Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elaine
    it may be that Ellen remarried after 1861 death of Dennis
    It confuses the situation when you see Collins and Collings transcribed incorrectly and you wonder if they are different people
    I am going to lay out in chronological order all events and see if they make sense (after i clear my head)
    Keep any hints ideas and suggestions coming please i will continue to monitor this thread
    Unfortunately some of the references suggested i cant open unless i take out subscriptions
    Brian
    avatar is my paternal grandmother Hazel May Sheridan (Coles /// Callaghan)
    researching Coles/Sheridan from Broken Hill Callaghan from Sydney P.J O'Flynn M.J Campbell from County Clare plus others as they pop up

Comment

I have just bit the bullet and ordered death cert 1861-vol 11a-page 48 and will see what it contains
      I cant find it in the delivery option from Registration Service but is it possible to get transcript sent electronically
      Brian
      researching Coles/Sheridan from Broken Hill Callaghan from Sydney P.J O'Flynn M.J Campbell from County Clare plus others as they pop up

Comment

on FMP it has this for the rheardon surname and various spellings!
        Callingham Timothy 1846 — 1846 England & Wales Births 1837-2006 Abergavenny, Monmouthshire, Wales

Callahan James 1857 — 1857 England & Wales Births 1837-2006 Abergavenny, Monmouthshire, Wales

Callan John 1853 — 1853 England & Wales Births 1837-2006 Abergavenny, Monmouthshire, Wales

Callin John 1843 — 1843 England & Wales Births 1837-2006 Abergavenny, Monmouthshire, Wales

and for Collings and variation
        Calaghan Thomas 1854 — 1854 England & Wales Births 1837-2006 Abergavenny, Monmouthshire, Wales

Callaghan Jeremiah Timothy 1848 — 1848 England & Wales Births 1837-2006 Abergavenny, Monmouthshire, Wales

can't see any O'Callaghans, no Mary, no Denis

Mary Callaghan 1857 MMN Lehan

and this one
        CALAHAN, MARY ANN COUCHLIN
        GRO Reference: 1856 J Quarter in ABERGAVENNY Volume 11A Page 101

off to bed now, must be able to find some children!
        Last edited by cbcarolyn; 07-01-20, 23:29.
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

ah found Mary with Collins
          O CALLAGHAN, MARY COLLINS
          GRO Reference: 1857 S Quarter in ABERGAVENNY Volume 11A Page 68
          Last edited by cbcarolyn; 07-01-20, 23:38.
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Brilliant, I couldn't find this one with MMN
            Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
            http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Carolyn
              do i require a sub to a particular site or can i just search GRO to see these references and get a copy
              Brian

Comment

Originally posted by 2weis View Post
                Carolyn
                do i require a sub to a particular site or can i just search GRO to see these references and get a copy
                Brian
                you can do all this for free:

For findmypast you can search the records and can add the mothers maiden name - you will need to register first, follow this link then:

you will not be able to view any of the actualy records, but you can do a wide date search to find a whole family.

Then I go to GRO (again you need to register first) - probably where you ordered the death cert?
                go to search the GRO indexes and you can add the surname, year with +/- 2 years and the sex. Additionally you can limit by MMN and also registration district.

Aberystruth is in Abergavenny until 1861 - I used FREEBMD also

I use this site to find the district:
                Last edited by cbcarolyn; 07-01-20, 23:55.
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by 2weis View Post
                  I have just bit the bullet and ordered death cert 1861-vol 11a-page 48 and will see what it contains
                  I cant find it in the delivery option from Registration Service but is it possible to get transcript sent electronically
                  Brian
                  Ones from this period are emailed as a pdf.

Comment

Jill
                    Thanks for that
                    brian

Comment

I have had another look for the children, according to the 1851 census there are 3 children, even that seems questionable!

Mike? age 6
                      Lorn? age 3
                      Timothy age 5

or on post #32 by Elaine
                      Dennis Ocalligan Head Mar 40 Laborer Ireland
                      Ellen Ocalligan Wife 38 Ireland
                      Mike Ocalligan Son 6 1845 Monmouthshire, Wales
                      Jerry Ocalligan Son Unmarried Male 3 1848 Monmouthshire, Wales
                      Timothy Ocalligan Son 3 1848 Monmouthshire, Wales

1851.JPG
                      In 1861
                      Tim age 13 (1848)
                      Dennis age 9 (1852)
                      Mary age 3 (1858)

Births found that seem to match:
                      Jeremiah Timothy Callaghan Q3 1848 Abergavenny MMN Collins
                      - 1851 census has a Jerry and a Tim!
                      O CALLAGHAN, MARY MMN COLLINS GRO Reference: 1857 S Quarter in ABERGAVENNY Volume 11A Page 68
                      O CALLAGAN, DENIS MMN COLLINS GRO Reference: 1851 S Quarter in ABERGAVENNY Volume 26 Page 14

other possibles?
                      CULLEN, WILLIAM MMN ROLLINGS GRO Reference: 1847 S Quarter in ABERGAVENNY Volume 26 Page 8
                      CALAGHAN, THOMAS MMN COLLINS GRO Reference: 1854 D Quarter in ABERGAVENNY Volume 11A Page 65
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Comment

aww guess these are the deaths:
                        O'CALLAGHAN, JEREMIAH age 9
                        GRO Reference: 1858 M Quarter in ABERGAVENNY Volume 11A Page 73
                        O'CALLAGHAN, THOMAS age 3
                        GRO Reference: 1858 M Quarter in ABERGAVENNY Volume 11A Page 65
                        Last edited by cbcarolyn; 08-01-20, 17:59.
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Comment

Carolyn
                          thanks for those references i will look into them
                          Brian

Comment

Denis O'Callaghan born 1812 Ireland BS
                            i have newspaper articles that he was involved in the death of a policeman in Bristol 19 june 1842 and while not found guilty was transported for 10 years
                            I have copies of pleas and references and a petition to the Queen .
                            If this is the correct Denis is it possible that at the end of his sentence or if a pardon was granted that he could return to England / Ireland .
                            As this is not an uncommon name it is possible i have merged 2 or more families and am stuck as to how to solve the mystery.
                            Any help or hints appreciated
                            Brian

Comment

I have merged your post with the one with all the gaol records and the family that Elaine found in Wales that was looking like your man. Have you dismissed this?

another thread on Denis here also
                              https://www.familytreeforum.com/foru...-cert-bedwelty
                              Last edited by cbcarolyn; 27-03-20, 10:45.
                              Carolyn
                              Family Tree site

Comment

carolyn
                                i will go through all the hints again but what confuses me is the fact he was sent to V D L and some how returned
                                Brian

Comment

I think you have 2 different people the chap who went to VDL has a wife and children in Ireland, and came over for the harvest possibly every year. There maybe more records on this one in Ireland? and therefore not likely to on Wales census. He may not have come back from VDL either.

The other is the one in Wales, that has been found on the census.

I think - I can't quite remember, I would have to re read the thread.
                                  Last edited by cbcarolyn; 27-03-20, 14:02.
                                  Carolyn
                                  Family Tree site

Comment

Have been trying to find something in Irish records. I can't find a baptism for Denis O'Callaghan in the Clonakilty area on the irishgenealogy site and or a marriage to an Ellen Collins.

Clonakility Catholic records are on the nli site but you have to trawl through the registers which is hard going as the writing is not clear. The bpt are 1809-1827 and the marriages 1811-1880
                                    This website contains images from the NLI’s collection of Catholic parish register microfilms. The registers contain records of baptisms and marriages from the majority of Catholic parishes in Ireland and Northern Ireland up to 1880.

Comment

here is a quick summary of the records that were found in this thread

Here is a summary of the records found – I think this is everything:
                                      1841 on his own in Abergavenny
                                      https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/8979/MONHO107_743_744-0555/8284737

1851 Abergavenny with the family (transcribed badly Lewis)
                                      Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Post 50 has an image

Dennis Ocalligan Head Mar 40 Laborer Ireland
                                      Ellen Ocalligan Wife 38 Ireland
                                      Mike Ocalligan Son 6 1845 Monmouthshire, Wales
                                      Jerry Ocalligan Son Unmarried Male 3 1848 Monmouthshire, Wales
                                      Timothy Ocalligan Son 3 1848 Monmouthshire, Wales

1861 Aberystruth
                                      https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/8768/MONRG9_3994_3997-1034?pid=13434933
                                      Dennis C Callagan 49
                                      Ellen Callagan 38
                                      Tim Callagan 13
                                      Dennis Callagan 9
                                      Mary Callagan 4

1871 https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:V55C-R7X
                                      Ellen remarried
                                      James Donovan 50
                                      Ellen Donovan 50
                                      Mary A Callaghan 15

Children from census with likely birth regs
                                      Michael 1845
                                      Jeremiah Timothy 1848
                                      birth - Jeremiah Timothy Callaghan Q3 1848 Abergavenny MMN Collins
                                      Death - O'CALLAGHAN, JEREMIAH age 9
                                      GRO Reference: 1858 M Quarter in ABERGAVENNY Volume 11A Page 73
                                      Dennis 1851
                                      Birth - O CALLAGAN, DENIS MMN COLLINS GRO Reference: 1851 S Quarter in ABERGAVENNY Volume 26 Page 14
                                      Thomas 1854
                                      Birth - CALAGHAN, THOMAS MMN COLLINS GRO Reference: 1854 D Quarter in ABERGAVENNY Volume 11A Page 65
                                      Death - O'CALLAGHAN, THOMAS age 3
                                      GRO Reference: 1858 M Quarter in ABERGAVENNY Volume 11A Page 65
                                      Mary 1857
                                      Birth - O CALLAGHAN, MARY COLLINS
                                      GRO Reference: 1857 S Quarter in ABERGAVENNY Volume 11A Page 68

Post 19 Has death of Dennis:
                                      Just come across something in the Welsh newspapers

https://newspapers.library.wales/vie...is%20Callaghan

BLAINA. FATAL ACCIDENT —On Wednesday the 22nd instant, an accident occurred at these works, which resulted in the death of a man, named Dennis O'Callaghan, aged 46 years...

I used to live in Abergavenny and thought it's a bit further out into the valley but looking at Welsh deaths putting in Dennis *allaghan, there is only one death registered that I can see in 1861.

CALLAGHAN, DENNIS 46
                                      GRO Reference: 1861 J Quarter in ABERGAVENNY Volume 11A Page 48

Re the other Denis
                                      Post 28 says the other Denis had never left Clonakilty at the time of the offence 1842 – so the 1841 census unlikely to be him.

I have not kept the documents I downloaded, but I remember a letter from his brother mentioning a wife and children in Ireland, all of the above children were born in Wales.
                                      Carolyn
                                      Family Tree site

Comment

I remember we were wondering about the 2 sons who must have died in an accident, I was looking at Ellen who appears to have married as Collings and came across a burial for a James Donovan of Blaina age 60 Aberystruth records

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Can't remember how I got here but Michael Occaligan burial age 12 Blaina

And newspaper account of how he died

Jeremiah Occaligan

Newspaper account

Elaine

Comment

Looking for Callaghan, Denis has been trancsribed as Davies but I am having trouble posting the original
                                          Elaine

Comment

Working...
                                          X