A Golden Wedding and an extra grandchild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gardengirl View Post
    I really shouldn't be glued to the computer this morning - lots of other things need doing today but this is so intriguing. I've been back to FreeBMD and found that the marriage of Florence and Charles happened in the same quarter as the birth of Dennis in 1927. I'm guessing her father was not happy! No wonder she went a long way from Canterbury!

More investigations needed - who needs housework!
    Since I last posted, I have ordered the marriage cert for Charles and Florence and the birth cert for Dennis. The marriage cert arrived today but no birth so I'll have to wait a bit longer to see which came first - the marriage or the baby? Anyway, it looks as if her parents hadn't totally disowned her as they both attended the registry office wedding as witnesses.

Her husband, Charles Pollard Peett, is listed as Corporal 2nd Battalion, The Buffs, No 6279197, Blenheim Barracks, North Camp, Farnborough (which gives rise to more questions). My first port of call was to look for his military record but I have looked on Ancestry and FMP but didn't find anything. Could anyone suggest where / how else to find out about his service record? Additional information is that I believe they were divorced not long after they were married and that Charles died in 1942 aged 40.
    Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

Post WWI military records are still with the MOD from memory. You need to be next of kin to apply for them.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
        Post WWI military records are still with the MOD from memory. You need to be next of kin to apply for them.
        That's a shame :-(

The second brown envelope arrived today so the story is ....

Married on 19 July 1927, baby arrived on 24 August 1927. I wonder what the circumstances were? Anybody like to hazard a guess?
        Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

And finally, Florence's father's will has arrived which shows that she had later remarried and was given an equal share of the inheritance with her sisters so it would appear that her 'indiscretion' had been forgiven. Let's hope that her second marriage was more successful than the first one.

I'm so pleased that I decided to order that will. I feel it has tied up a loose end. Although I might delve deeper one day and find out more about the family, I'm happy with them now.

I wonder if she wrote a will? ........

Comment

Working...
          X