Sent to Tasmania

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sent to Tasmania

If you get sent to Tasmania in 1836 for 14 years could you come home early or would you have to serve the full sentence

Heading wrongly spelt
    Tasmania
    soz

Comment

sent from where ???
      if mainland Australia most probably yes
      if England doubtful
      avatar is my paternal grandmother Hazel May Sheridan (Coles /// Callaghan)
      researching Coles/Sheridan from Broken Hill Callaghan from Sydney P.J O'Flynn M.J Campbell from County Clare plus others as they pop up

Comment

If you post the person's details then his/her record may well be online. Very few people came 'home' again.

Comment

He went from England as James Henderson (Alexander Burnett) to Tasmania 14 years he was a watch maker

Comment

I think people got a ticket of leave after a few years of good behaviour but as Teasie says, very few came back t the uk, they couldn't afford the fare for a stsrt. Also, some never actually went in the first place.

OC

Comment

He got his ticket of leave 13 Jan 1843 and was recommended for a conditional pardon on 24 Dec 1844; which was granted 16 Dec 1845. The 'condition' was that he remain "in the Island of Van Diemen's Land, or some or one of Her Majesty's Australian Colonies, or New Zealand"

Comment

Not sure if it helps, but his conduct record says he was employed as a barber.

Comment

Possibly unconnected but I'll mention it given the date, there was a James Henderson crewing aboard the whaling ship 'Nimrod' out of Hobart 21 Mar 1846.

Not sure if its the same voyage or a different one, but on 8 Apr 1846 it was reported that the captain had broken his articles of agreement by putting into Sydney with a crew he had shipped for a whaling voyage.

Comment

Originally posted by Caz589 View Post
                    Heading wrongly spelt
                    Tasmania
                    soz
                    Corrected for you.

Comment

you've spelt tas correctly ..

where is the incorrect spelling of it ?

Comment

Silver ...............

corrected by Moderator (Jill), as stated by her in the post immediately before yours!
                        My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

but I had a look at the first post, and nothing wrong with it ..

am I going blind ???

Comment

There is nothing wrong with the spelling NOW because it has been corrected. It was wrong before it was corrected, now it is right.

OC

Comment

oh ok ..

Comment

Working...
                              X