Security support for widows 7 ending

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Security support for widows 7 ending

14th January 2020, is ending, I am sure I read somewhere (on here but can't find sorry) that as long as you have a security in place like... Kaspersky, Norton,BT Virus protect etc you should be OK...just read this on facebook.....Its easy to upgrade to Windows10 for free, just change your clock in Windows to just before July 29, 2016 when the upgrade was free and bingo free Windows 10. As long as your Windows 7 is activated and legit it'll work. MS know about the glitch and apparently haven't sorted it as they don't seem to care. are they just scaremongering , as I don't really want to change my Laptop window 7, any one any ideas......thanks..

Lilly

Sorry, don't know the answer but had to smile at your heading
    Anne

Comment

oh yea, lol just noticed it, well as least it made you smile. ;)

Lilly

Comment

Once support for Windows7 ends, there will be no further security updates released for it.

No matter how many 3rd party security apps you have, they will not protect you against any future security issues that become apparent within that version of Windows.

In short, if you want to maintain the security of your operating system, you will need to upgrade to one that is still receiving support.
        https://squeakerslair.wordpress.com

Comment

So (sorry if I appear a bit thick, but I am sure I'm not the only one, who has Windows 7) if I have say Mcafee, Kaspersky, Norton etc I should be OK as they have updates, if not will I likely be hacked, so do I have to panic and either upgrade to windows 10 or buy a new laptop....

thanks

Lilly

Comment

Have to say I am not sure what to do about my parents, thinking I will just give it a miss. Don't think they switch it on these days!

Here is an answer on Norton:

So simple answer is yes with Norton, but not as protected if on Win10, so you will have to check your particular product I guess.

If you do decide to try the upgrade, you will probably install the first version for win10, and then you will have to install each of the upgrades. I did this with an old laptop ages ago.
            Last edited by cbcarolyn; 17-12-19, 12:27.
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
            Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by Lilly the flower View Post
              So (sorry if I appear a bit thick, but I am sure I'm not the only one, who has Windows 7) if I have say Mcafee, Kaspersky, Norton etc I should be OK as they have updates, if not will I likely be hacked, so do I have to panic and either upgrade to windows 10 or buy a new laptop....

thanks

Lilly
              Antivirus/Antimalware software will do exactly what it says on the tin... and absolutely nothing else. It cannot ever replace the security inherent with a modern, supported operating system.
              The choice ultimately is up to you, but you will be at greater risk remaining on Windows7.
              https://squeakerslair.wordpress.com

Comment

Working...
              X