Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying to find Irish ancestor's birth record???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to find Irish ancestor's birth record???

Hello, everyone! I've done a lot of research on my Irish 3x great-grandfather, James C. Glennon for a long time now and just this year thanks to some lovely helpers, I was able to trace where he was from in Ireland when for a long time, I hadn't been sure. But I've been finding that trying to track down his birth certificate in order to find the identity of his parents has proved almost impossible - every time I thought I'd nearly found it, it turned out to be incorrect. I was hoping that someone could help me out with this?

I know he was born in Westmeath, Ireland and I have two accounts that list his age: an 1850 Census of Drew County, Arkansas where he spent the later years of his life and an Army Enlistment in Boston, Massachusetts - likely not long after he had immigrated here.

According to the census, he was 34 as of October 22, 1850, making his birth year 1816. And according to the Army Enlistment, he was 22 as of September 5, 1837, making his birth year 1815.

So, the date of his birth was somewhere between Sep. 5 - Oct. 22 of 1816 in Westmeath, Ireland.

I know there's a lot of Glennons in Mullingar - more than other places in Ireland perhaps? - but I'm still not certain.

Seems like every record I've found so far has been off in some way or another and I can't find out how to pinpoint it to where I know it's definitely his. If it's any help to anyone, the names of some of his children were Franklin, Frederick, Julius, Louisa, and Mary.

Any further help with this would be MUCH appreciated!!!

You're looking for a baptism record, not a birth certificate. Irish civil registration began in 1864.

Was he catholic or protestant? Do you have a marriage record?

Comment

You could try posting on Elwyn's Northern Ireland assistance thread. Tho Westmeath is not part of his lookup offer, he may be able to suggest resources:

I have a great-great uncle born in Ireland. His estimated DOB over several censuses ranges over at least 10 years, including his DC - I have his birth registration. Anyway,I'd suggest taking the age from censuses as merely a suggestion, not a fact.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
        You're looking for a baptism record, not a birth certificate. Irish civil registration began in 1864.

Was he catholic or protestant? Do you have a marriage record?
        Unfortunately, I have no idea on that point. And as for a marriage record, I'm actually not certain. I believe he met his wife in either Alabama or Georgia but I've never thought to look there. The records in Drew County though - most of them I'm not able to track down due to a courthouse fire back in 1921. So a lot of those were destroyed. Although, I bet it's worth a look to check into the marriage records in Georgia and Alabama. I know he moved with her and her family to Arkansas but I'm just not sure if they were married upon arriving or married WHEN they arrived...

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
          You could try posting on Elwyn's Northern Ireland assistance thread. Tho Westmeath is not part of his lookup offer, he may be able to suggest resources:

I have a great-great uncle born in Ireland. His estimated DOB over several censuses ranges over at least 10 years, including his DC - I have his birth registration. Anyway,I'd suggest taking the age from censuses as merely a suggestion, not a fact.
          That's a good idea! Thank you for that, I might post there and see if anyone knows anything. I've never really heard a lot about the Glennons at all outside of Drew County until I stumbled across a TON of Glennons in Boston upon finding James' army enlistment.

Comment

Originally posted by StarQueen View Post
            ...I have two accounts that list his age: an 1850 Census of Drew County, Arkansas where he spent the later years of his life and an Army Enlistment in Boston, Massachusetts - likely not long after he had immigrated here.

According to the census, he was 34 as of October 22, 1850, making his birth year 1816. And according to the Army Enlistment, he was 22 as of September 5, 1837, making his birth year 1815.
            How sure are you that the 1850 man is yours? The only 1850 I could find in Drew County is for a James C Glenon (sic) aged 34, physician, but born in Florida, not Ireland. He is with wife Mariah A, aged 21 born in Georgia.

And how sure are you that the Arkansas James is the same man you have found enlisting in 1837 in Massachusetts? That one is for a James Glennon who is a clerk, born Co Westmeath.

I notice you have now posted to Elwyn's NI thread where you mention wife Mariah, so it seems we are looking at the same records - I just can't see at this point what connects the 1837 and 1850.

If the 1850 man is definitely your 3G grandfather, any possible Irish connection would seem to be from an earlier generation as the original image clearly states he was born in Florida.

My next step would be to try and find the James-Mariah marriage if possible, which would hopefully give his father's name.

Good luck!

Christine
            Researching:
            HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Originally posted by Karamazov View Post
              How sure are you that the 1850 man is yours? The only 1850 I could find in Drew County is for a James C Glenon (sic) aged 34, physician, but born in Florida, not Ireland. He is with wife Mariah A, aged 21 born in Georgia.

And how sure are you that the Arkansas James is the same man you have found enlisting in 1837 in Massachusetts? That one is for a James Glennon who is a clerk, born Co Westmeath.

I notice you have now posted to Elwyn's NI thread where you mention wife Mariah, so it seems we are looking at the same records - I just can't see at this point what connects the 1837 and 1850.

If the 1850 man is definitely your 3G grandfather, any possible Irish connection would seem to be from an earlier generation as the original image clearly states he was born in Florida.

My next step would be to try and find the James-Mariah marriage if possible, which would hopefully give his father's name.

Good luck!

Christine
              Yes, that's him! I had actually thought he was born in Florida for a long time before someone found that Army Enlistment for me and it said he was discharged in Florida - therefore making sense of why it said Florida as where he was from. I always knew that was the family story that he was from Florida but it never made sense until I saw that document.

No, see, here's the family story - either James or his father was from Ireland and had immigrated with his (6, 7, or 8 brothers - that part differs in each story you find) and all died apart from one. Obviously there are a lot of holes in that story so none of it ever made sense to me as to why he'd move all the way from Boston (where I found a lot of Glennons had immigrated to around that time) all the way to Florida then move all the way to a rural area in Arkansas. So I actually figured it out based on both the birth year, the fact of being discharged in Florida when I've never found any records of Glennons there around that time, coupled with his description. All the Glennons I've found on record in my family - draft registration cards, etc - were listed as having "dark hair and gray eyes" which is very specific and it matched that James perfectly.

But here's the bad news which I just found out a few minutes ago - I looked into the Georgia records as suggested and after a bit, I finally figured out what area Anna was in when she met James which was McIntosh County. So they married probably around 1849 both based on her birth year (1831) as well as the birth year of their first child (1850). But...apparently, there was a fire there during the Civil War about 1863 or so that destroyed that county's records.

So if there was a marriage license on record for them, it's gone now.

*sighs* This is just my luck lol.

Comment

Nobody said it would be easy ....
                And there are more records than just CivReg records.
                Please link the records that you are certain are his. Census? Cemetery? DC?
                Do you know for certain when he died?

I've been told that land records provide a lot of information for Southern states. Here's what FS lists for Drew County:

And specifically for land records in Drew:

Those little cameras indicate that the records have been filmed - but there's no digital index. You will have to use the index created by the county, then use that index info to find the actual records that you are looking for. Labor of love.

Good luck. And of course - your mileage may vary - there are no guarantees that you'll find anything ;)

Comment

The list of family surnames in this book includes Glennon:
                  Family Maps of Drew County, Arkansasby Gregory A. Boyd, J.D.298 pages with 86 total mapsLocating original landowners in maps has never been an easy task-until now. This volume in the Family Maps series contains newly created maps of original landowners (patent maps) in what is now Drew County, Arkansas, gleaned from the indexes of the U.S. Bureau of Land Management. But it offers much more than that. For each township in the county, there are two additional maps accompanying the patent map: a road map and a map showing waterways, railroads, and both modern and many historical city-centers and cemeteries.Included are indexes to help you locate what you are looking for, whether you know a person's name, a last name, a place-name, or a cemetery. The combination of maps and indexes are designed to aid researchers of American history or genealogy to explore frontier neighborhoods, examine family migrations, locate hard-to-find cemeteries and towns, as well as locate land based on legal descriptions found in old documents or deeds.The patent-maps are essentially plat maps but instead of depicting owners for a particular year, these maps show original landowners, no matter when the transfer from the federal government was completed. Dates of patents typically begin near the time of statehood and run into the early 1900s.List of Details Found Below . . .  What's Mapped in his book?  What YEARS are these maps for?  What Cities and Towns are in Drew County, Arkansas (and in this book)?  Acts of Congress Authorizing . . .  Indexes in this book  Reviews by the Experts . . .  Surnames found in this book  Book SpecificationsWhat's Mapped in this book (that you'll not likely find elsewhere) . . .    4525 Parcels of Land  (with original landowner names and patent-dates labeled in the relevant map)    70 Cemeteries    plus . . .    Roads, and existing Rivers, Creeks, Streams, Railroads, and Small-towns (including some historical), etc.Back to Top of DescriptionWhat YEARS are these maps for?Here are the counts for parcels of land mapped, by the decade in which the corresponding land patents were issued: Decade Parcel-count 1830s 532 1840s 316 1850s 2039 1860s 1106 1870s 37 1880s 88 1890s 196 1900s 123 1910s 81 1920s 7 Back to Top of DescriptionWhat Cities and Towns are in Drew County, Arkansas (and in this book)?Allis, Barkada, Baxter, Bethel, Beulah, Bowser (historical), Brandon, Carpenter, Coleman, College Heights, Collins, Cominto, Deane, Enon, Florence, Goose Hollow, Green Hill, Jade (historical), Jerome, Jeter (historical), Jordan (historical), Killin, Lacey, Ladelle, Leavits (historical), Lewis, Lone Sasafras (historical), Monticello, Montongo, Moody (historical), Negro Bend (historical), New Hope, Oakwoods (historical), Old Piney (historical), Old Union (historical), Ozmont Bluff (historical), Paradise (historical), Plantersville, Prairie Grove, Red Neck (historical), Reed Settlement (historical), Rock Springs, Rose Hill, Rough and Ready (historical), Scipio, Scrouge Out (historical), Selma, Shiloh, Sixteenth Section, Tennessee, Tillar, Troy (historical), Valley Junction, Wilmar, Winchester, YoungstownBack to Top of DescriptionActs of Congress Authorizing the Land Patents in this book:   April 24, 1820: Sale-Cash Entry (3 Stat. 566)   May 20, 1862: Homestead EntryOriginal (12 Stat. 392)   July 22, 1854: Public Land Donation (10 Stat. 308)   March 3, 1855: ScripWarrant Act of 1855 (10 Stat. 701)   September 28, 1850: Swamp Land Grant-Patent (9 Stat. 519)Back to Top of DescriptionIndexes in this book-Surnames in the County  * number of times each Surname occurs-Surname/Township Index  * every Surname and the frequency in which each appears in relevant Township-level Maps-Full-Name Index (of Original Landowners) for each Township-Populated Places-Cemeteries-Multi-Patentees (Groups of people who acquired land together)Back to Top of DescriptionReviews by the ExpertsWhat they are saying about the Family Maps series: instant gratification! - Elizabeth Shown Mills, Author, Evidence Explained: Citing History Sources from Artifacts to Cyberspace incredible on-going series . . . - Christine Rose, Author, Courthouse Research for Family Historians must have publications . . . - Dick Eastman, Eastman's Online Genealogy Newsletter a great service . . . - Sharon Tate Moody, former President, Association of Professional Genealogists Back to Top of DescriptionSURNAMES found in this Book: ABERNATHY, ABERNETHY, ADAMS, ADCOCK, AGEE, AKIN, ALLEN, ALSOBROOK, AMMONS, ANDERSON, ANDREW, ARKANSAS, ARNOLD, ARRINGTON, ASHLEY, AUSTIN, AVENT, AVERY, AYCOCK, AZMENT, BAILEY, BAKER, BALDY, BALL, BALLARD, BANKS, BAREFIELD, BARKER, BARNES, BARNETT, BARRETT, BASSETT, BATY, BATZ, BAUCUM, BAXTER, BEARD, BEASLEY, BEATY, BEESON, BELCHER, BERRY, BERRYMAN, BETTIS, BIGALOW, BIGELOW, BIGGS, BINNS, BIRCH, BLAIR, BLALOCK, BOAL, BOCUM, BODLEY, BOND, BORDEAUX, BOSWELL, BOULIVER, BOULWARE, BOWDEN, BOWMAN, BOYD, BOYKIN, BOYTE, BRADEN, BRADSHAW, BRADY, BRANTLEY, BRINKLEY, BROOKS, BROWN, BRUCE, BRYANT, BUCHANAN, BURCH, MCALISTER, MCALLISTER, BURKS, BURNS, BURTON, BUSH, BUSSELL, BUSSEY, BUTLER, CABNESS, CAIN, CALHOUN, CAMPBELL, CAMRON, CANE, CARCUFF, CARLTON, CARNAL, CARNEL, CARNELL, CARPENTER, CARR, CARRELL, CARROLL, CARSON, CARTER, CASON, CASTLEBERRY, CASTLEBURRY, CAVANESS, CHAIVES, CHALK, CHAMBERS, CHANDLER, CHAPMAN, CHEAIRS, CHERRY, CHESNUTT, CHILDRESS, CHOWNING, CHRISTMAS, CLARK, CLAYTON, CLOUER, CLOWER, COBB, COFFMAN, COLE, COLEMAN, COLLIER, COLLINS, COLMON, COMPANY, CONLY, COOK, COOPER, CORBIN, CORNING, CORNISH, COTHAM, COTNER, COTTOM, COVINGTON, COWAN, COWARD, CRAIG, CRAIN, CRAWFORD, CREIGHTON, CRISLER, CROOK, CROW, CRUCE, CUNINGHAM, CUNNINGHAM, CURL, CURRY, DABNEY, DANIEL, DAVIE, DAVIS, DAWKINS, DAWSON, DAY, DEAL, DEARMOND, DELANEY, DELOACH, DENDY, DENNIS, DENTON, DENTY, DESHOUGH, DEWEESE, DIAL, DICKEY, DICKSON, DIKES, DILL, DISHONGH, DISMUKES, DOLLAR, DOLTON, DONALDSON, DOUGLASS, DOWNING, DRAPER, DRINKER, DUNCAN, DUNLAP, DUPREE, DURHAM, DYKES, DYSON, EAGER, EDMISTON, EGLESTON, ELEY, ELLIS, EPINETT, ERWIN, ETHERIDGE, ETHRIDGE, EUBANKS, EVANS, EVERETT, EVRETT, FAIRCHILD, FANCHER, FARBRIDGE, FARIS, FARQUHAR, FARRIS, FATHERREE, FEE, FERGUSON, FLEMING, FLEMISTER, FLOYD, FORD, FORRESTER, FOSTER, FRANKLIN, FRAZIER, FRYAR, FULLER, FUR, FURGUSON, FUTCH, GABBERT, GABBIE, GADDY, GAINES, GAINS, GALLASPY, GALLOWWAY, GAMNEL, GANISON, GARDNER, GARDNIER, GARISON, GARLINGTON, GARNER, GARVIN, GASTER, GASTOR, GEE, GERMANY, GIBSON, GILL, GILLESPIE, GILLHAM, GLENNON, GLOVER, GODWIN, GOINS, GOODMAN, GOODWIN, GORDON, GOSNEY, GOVAN, GOYNE, GRAHAM, GRANDY, GRANT, GRAVES, GREEN, GREER, GRESHAM, GRIDER, GRIFFITH, GRIGGS, GRIMES, GRIMSHAW, GRINSTEAD, GRISHAM, GRUBB, GRUBBS, GUICE, GUINN, GULLEDGE, GULLETT, GUTHRIE, GWIN, GWINN, HABERYAN, HAFFORD, HAIR, HALE, HALES, HALL, HALLEY, HALSELL, HAMACK, HAMILTON, HAMMACK, HAMMET, HAMMIL, HANDLEY, HANDLY, HANKINS, HANKS, HANLEY, HANNAH, HARBIN, HARDESON, HARDISON, HARDY, HARLEY, HARPER, HARREL, HARRELL, HARRIS, HARRISON, HARROLD, HARVEY, HARVILL, HARWELL, HASKEY, HASSKEW, HATCHELL, HAYLE, HAYNES, HAZLE, HEFLIN, HEMENWAY, HEMINGWAY, HEMMINGWAY, HENDRICK, HENDRICKS, HENLEY, HENRY, HERRING, HERRINGTON, HERROD, HESTER, HIGGASON, HIGHTOWER, HILL, HINES, HOGUE, HOLLAND, HOLMAN, HOLSONBAKE, HOOKER, HOPKINS, HORN, HORTON, HOSEA, HOUGH, HOUSE, HOWARD, HOWELL, HUBBARD, HUDSPETH, HUGHEN, HUGHES, HUGHS, HUMPHRESS, HUMPHREY, HUNDLEY, HUNT, HUNTINGTON, HUSKEY, HUSSEY, HUTCHESON, HUTSON, HYATT, HYNES, IRWIN, ISOM, IVY, JACKS, JACKSON, JAGGERS, JAMESON, JETER, JOHNS, JOHNSON, JOHNSTON, JONES, JORDAN, JULIAN, KEEN, KEMP, KENNADY, KERSH, KILLIAN, KIMBRO, KING, KIRBY, KIRKPATRICK, KIRTON, KNIGHT, KNOWLES, KNOX, KUSH, LABOEFF, LAING, LAKE, LAMB, LAMBERT, LAMKIN, LANDINGHAM, LANE, LANGDON, LANGFORD, LANNIUS, LARKIN, LARKINS, LATHAN, LAUHON, LAW, LEE, LEGETT, LEGGETT, LEPHIEW, LEWIS, LILLARD, LINDSEY, LINDZEY, LITTLEFIELD, LOCKHART, LOGAN, LOW, LOWE, LUCAS, LUCKEY, LUSBY, LYLE, LYLES, LYNCH, MACKEY, MAGRUDER, MAJORS, MALONE, MANEES, MARSHAL, MARTIN, MASSEY, MASTERS, MATHEWS, MATHIS, MATTHEWS, MAXWELL, MAYS, MCBRIDE, MCCALL, MCCARVER, MCCAY, MCCLAIN, MCCLENNA, MCCLURE, MCCONE, MCCORD, MCCOWEN, MCCOY, MCCRAY, MCDANIEL, MCDERMOTT, MCGHEE, MCGOWAN, MCGRAW, MCGREGOR, MCGRIFF, MCGUIRE, MCKAY, MCKEIVER, MCKIEVER, MCKINSTRY, MCNEELY, MCQUISTON, MCRAE, MCSHAN, MEANS, MEASLES, MEEK, MELTON, MERCHANT, MERONEY, MERRIDETH, MHOON, MILAM, MILES, MILLER, MILLERD, MIMS, MINOR, MINSHEW, MITCHELL, MONCRIEF, MOORE, MOREHEAD, MORGAN, MORRIS, MORSE, MOULTON, MULLIS, MURPHY, MURRAY, MURRELL, MURRY, NALL, NASH, NEIDEVER, NEILSON, NELSON, NETTLER, NEWELL, NEWMAN, NEWTON, NICHOLAS, NICHOLS, NICOLL, NOWLEN, NUNN, OAKES, OLIVER, OLLISON, ONEIL, ONEILL, OSWALD, OTWELL, OWEN, OWENS, OZMENT, PACKARD, PARKER, PARRISH, PASCHALL, PATRICK, PATTERSON, PAYNE, PEACOCK, PEARCE, PEARSON, PEEBLES, PEEPLES, PENDERGAST, PERRY, PHILIPS, PHILLIPS, PIERCE, PIERSON, PITTS, PLANT, PLATTENBURG, POLK, POLLARD, POPE, PORTER, POSEY, POST, POTTS, POWELL, PRATT, PREUIT, PREWIT, PREWITT, PRICE, PRIEST, PRITCHARD, PULLEY, PULLIAM, PURVIS, RAGLAND, RAGSDALE, RASH, READING, REDMON, REECE, REED, REIVES, REMLEY, REYNOLDS, RHOADES, RHODES, RICE, RICHARDSON, RICHMOND, RIDGELL, RIDGILL, RIGBY, RILEY, RINER, RIVES, ROBERSON, ROBERTS, ROBERTSON, ROBINS, ROBINSON, ROBISON, RODGERS, ROGERS, ROLLS, ROPER, ROSE, ROWEL, ROWELL, ROWLETT, ROWLS, ROYAL, RUSS, RUSSELL, RUST, RUTH, RUTHERFORD, SALLEY, SANDUSKOY, SANDUSKY, SANFORD, SASSER, SAWYER, SAWYERS, SCARBOROUGH, SCONYERS, SCOTT, SCOWYERS, SEITZLER, SENTELL, SHELBY, SHELTON, SHEPARD, SHEPHERD, SHORTER, SHULTS, SIMMONS, SIMPSON, SIMS, SINCLAIR, SKINNER, SKIPPER, SLEMONS, SLOCOMB, SLOCUM, SMALL, SMITH, SNEED, SORRELS, SPAIN, SPARKMAN, SPARKS, SPENCER, SPENSER, SPICER, SPILEY, SPIVEY, SPRINGER, STANDLEY, STEADMAN, STEDMAN, STEEN, STEPHENS, STEVENS, STEWART, STILL, STITT, STOKES, STONE, STRICKLAND, STRICKLIN, STRONG, STUARD, STUDMAN, SUDDATH, SULLIVAN, SUMMERFORD, SUMRALL, SUTTON, SWAN, TAGERT, TAGGART, TALBERT, TARVER, TATE, TAYLOR, TEER, TERRAL, TERREL, TERRY, THAMES, THOMAS, THOMPSON, THORNTON, THROCKMORTON, THURMAN, THURMON, TIFFIN, TILGHMAN, TILLAR, TINDOL, TINER, TINNEY, TODD, TONCHSTONE, TOUCHSTONE, TOWNSEND, TRANTHAM, TRIBBLE, TROTTER, TRULOVE, TUBB, TUBBS, TUCKER, TUCKERMAN, TULLY, TURNER, TWITTY, USELTON, VAN LANDINGHAM, VANLANDINGHAM, VAUGINE, VEASEY, VERNON, VINING, WALES, WALKER, WALL, WALLACE, WARD, WARNACY, WASHINGTON, WATSON, WATTLEY, WATTS, WEATHERALL, WEATHERFORD, WEAVER, WEBB, WEBSTER, WELCH, WELLS, WEST, WETHERS, WHALEY, WHELSTONE, WHITAKER, WHITE, WHITEAKER, WHITEHEAD, WHITNEY, WHITTEAKER, WHITTINGTON, WIGLEY, WILBURN, WILEY, WILKERSON, WILLCUT, WILLETT, WILLIAMS, WILLIAMSON, WILLS, WILLSON, WILSON, WIMBERLY, WINNINGHAM, WISE, WITHERS, WOLF, WOLFE, WOOD, WOODARD, WOODS, WOOLEY, WOOTON, WRIGHT, WYATT, WYELS, WYNNE, YARBROUGH, YORK, YOUNGBack to Top of DescriptionBook Specifications Binding Option Copyright Year Dimensions ISBN ISBN13 Paperback 2010 8-5/16' x 10-3/4' 1420311190 9781420311198 Spiral-bound 2005 8-1/2' x 11' (plus coil) 1420300105 9781420300109 Hardbound 2005 8-1/2' x 11' 1420301551 9781420301557 Back to Top of Description

not sure how you can get a copy, tho. You might ask at your local library.

Comment

So, are you certain that the Boston record is his? Which war? It would make little sense for him to be living in AR, go to Boston to enlist??

Comment

Here's another Labor of love - probate records in Drew Co - like before, images of the county's index and records are available, but no digitized index. I haven't checked Ancestry - some US probates are available there
                      Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
                        So, are you certain that the Boston record is his? Which war? It would make little sense for him to be living in AR, go to Boston to enlist??
                        I am, yes. It matches the family stories as well as the areas he lived in.

Here's what I know for sure about him and his life.

James was born in either 1815?? or 1816?? in Westmeath, Ireland according to an Army Enlistment document: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QJD5-5LR2

The first census I can find him in though is in 1850 in Drew County: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M67C-HNW

And unfortunately, the last documents I have of him are only found on Ancestry which I don't have a subscription for but are as follows:

2 land patents filed for in Drew County
                        The 1860 Mortality Rate Schedule for Drew County

And lastly, a census of his wife and children after his passing in 1860: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M8WM-LLH

James died in February of that year. He married his wife, Anna Mariah Atkins (daughter of Catlett James Atkins and wife, Harriet Chapman), in Georgia around 1849 or so. Sometime in 1850, they moved to Drew County where after his death, she re-married two times.

But before he met Anna, as it states in the Enlistment document, he was sent to Fort King in Florida - meaning he fought in the Seminole Wars. Anna's father was a trader and translator for the Native Americans in the area and had started his own store in Georgia which is where I assume James - after he was discharged from the army - had met Anna.
                        Last edited by StarQueen; 17-12-19, 21:24.

Comment

Ah, and thank you for the maps and probates! I'll be sure to check them out. I hadn't thought to look in the maps before - I think a cousin had drawn up a map of where the old homestead was supposed to have been for James but I haven't been there myself.

Comment

Originally posted by StarQueen View Post
                            hadn't thought to look in the maps before
                            If you can lay your hands on the book, it might have interesting info. This one seems to be 20th century, which makes me think of someone with a local interest drew from land records and put a chronology of that info together. The old ones I've seen (late 19th century) often had biographic info for the landowners. The book may simplify your search in the land records.

Have you contacted the local county historical or genealogy society, or a county museum? They often know resources, and sometimes even have a file of biographies for settlers. Sometimes the local public library is the repository of local history, or even the host of the society.

Local newspapers - it may be possible that the local newspaper still exists, and the above society knows about them or even has a copy of them.
                            Last edited by PhotoFamily; 18-12-19, 02:32.

Comment

Probably of limited use, but might be interesting - have you tried to trace his regiment? "2 Inf D" should be 2nd Infantry, Company D. Also, knowing his date of discharge might be useful, but I don't know what to make of the date that follows "P.O. Aug 26th/52"

There are war forums - sometimes you can get a history buff who can really help track down records.

Comment

A physician in 1850, but he was discharged as a private. He gained the knowledge somewhere?

BTW - at some point in time, the Irish in the US started to face discrimination. I would have guessed it started in the latter half the 1800s. At any rate, if he came to the US as a child or young adult, he may have felt he was American. Florida as his birth place on the census is something to keep an eye on, but not an absolute certainty in my mind.
                                Last edited by PhotoFamily; 18-12-19, 02:48.

Comment

from the mortality sched:
                                  Name: J C Glennan
                                  Marital status: Married
                                  Estimated birth year: abt 1817
                                  Birth Place: Florida
                                  Death Date: Feb 1860
                                  Cause of Death: Infbamation Brain
                                  Census Year: 1860
                                  Census Place: Vensey, Drew , Arkansas , USA
                                  Line: 27

His occupation is listed as MD. If he went to GA after his discharge from the army, I wonder if he went to school in GA. Wonder if you can find a record for it?

BTW - most public libraries have access to the "library edition" of Ancestry. You must go there to use it. Also, if you can find a Family History Center near you, they have access to many genealogy databases, without charge to you.

Comment

There should be more probate record information than that single page, which just seems to be the assignment of administrators.
                                    Last edited by PhotoFamily; 18-12-19, 03:11.

Comment

Working...
                                    X