Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shannon Family Mystery

Hi guys,

I wondered if anyone may be able to help me with this family as I'm extremely stuck.

I am tracing James Shannon and have him living with his parents (Dan & Ann Shannon) in the 1881 Census with a brother John (Bishop Auckland)

I have followed James through his son William and his marriage and eventually came across this Census which finally has the names of his parents but I cannot prove anything further.

The Census claims that both John and James were born in Bishop Auckland in 1874 (John) and 1871 (James) and both of their 1939 records confirm this but yet I cannot find any registered births for those names in that area, only for their children.

I then tried looking further for more on Dan Shannon but he has a birth location of Sydney Australia and despite my attempts its almost as though this 1881 Census is the only recorded proof of Dan existing.

I then tried Ann and found a death in 1878 Lancashire which confirms her birth year but without finding a marriage to Dan Shannon & not finding the boys births I cannot confirm a Surname for her through the GRO website.

Where am I going wrong here?
    Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Have you looked for baptisms in the 1870's? Sometimes the irish didn't register the births. Are you sure they were born in bishop auckland, not ireland or new south wales? Does the 1881 census say daniel shannon was born in sydney? If so, you can check the nsw bmd website for births and marriages for him, and i would check the son's births too. Sometimes people believed they were born somewhere and weren't. Sometimes it's the earliest place they remember living or they heard stories of the family being there and assume.

Comment

1881 has Dan Shannon born 1822 Sydney Port Jackson and I tried searching their website yesterday with no luck sadly.

I have to admit that with the Shannon Surname I was expecting to end up in Ireland the further I traced.

Comment

Do you have James's marriage certificate to confirm his father's name?

Where is James after 1881? The only one I can find has a son named Lawrence, not William.

Comment

There are army attestations for John Shannon, no mention of a father but in 1897 his mother is named as Ann Shannon living at 4 North Bondgate, Bishop Auckland

This address in unoccupied in the 1891 census, and not numbered in 1901, but no sign of Ann Shannon.

Comment

Ooh, there is also an 1889 attestation for James Shannon born c1871 NEWCASTLE but giving his home address as 46 North Bondgate, Bishop Auckland.

Not quite the right number, but in 1891 at 42 & 43 North Bondgate is Mary Ann Shannon aged 59, Widow, Licenced Pawnbroker, born Manchester. She has a niece of the same name with her. In 1861 & 1871 her husband appears to be George Shannon, 30, born Easkey, Sligo. There is a death for George Shannon aged 41 in Auckland RD in Q1, 1872
            Last edited by teasie; 12-12-19, 02:42.

Comment

In 1861 there is a Daniel Kinsella, brother-in-law, born Manchester staying with George & Mary Ann.

Checking Durham Registrars, there is a marriage in 1857 between George Shannon and Mary Ann Kenyon. Her name is also given as Mary Ann Kinsella, so I assume she was a widow.

Still no sign of the boy's births though. And if George died in 1872......

Comment

This has me intrigued, so how about this man in 1891:
                Union Workhouse, Bishop Auckland
                Daniel Bastin, 71, Sailmaker, born Sydney, Australia

Comment

There are 6 trees on ancestry with daniel shannon in them. They say b.1821 porto portugal, (private trees) or sydney, australia (public trees). There is one tree who says anne's maiden name is nolan. But all the trees only have the 1881 census. No marriage ot any other details.

Son james is said to have married catherine shoulder and had a son lawrence b.1891.

I'm intrigued to know if the daniel born in portugal is the same one in the census born sydney? Why is ancestry conflating the two? Perhaps worth messaging those private trees to see if it's the same guy?

Also are you descended from lawrence shannon b.1891? Might be worth back tracking from the last proven fact, to make sure it's all correct?

Comment

Hey guys, thank you for the replies and apologies for not getting back in touch until now.
                    It really is a mystery that I am having trouble with and would it brake the rules if I said I wasn't directly related to this family?
                    I've followed it through from William Shannon, I cannot list his daughter as she is alive and I have found that the 1939 Register actually has James, Lawrence and the husband & parents of the cannot be named daughter all living on the same street. It truly is a strange one.

Comment

Think I've solved it.
                      Margaret Hannah WAS married to James Shannon but not this specific James and he did have a brother named John and one named Joseph. All 3 boys were born on Christmas Day 1871, South Shields.

Sounds more plausible doesn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by lennon2011 View Post
                        It really is a mystery that I am having trouble with and would it brake the rules if I said I wasn't directly related to this family?
                        Don't worry about that! We all go off at a tangent at some point, just remember not to name living people.

Comment

Working...
                        X