Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Army deserter records

Hi all.

Ancestry has a hint but it's on fold3 which I don't have. Is there anywhere else I might find this info? Had a look on FMP but couldn't see this record?

Thanks

whats the name

Comment

Hi Val!

Leo (Leonard) Sturgess b. 1881, Kilburn, Middlesex - attestation papers on FMP for 1898 and the Ancestry hint says deserter 1900. He then rejoins for WW1 with a different number and is posted before being discharged for being medically unfit.

Thanks

Comment

Sorry only found the army records you have, I do know my grandfather, deserted but have never found any for him either.

Comment

If you are serious about wanting to find out about your ancestor it may be a case of visiting TNA looking at muster records or paying for a researcher to search for you. There is a lady advertising in the business service on this site who found a wealth of information about my G.Grandfather. It sounds like your ancestor may have followed a similar course, in that mine went AWOL (a number of times) was imprisoned for so doing and was then transferred to a different regiment, which the researcher said was unusual. The only thing that may make your research harder is the WW1 aspect and the number of troops whilst mine was in the 1870's.
          Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

Thanks Val / Bubblebelle.

I'll look into fold 3 for the costs and see if it's worth paying for

Comment

Here it is: http://www.lastchancetoread.com/docs...t=1&hits=1b4c+

If the link doesn't hold then you want the website 'last chance to read' and then just filter by surname & month/year

Comment

Originally posted by tessie31082 View Post
                Thanks Val / Bubblebelle.

I'll look into fold 3 for the costs and see if it's worth paying for
                If that link doesn't work, then a Family History Centre may have access for no-cost to you. Double check before you go, tho.

Comment

Working...
                X