Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A passage from India?

Hi all,

Recently I have been trying to track down some of my family who lived in India during the early 20th Century. I have found a wealth of Information but something still eludes me. My great-great grandmother Nancy Clarke nee Woollcombe (1894-1977) it appears travelled from Bombay to England with her two children Patricia MacLeod Clarke (born 1916) and John Seymour MacLeod Clarke (born 1918) to have her third child. What I can't find on ancestry is any evidence of their travel in 1920 back to England. Her third child was born in September to that leaves pretty much the whole of 1920 for the three to travel back from India to England.

Is there anyone who can help find this particular journey? I have already asked some people who said it was more popular to travel from India to France and then by Steamer to England but I have no clue where to begin looking for these journeys. Any help would be mightily appreciated.

Thanks to all

I had a look but I am sure that you have covered all the places that I would look. Like you say it seems as though if indirect passage is not recorded.

i did have a look through the newspapers, have you seen that there are some articles in there that maybe of interest?

It says that they returned in April 1919, but it does say that there were only 2 children.

Nancy3 Western Times 15 January 1921.JPG

There are other announcements of the Woollcombes in the papers - but thought this one was quite useful as many family members are named:

nancy1.JPG

nancy 2 Western Morning News 27 March 1931.JPG
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Here is another, showing she is in London:
      Nancy - Aberdeen Press and Journal 06 April 1921.JPG
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Thank you very much for this. The two children are my great-grandmother and great-great uncle. I shall consult various timings and work out how it all fits in but thank you again for such a valuable piece of information.

Comment

Can anyone find anything on this Wilfred Irwen chap? I have tried to track him down through various things and am at a loss.

Comment

Not sure where to start, they were presumably in Sidmouth, Devon and he may have been born in 1890 ish, not found anyone in the area, there is one in North Devon.

Not sure where else to look, with complete lack of information. I suppose he maybe the father of the 3rd child?
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Comment

A possibility might be Wilfred Adams Irwin born 1888, Wandsworth. Baptised the following year at Balham. The 1911 census has him aged 22 and a bank clerk
              Last edited by teasie; 13-12-19, 04:02.

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                Here is another, showing she is in London:
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]20363[/ATTACH]
                Any way to find out what was the result of the trial?

Comment

I have no idea why I wrote London - as this is clearly in Eastbourne

Here is another report

Lancashire Evening Post 09 April 1921 Nancy Clarke.JPG
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Comment

oh dear - it says she is in London first sentence

There are a couple of articles later on, I am not sure what you already know.

Worthing Gazette 01 June 1938 Nancy Sach.JPG

Hampshire Telegraph 12 April 1935 Nancy Sach.JPG
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Comment

Working...
                    X