Help finding Creole ancestor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help finding Creole ancestor

Hello, everyone! New to this site but I've been trying to search for a long time for an ancestor which led me here.The ancestor in question I'm looking for information on is a man named Domingo (AKA Domingue/Dominique) Flores, my great-great-great grandfather. He was born around 1843/45 in Louisiana (lived in Natchitoches and Rapides Parishes) to a man named Mary Hill Flores. Domingo had children by a woman named Marie Lise Brossett which are as follows: Bartol/Bartolia (b.1875/77), Rosaline/Rosalina (b.1876) (my great-great grandmother), and Levignia/Louvenia/Olivena (b.1879). Later on, in 1899, he married a woman named Sylvia/Olivia Harrison (b.1850) which he had several children by as well: Sylvian (b.1891/93), Meleet (b.1896), Gregory (b.1898), and Julian (b.1901). I've heard he had another son also (J.H. Harmon?? (b.1890) but not sure with whom... Some of his children later changed their surname to Floyes, although the children with Lise Brossett went by her name since they were born out-of-wedlock.He was also listed in the 1870 census living with a woman named F Baselisque Flor (Flores) (b.1845). It's possible she was a cousin to him but I can't seem to find more info on her.And lastly, I have more information on his father - Mary was born around 1805-1815 (differing info on 1860-1870 censuses, although I lean towards the latter as being correct). He was born in either Louisiana or Mexico. I believe him to be another son of Pedro Chrysola Flores and Marie Magdalene Lafitte but not really certain on that. I have no information whatsoever on the mother though because in censuses I've found of Domingo (1860, 1870 & 1880) he's usually listed as living with his father and a woman named Carmelita (b.1833 or so). Not really clear how she is related, I think she must've been Domingo's step-mother though.I would love to know just who Domingo's mother was - based on DNA matches, she was possibly related to Metoyers, Rachals, LeComtes, Grappes, and other Creole families around the Natchitoches area. I know for certain that I have some African DNA that came from her specifically (Senegambian/Guinean & Nigerian) but that's all I know really.Also, I've noted that sometimes Domingo's children identified as black on different censuses. As well as that his daughter, Bartol, did marry an African-American man which wasn't that standard for that day and age unless she herself was part African as well.I'd be grateful for any help at all regarding Domingo and his parents though. It would mean so much to me!

welcome to the boards
    Sorry cant help, but am sure someone on this site will be able to help
    Good luck
    Jan x

Comment

Hello and welcome StarQueen

Wondered if you had found Gregory 1920 after looking at his WW1 card and the transcription!

Name: Gregory Flores
      Race: White
      Birth Date: 17 Nov 1898
      Street address: Magerta Planlation R.R.A. Box 23
      Residence Place: Ouachita, Louisiana, USA
      Relative: Australia Rachalle

Gregor Flaws 21
      Flave Flaws 18 sister
      Australia Rochin 20
      Virginia Rochin 4
      Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
      http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine View Post
        Hello and welcome StarQueen

Wondered if you had found Gregory 1920 after looking at his WW1 card and the transcription!

Name: Gregory Flores
        Race: White
        Birth Date: 17 Nov 1898
        Street address: Magerta Planlation R.R.A. Box 23
        Residence Place: Ouachita, Louisiana, USA
        Relative: Australia Rachalle

Gregor Flaws 21
        Flave Flaws 18 sister
        Australia Rochin 20
        Virginia Rochin 4
        Thank you, Elaine! Oh wow, no I hadn't seen that! My grandfather who had known Gregory told me once before that after some court dispute, he had left to Mobile, Alabama but from the dates of that census, it looks like he eventually moved back to Louisiana :O I had no clue that'd even happened! Wow, thanks so much for finding that!

I do have an update though, I've still been looking around and apparently, the woman I thought was Domingo's step-mom - her name was misspelled. It wasn't Carmelita, it was Carmelite. And from what I've seen (her birth year being 1832 from what I looked back at), I believe she may have been Domingo's biological mother this whole time and I didn't know it. At first, I hadn't though so because she sounded so young to have been his mother but from what I looked back at my research on, I think Domingo's son, Meleet was named after her. Since "Melite" is a nickname for Carmelite.

Still no other information on her, though, I'm afraid, other than that. But it may be a starting point...

Comment

Also, that Australia Rachal that you'd found, Elaine, did you see a mention anywhere of how she was related to Gregory? I feel like she was probably a cousin. I did some digging and apparently, one of Gregory's brothers was actually buried at a Rachal cemetery.

Comment

I didn't, just saw the comment on his WW1 record and wondered abut Virginia!
            Elaine

Comment

I didn't, just saw the comment on his WW1 record and wondered abut Virginia!
              Ah, okay! Well, as to that, seems to me as if Virginia must be Australia's child but with whom I'm not sure. I think I'd read somewhere she married a Horton, I believe so that's likely not his daughter but not sure...

Comment

Is this the sister with Gregory 1920?

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

With the Cleveland family in Rapides
                Flecia Flores Orphan 9 Louisiana
                Elaine

Comment

I'm sure you have this, Theresa Florist born 1 Sep 1901

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

but I can only find the same 3 census returns as you mentioned
                  Elaine

Comment

I'm sure you have this, Theresa Florist born 1 Sep 1901

but I can only find the same 3 census returns as you mentioned
                    It looks to be, yes! I wasn't aware though - prior to you finding this census - that even had a sister. I knew of half-sisters but not this one :O

And as for the Theresa Florist one, I had not seen that at all either! :O! Did not know they'd had a child that moved all the way to Wisconsin. Wow! That may give me more of a starting point though being that she was born in Lena. I had heard that Domingo died in Lena, actually but since he died in 1908 according to my research, I couldn't find a death record for him. I think I read that death records didn't start to be recorded until 1914 in that area.

Comment

Ah, I did find something on Australia! Her parents were August Cyrile Rachal (b.1834) and Camila LaCaze. The connection must be through August. His parents were Jean Baptiste Espallier Rachal and Marie Susanne Metoyer. I've poked around but cant' seem to find a full listing of their children. If I can just find if they had a daughter named Carmelite, I might could solve this...

Comment

Does anyone know a website that offers searches of Louisiana marriage licenses'? I found this through familysearch: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QG1Y-TM19

Unfortunately, it's only the typed-up version and lists no parents for Domingo - not on this version anyhow. If I could see a full, complete version then maybe I could figure it out a bit better!

Comment

In case you've not found it, maybe there is something helpful on the Louisiana page from our Reference Library?

Caroline
                          Caroline's Family History Pages
                          Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post
                            In case you've not found it, maybe there is something helpful on the Louisiana page from our Reference Library?

https://www.familytreeforum.com/content.php/575
                            Ah, thank you so much! I don't think I had seen this yet actually. But I'll check it out and see if I can find something! Thank you again!

Comment

Working...
                            X