Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moses Barnett Hoey

Moses Barnett Hoey

I have been searching fruitlessly for years now for further info on my 2g uncle - Moses Barnett Hoey, born 4 Mar 1855 Strabane, Co Tyrone and baptised there 29 April 1855. Parents were William Hoey (a Wesleyan Methodist minister) and Jane Barnett. The last ref I have for him is as a pupil at Belfast Model School in 1865 or 1866. But after that I can't find anything anywhere that seems to fit - marriage, death or possible emigration.
    One elder brother was in Glasgow from the early 1870s before returning to Belfast sometime in the 1890s and three other brothers were also there for a while before all returning to Ireland. Two of these brothers emigrated to Canada in 1907 and 1921 respectively, as did two sisters in 1905 and 1907.
    For anyone willing to have a look, he is not the Moses Hoey from Carrickmacross, Co Monaghan nor the Moses Hoey who dies in Armagh in 1881.
    Thanks,
    Christine
    Researching:
    HOEY
    (Co Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Co Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Co Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Co Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Co Tyrone and Strangford, Co Down)

That was funny I just googled his name and was sent here shall try again

probably completely wrong but

M B Hoey
    Record Type: Burial
    Death Date: abt 1901
    Burial Date: 18 Mar 1901
    Burial Place: Waltham Forest, Greater London, England
    Cemetery: Chingford Mount Cemetery
    Cemetery Section: G10
    Grave Number: 55376

Quote Originally Posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
    probably completely wrong but

M B Hoey
    Record Type: Burial
    Death Date: abt 1901
    Burial Date: 18 Mar 1901
    Burial Place: Waltham Forest, Greater London, England
    Cemetery: Chingford Mount Cemetery
    Cemetery Section: G10
    Grave Number: 55376
    Thanks for looking Val, but that death is for
    Name: Age at Death (in years):
    HOEY, MARY BROCK 41
    GRO Reference: 1901 M Quarter in ISLINGTON Volume 01B Page 264

I've managed to track all his 9 siblings through marriage, emigration, censuses, death but he refuses to be found!

Christine
    Researching:
    HOEY
    (Co Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Co Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Co Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Co Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Co Tyrone and Strangford, Co Down)

I did look on FMP Ancestry and Familysearch, will have another look later.

Blog Entries
    Have had a look through the world newspapers on FMP. Apart from the National School mention in 1866, I cannot find anything Ireland. Thought I'd found a possible in Boston, a chauffeur in 1908, but I think this is likely to be Moses P Hoey who is identified as being US born in Massachusetts. The only other mentions are of a Moses Hoey in Gloucestershire, a small part player in a JM Barrie play but in the 1930's, so I think unlikely due to age. In the same decade in Gloucestershire is a mention relating to a flower or garden club.
    This is where I am at the moment. I will have to leave it for today. Sorry
    Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

I keep thinking how Jewish the name sounds and maybe he changed it? Doesn't help you find him though, sorry!

OC

I was thinking along the same lines, OC...very Jewish sounding.
    Jacky

There is a Moses Hay in the US born in Ireland, have you looked into him? seems to be a farmer
    Carolyn

Researching:Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon
    Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Plant, Skinner - Lincs ....all moved to London
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Quote Originally Posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
    I keep thinking how Jewish the name sounds and maybe he changed it? Doesn't help you find him though, sorry!

OC
    I have come across a couple of Barnett names in Clogher - a few Aarons and Moseses - which have made me wonder about possible Jewish ancestry. I haven't established any connection to any Aarons but I'm guessing all the Clogher Barnetts are related somehow or other...
    Moses Barnett Hoey was named after his maternal grandfather, Moses Barnett of Strangford who was born in Ballagh, Co Tyrone. His father too was Moses Barnett but sibling names which repeat over generations include Thomas, Robert, William, John, Oliver.
    I've also came across a 1693 will reference to a Zacharias Barnett als Barney als Barny, gentleman of ArtMcKerny (sic) Co Tyrone, but haven't been able to locate this place to see if it is in the Clogher area. Perhaps Elwyn could give a pointer?

Christine
    Last edited by Karamazov; 03-12-19 at 22:53.
    Researching:
    HOEY