Moses Barnett Hoey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moses Barnett Hoey

I have been searching fruitlessly for years now for further info on my 2g uncle - Moses Barnett Hoey, born 4 Mar 1855 Strabane, Co Tyrone and baptised there 29 April 1855. Parents were William Hoey (a Wesleyan Methodist minister) and Jane Barnett. The last ref I have for him is as a pupil at Belfast Model School in 1865 or 1866. But after that I can't find anything anywhere that seems to fit - marriage, death or possible emigration.
    One elder brother was in Glasgow from the early 1870s before returning to Belfast sometime in the 1890s and three other brothers were also there for a while before all returning to Ireland. Two of these brothers emigrated to Canada in 1907 and 1921 respectively, as did two sisters in 1905 and 1907.
    For anyone willing to have a look, he is not the Moses Hoey from Carrickmacross, Co Monaghan nor the Moses Hoey who dies in Armagh in 1881.
    Thanks,
    Christine
    Researching:
    HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

That was funny I just googled his name and was sent here shall try again

Comment

probably completely wrong but

M B Hoey
      Record Type: Burial
      Death Date: abt 1901
      Burial Date: 18 Mar 1901
      Burial Place: Waltham Forest, Greater London, England
      Cemetery: Chingford Mount Cemetery
      Cemetery Section: G10
      Grave Number: 55376

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
        probably completely wrong but

M B Hoey
        Record Type: Burial
        Death Date: abt 1901
        Burial Date: 18 Mar 1901
        Burial Place: Waltham Forest, Greater London, England
        Cemetery: Chingford Mount Cemetery
        Cemetery Section: G10
        Grave Number: 55376
        Thanks for looking Val, but that death is for
        Name: Age at Death (in years):
        HOEY, MARY BROCK 41
        GRO Reference: 1901 M Quarter in ISLINGTON Volume 01B Page 264

I've managed to track all his 9 siblings through marriage, emigration, censuses, death but he refuses to be found!

Christine
        Researching:
        HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

I did look on FMP Ancestry and Familysearch, will have another look later.

Comment

Have had a look through the world newspapers on FMP. Apart from the National School mention in 1866, I cannot find anything Ireland. Thought I'd found a possible in Boston, a chauffeur in 1908, but I think this is likely to be Moses P Hoey who is identified as being US born in Massachusetts. The only other mentions are of a Moses Hoey in Gloucestershire, a small part player in a JM Barrie play but in the 1930's, so I think unlikely due to age. In the same decade in Gloucestershire is a mention relating to a flower or garden club.
            This is where I am at the moment. I will have to leave it for today. Sorry
            Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

I keep thinking how Jewish the name sounds and maybe he changed it? Doesn't help you find him though, sorry!

OC

Comment

I was thinking along the same lines, OC...very Jewish sounding.
                Jacky

Comment

There is a Moses Hay in the US born in Ireland, have you looked into him? seems to be a farmer
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                  Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                    I keep thinking how Jewish the name sounds and maybe he changed it? Doesn't help you find him though, sorry!

OC
                    I have come across a couple of Barnett names in Clogher - a few Aarons and Moseses - which have made me wonder about possible Jewish ancestry. I haven't established any connection to any Aarons but I'm guessing all the Clogher Barnetts are related somehow or other...
                    Moses Barnett Hoey was named after his maternal grandfather, Moses Barnett of Strangford who was born in Ballagh, Co Tyrone. His father too was Moses Barnett but sibling names which repeat over generations include Thomas, Robert, William, John, Oliver.
                    I've also came across a 1693 will reference to a Zacharias Barnett als Barney als Barny, gentleman of ArtMcKerny (sic) Co Tyrone, but haven't been able to locate this place to see if it is in the Clogher area. Perhaps Elwyn could give a pointer?

Christine
                    Last edited by Karamazov; 03-12-19, 21:53.
                    Researching:

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                      There is a Moses Hay in the US born in Ireland, have you looked into him? seems to be a farmer
                      No I don't think so. I don't have an ancestry sub but do have FMP currently so could you give me some pointers as to where in the US you found him so I can investigate?
                      Thanks
                      Christine
                      Last edited by Karamazov; 03-12-19, 21:57.
                      Researching:

Comment

Moses Hay travelled out to the US via Canada in 1873, with his parents William and Eliza Hay. William was a farmer, so unfortunately not your Moses.
                        Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
                          Moses Hay travelled out to the US via Canada in 1873, with his parents William and Eliza Hay. William was a farmer, so unfortunately not your Moses.
                          Thanks Linda,
                          I didn't think it would be him - surname too far removed from Hoey to be likely, given that he would have been literate - but you can see I'm willing to grasp at any straw in order to marry or kill him off!
                          Did you get the two emails I sent you on Saturday?
                          Christine
                          Researching:

Comment

Yes thanks I did, been meaning to answer but things keep cropping up (had a very restless dog here today, hoping it's not coming down with something!) Hopefully have some time tomorrow, if it gives me a couple of minutes.
                            Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Do you have death certificates for William & Jane? Who were the informants? There is a tree on Ancestry that says William died 1873, when Moses will have been about 18. EDIT: No information about Jane other than a death in 1892.
                              Last edited by teasie; 04-12-19, 02:10.

Comment

Originally posted by teasie View Post
                                Do you have death certificates for William & Jane? Who were the informants? There is a tree on Ancestry that says William died 1873, when Moses will have been about 18. EDIT: No information about Jane other than a death in 1892.
                                Yes, those dates are correct - I have death certs for both. The informant for William was his daughter Margaret Hoey Hill, whilst the informant for Jane was a son, Thomas Guard Hoey. I also have marriage certs for all the children but Moses is never a witness. Sigh!

Christine
                                Researching:

Comment

Oh well, it was a thought! Have you tried finding out what records PRONI has for the Belfast Model School? It appears in their catalogue but without any indication of exactly what they hold: https://apps.proni.gov.uk/eCatNI_IE/ResultDetails.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by teasie View Post
                                    Oh well, it was a thought! Have you tried finding out what records PRONI has for the Belfast Model School? It appears in their catalogue but without any indication of exactly what they hold: https://apps.proni.gov.uk/eCatNI_IE/ResultDetails.aspx
                                    Thanks for the suggestion - hadn't thought of doing that but have found an item in the catalogue for Belfast Model School covering the years 1860-1870 - no indication of what it covers - but will add it to my list for next time I'm in Belfast. I love PRONI but always run out of time...
                                    Christine
                                    Researching:

Comment

wonder if the parents left a will ? he may be mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                                        wonder if the parents left a will ? he may be mentioned.
                                        No, unfortunately they didn't.

Christine
                                        Researching:

Comment

Working...
                                        X