Help finding Ann

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help finding Ann

I have been trying to find out more about my 5x Great Grandfather George Jackson. The only positive proof I have of him is at his daughter's marriage to Thomas Hiles in 1818 in Stroud in Gloucestershire, where he is a witness. According to some ancestry trees, in 1841 he is living in Painswick, a 64 year old Inn Keeper, with Ann Jackson, aged 50 and Frances Jackson aged 19

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...=successSource

By 1851 he is living in Lower Swell, as a Toll Gate Keeper, still with Ann. From the censuses, this gives George a dob of 1777.

George dies in 1853 in Lower Swell, and in 1861 Ann is a widow living with her married daughter, Lavinia Nash.

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...&rhSource=8860

Also trying to trace the Frances Jackson on the 1841 but not finding anything that matches.

The ages on the censuses and George's death are reasonably consistent, so look to be the same couple. Ann (b. ca 1787) is too young to be the mother of Mary, who was born in 1798, and according to the tree George had married Ann Morse, nee Morgan in 1820. ( I actually found the marriage had taken place on 16 Aug 1826) Ann had previously been married to Thomas Morse, who died in 1820. Thomas and Ann had 2 daughters, Lavinia b. 1810 and Harriett b. 1829 (?). (I found the marriage of Lavinia to Charles Nash in 1831 - her father is listed as Thomas).

What I would like to find is more details about Ann, Thomas and Lavinia. According to the census Ann was born in Dawlish Devon; the tree has Thomas born in Gloucestershire, but I can't find any trace of a marriage or a death for him. The only Lavinia Morse I can find has parents William and Ann. Lavinia gave her eldest daughter the middle name of Morgan - possibly her mother's maiden name, but no proof .

On the 1841 census George is not born in county. His daughter Mary, on all censuses says she is born in York, so I always assumed George was from there too. On the 1851, George is listed as born in Abberfield, Gloucester, but I can't find any place called this. However there is an Aberford in Yorkshire - could this be the place?

The other interesting fact is that if they are the correct Ann and George, two of Ann's granddaughters married one of George's grandsons (one after the other that is!).

Here is a link to the online tree https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tr...59911546/facts

Sorry about the length of the post! Thanks.
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

There is a John Morse winess on Lavinia's marriage, just found this baptism 1812

Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
    http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Thanks Elaine, must have missed that, so busy looking for Thomas

Try to find him in censuses now, see if that helps.
      Last edited by ozgirl; 28-11-19, 22:01.
      Linda

Comment

Don't know if this is anything,

Thomas Morss Or Morse
        Marriage Date: 12 Aug 1805
        Marriage Place: St Philip and St Jacob, Bristol, Gloucester, England
        Spouse: Mary Morgan
        Elaine

Comment

I see that there is Lavinia Morse as a lodger from Stroud on the 1871 census, maybe another relative, but too complicated to say relation to head?
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
          Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

I am rubbish at reading writing, but not liking that first letter as an A when compared to the A in Ann.

place.JPG
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
              I see that there is Lavinia Morse as a lodger from Stroud on the 1871 census, maybe another relative, but too complicated to say relation to head?
              Ooh - John Morse had a daughter Lavinia b.1849 in Stroud. It must be her, as in later censuses she is a seamstress. So she would have been Lavinia Nash's niece.

Thanks Carolyn.

Elaine, that marriage you found is interesting but not 100% sure it is the same Thomas.
              Linda

Comment

Me neither with regards to the marriage. There's a Thomas Morse and Mary Ann having children, he is a mariner at the right time, in case it helps.
                Elaine

Comment

there is this article, just proves he was a toll gate keeper :
                  Cheltenham Journal and Gloucestershire Fashionable Weekly Gazette. 11 February 1850.JPG
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Comment

Thank you for the article Carolyn, hadn't come across that although searched BNA!
                    Linda

Comment

there are actually a few more, all the same kind of thing, so doesn't have any info about him really. Looks like he lived in the tollgate house, did look at map last night to see if it was still there and exactly where it would be, but failed. Local knowledge probably required!

studied image at post 6 some more and just cannot make it out, when the rest of the page is quite readable.
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post

studied image at post 6 some more and just cannot make it out, when the rest of the page is quite readable.

The frustrating thing about not being sure is that I have found a baptism for a George Jackson in 1777 in Aberford!

Linda

Comment

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
                          The frustrating thing about not being sure is that I have found a baptism for a George Jackson in 1777 in Aberford!

can you find any other records if you assume that to be correct?

Looking at Gloucs baptisms and couple of Georges as father one with mother Martha, but they don't really seem to fit. Wondering how the 'toll gate' keeper job comes about, thinking it is a bit skilled and maybe placed in a job by the owner of the canal/river/toll? I also assume the inn keeper could be combined to toll gate keeper, plenty of pubs on canals.

Frances seems to have disappeared - she could be a grandchild?
                          Carolyn
                          Family Tree site

Comment

Trying to find out more on the Aberford Jacksons. The father was Edward, a miller, he married Mary Cockerill in 1761 and had a number of children. Edward's father was another Edward (I think). How likely would it be for a miller's son to go into mustard manufacturing (George's profession when Mary married) I wonder.
                            Linda

Comment

I would think reasonably likely - they mill mustard.
                              Carolyn
                              Family Tree site

Comment

Will have to do a tree tracing the Jacksons of Aberford down, and see if there is any connection to DNA links. Long shot but fingers crossed!
                                Linda

Comment

The only Lavinia Morse I can find has parents William and Ann. Lavinia gave her eldest daughter the middle name of Morgan - possibly her mother's maiden name, but no proof .
                                  there is a marriage for Ann Perrin to William Morse
                                  Name: Anne Perrin
                                  Event Type: Marriage
                                  Marriage Date: 27 Dec 1801
                                  Marriage Place: Stonehouse, Gloucestershire, England
                                  Parish as it Appears: Churches and Chapels
                                  Search Photos: Search for 'Stonehouse' in the UK City, Town and Village Photos collection
                                  Phillimore Ecclesiastical Parish Map:
                                  View this parish
                                  Spouse: William Morse

maybe his brother...and Lavinia a bit of a family name
                                  https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/5156/41511_633870_4233-00058
                                  Carolyn
                                  Family Tree site

Comment

You may be right with William, certainly the right area and time frame. Thanks for looking.
                                    Linda

Comment

Wondering if William was related and whether that would give clues. I think he married Ann Perrin and then Elizabeth Hewling, he had a daughter by second marriage Eliza (first one died) and she went to Australia, just think when there are 'family' already making journey others could follow if you are getting dead ends
                                      https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/1204/IMAUS1787_081239-0435?pid=42977

going off tangent now, but sometimes it brings a link.
                                      Carolyn
                                      Family Tree site

Comment

I have been trying to find out more about my 5x Great Grandfather George Jackson. The only positive proof I have of him is at his daughter's marriage to Thomas Hiles in 1818 in Stroud in Gloucestershire, where he is a witness.
                                        Do you have Mary's baptism?
                                        Carolyn
                                        Family Tree site

Comment

Working...
                                        X