No announcement yet.

Help finding Ann

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see from the tree Mary's baptism is shown as being in Kirkburton. In the census she gives her PoB as York (the city), so I don't think this is right.

There is a marriage in York on 14 May 1798 between George Jackson 22 of York and Elizabeth Gawthorpe 22 of Sutton on the Forest. The marriage was by licence (available from the Borthwick Institute, York), but I can only see one daughter to them, Ann born 15 Oct 1798 & baptised 24 Oct 1798.

Comment

Just realised that on the tree there are records for Mary. I don't like the 1841 census it doesn't seem to fit, with place, no children and wrong occupation. Can't find a suitable alternative at the moment.

I wonder if there are more children of George, I see the tree has Jane as wife, and if correct feel there would be a 'Jane' in the children.
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Unfortunately I do not have Mary's baptism and can't find any likely baptisms. Have also looked at that one in Kirkburton, but need to look further into it. There's a lot of George Jacksons born between 1775/1779 in Yorkshire (97 according to FMP) possibly too many to try and whittle down. Thanks for trying.
        Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
          Just realised that on the tree there are records for Mary. I don't like the 1841 census it doesn't seem to fit, with place, no children and wrong occupation. Can't find a suitable alternative at the moment.

I wonder if there are more children of George, I see the tree has Jane as wife, and if correct feel there would be a 'Jane' in the children.
          It is the wrong one. They are listed as Iles on the 1841, and are in Stroud. Took me some time to find that originally!

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...SAAEgKBn_D_BwE
          Linda

Comment

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
            Unfortunately I do not have Mary's baptism and can't find any likely baptisms. Have also looked at that one in Kirkburton, but need to look further into it. There's a lot of George Jacksons born between 1775/1779 in Yorkshire (97 according to FMP) possibly too many to try and whittle down. Thanks for trying.
            97 far too many. Now that I have seen 1841 census it is interesting that Mary called a child Frances as well as George, might be a family name on his part.
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

I thought that about Frances too - might help if I could find any other trace of her, but this census is the sole sighting!
              Linda

Comment

Picked these up from the paper

24 November 1862 - Cirencester Times and Cotswold Advertiser
                November 17, at Cirencester, Mr Thomas Hiles, dyer, aged 62 years

14 September 1872 - Wilts and Gloucestershire Standard
                Cirencester, Mary, widow of the late Mr Thomas Hiles of Cirencester, dyer. Sept. 6, at Brizenorton
                Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

The 1841 census has George as an Inn Keeper at Gloster Street, Painswick, and there is a newspaper article in 1841 mentioning what also appears to be him as a renter of tolls - see attached.

The surrounding streets are Butt Green and New Street, and in 1851 the Inn Keeper at Painswick with the same immediately surrounding streets is James Savory, aged 70. By 1861 I think the same property is occupied by turnpike keeper Elizabeth Green, 57, and her son William Henry, 14.

This map shows the cross-roads of New Street and Gloster Street, just by the police station: https://maps.nls.uk/view/101453742#z...6362&layers=BT

Trying to trace George a little further back - where did the Mustard Manufacturer come from?

In Pigots 1830 directory there is a George Jackson, Retail Brewer at Bow bridge (sic), Stroud. Could this be him?

Jackson Cheltenham Examiner 19 May 1841.JPG

Comment

Originally posted by teasie View Post
                    The 1841 census has George as an Inn Keeper at Gloster Street, Painswick, and there is a newspaper article in 1841 mentioning what also appears to be him as a renter of tolls - see attached.

The surrounding streets are Butt Green and New Street, and in 1851 the Inn Keeper at Painswick with the same immediately surrounding streets is James Savory, aged 70. By 1861 I think the same property is occupied by turnpike keeper Elizabeth Green, 57, and her son William Henry, 14.

This map shows the cross-roads of New Street and Gloster Street, just by the police station: https://maps.nls.uk/view/101453742#z...6362&layers=BT

Trying to trace George a little further back - where did the Mustard Manufacturer come from?

In Pigots 1830 directory there is a George Jackson, Retail Brewer at Bow bridge (sic), Stroud. Could this be him?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20357[/ATTACH]
                    that brings together a few things then, I found a number of articles see post 9 and 11, was hoping that the job was of a sufficient profile that there would be more 'out there'. He must be working for Painswick and Gloucester district of roads?

in 1841 he is in Gloucester Street, Painswick, in the light of the article looks as though he was collecting tolls and inn keeping, maybe the move to "Lower Swell Pike" by 1851 meant he was just a toll keeper and not an innkeeper, due to his age - his retirement job!.

just found this website about the Painswick roads, http://www.painswickusers.org.uk/plh.../histroads.htm

Stroud and Painswick are close to each other (and Cirencester not too far), but Lower Swell is 30 miles away.

I had seen the retail brewer too and couldn't decide.
                    Last edited by cbcarolyn; 01-12-19, 09:18.
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Comment

EDIT...just found an article in the paper putting the tolls up to let, the highest bidder gets them and pays an annual rent, although I think that is a batch of tolls, already contracting out the work.

Learning all the time
                      Last edited by cbcarolyn; 01-12-19, 09:33.
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20357[/ATTACH]
                        George was a Mustard Manufacturer on the marriage allegation for Mary and Thomas. It was on FMP but seems to have disappeared now. I think it is on the Forest of Dean website, but am frozen out of there as I forgot my password. I have the details on my FTM tree, but can't copy them over. If anyone wants to try and find them the record ID is 13040, entry 146, 21 Nov 1818.

I think that George and Thomas went into business together after the marriage - in 1823 Thomas and Mary are at Bowbridge and Thomas is a Grocer. I do recall some years ago seeing a document dissolving the partnership online, however my computer which had all these details on died a few years ago and everything on it was lost.
                        Linda

Comment

Managed to get the details for George:

Bride_Fathers_Surname: Jackson
                          Bride_Fathers_Forenames: George
                          Bride_Father's_Rank/Profession: Mustard manufacturer.
                          Linda

Comment

Yayy - found it. From the London Sun 18 November 1826

Partnership dissolved 18 November 1826.png
                            Linda

Comment

I don't, but I'm not sure as it says George is a farmer. It looks like it is only a draft so not sure how to get to look at it.
                              Linda

Comment

Yayy - found it. From the London Sun 18 November 1826

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20359[/ATTACH]
                                On another clipping, almost identical to this one, it refers to George and Thomas as Mustard manufacturers and retail brewers, so confirming that it is my George in the 1830 listing
                                Linda

Comment

It is on this baptism too 1821:
                                  Carolyn
                                  Family Tree site

Comment

I don't, but I'm not sure as it says George is a farmer. It looks like it is only a draft so not sure how to get to look at it.
                                    You would need to order it by clicking 'add to my items', although you would need to register first, and I'm not sure how much the copy would cost. You could email them on archives@gloucestershire.gov.uk

I was thrown by the 'farmer' too, but I don't see any other reference to a George Jackson in Painswick and he seems to have had a few different occupations, so it's certainly possible.

Comment

By 1830 Thomas was a clock and watch maker, I think taking over from his father William who had a shop on the High Street. This is one of William's clocks

https://www.morphets.co.uk/index.php...id=12939&year=
                                      Linda

Comment

You would need to order it by clicking 'add to my items', although you would need to register first, and I'm not sure how much the copy would cost. You could email them on archives@gloucestershire.gov.uk

I was thrown by the 'farmer' too, but I don't see any other reference to a George Jackson in Painswick and he seems to have had a few different occupations, so it's certainly possible.
                                        I had a try but the order is for looking at the document when you visit their archives. To get a copy sent to you you need to employ an independent agent. I think I'll put that on the back burner. Maybe I'll make it to Gloucester one of these days!
                                        Linda

Comment

Working...
                                        X