Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emmigration to Jersey during WW2

Hello,

I have an ancestor that emmigrated to Jersey (she came back at some point as died in Berkshire) in 1941 during the war - why when it was German occupied? There is a registration card for her that I can get for £5 but wondered if anyone had any ideas p.s she was married by this point as well but I can't find a marriage!

Thanks
    Last edited by tessie31082; 18-11-19, 21:54.

Maybe she married in Jersey?

OC

Comment

OC - the registration card is already in her married name unless she married there before and this was another trip -but why would she be going there during the war while it was under German occupancy
      Think I'll buy the card and see if it has any info. on it!
      Thank you

Comment

The Germans were in occupation of Jersey from 30 June 1940 to 9 May 1945 so I am puzzled as to how she could have got to the island in 1941. Maybe she went earlier than 1941?
        Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

That's what I thought but the record that comes up from Ancestry that takes me to the Jersey site says 1941!? I think ill just pay the £5 and see what it says!!

Comment

is there any more info on another site? was it her and her husband?

very odd
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
            Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

What did her husband do and was he from Jersey? If there were relatives there, maybe they went to help in some way. Lots of reasons really.

OC

Comment

OC - I can't see a marriage at the moment for her! I'm hoping the document will provide further details!

Comment

Originally posted by tessie31082 View Post
                  That's what I thought but the record that comes up from Ancestry that takes me to the Jersey site says 1941!? I think ill just pay the £5 and see what it says!!
                  Now I could hardly believe the Ancestry is wrong on the year, or could I?

David

Comment

I assume she is no longer with us? Have you got her details, someone on here might have something up their sleeve and can find something out.
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Originally posted by tessie31082 View Post
                      There is a registration card for her that I can get for £5
                      Thanks
                      They're online, not indexed, on FamilySearch:

Click on the camera to the right of the entry that you think contains the record

Comment

Thanks everyone!
                        Not even sure she's mine haha!
                        So Ada Kathleen North b.1910, village just outside Hungerford, Berkshire.
                        She's here on the 1911 census -

Then Ancestry gave me this hint -

So I spent the £5 lol and got the registration card!
                        The Jersey Heritage Archive & Online Collections section allows you to subscribe to view scanned copies of archives such as the German Occupation Registration Cards and important document transcriptions online.

Still can't find a marriage so not sure if she was living there at the time of the war with her husband or why else she would be there while occupied or have I missed something? Just looking for her on the 1939 register as we speak!

Thanks all as always

Comment

only had a quick look, doesn't it just mean that she was already in Jersey and could have been there for a long time? I assume that everyone had to register.
                          Carolyn
                          Family Tree site

Comment

That's now what I'm thinking! As I can't find a marriage I guess she married outside of England!

Comment

Could have been living there at the time of the occupation, whilst the children were evacuated to UK, very few adults got away. I know my father didn't along with members of his family and was there for the duration

of the occupation.

David

Comment

have you seen this:
                                Name: Thomas Whittington
                                Birth Date: 15 Jun 1903
                                Registration Date: 22 Jan 1941
                                Residence Place: 2, St Clement's Gardens, St Clement, Jersey, Channel Islands
                                Description: Blue Registration form of Thomas Whittington, of 2, St Clement's Gardens, St Clement, born 15/06/1903.

and
                                Name: Thomas Whittington
                                Birth Date: 15 Jun 1903
                                Registration Date: 22 Jan 1941
                                Residence Place: 2, St Clement's Gardens, St Clement, Jersey, Channel Islands
                                Description: Registration card of Thomas Whittington, of 2, St Clement's Gardens, St Clement, born 15/06/1903.
                                Carolyn
                                Family Tree site

Comment

No, thank you Carolyn off to get the link added to my tree

Comment

I guess if you saw his card there might be more of a clue what they are doing on the island, as I guess he will have an occupation.
                                    Carolyn
                                    Family Tree site

Comment

Carolyn - he was a greenhouse worker!?
                                      There are two addresses - one crossed out - they lived there Jan-Apr 1942 then the new address from April 1942.
                                      Would there be a passenger list somewhere for boats to Jersey that maybe I could look up/ask someone to look up?
                                      Thanks

Comment

I guess there were a lot of greenhouse workers there, interesting they must have recruited from the UK. Who knew!
                                        Carolyn
                                        Family Tree site

Comment

Working...
                                        X