No announcement yet.

Emmigration to Jersey during WW2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes but why would people go there while occupied by the German's?? Maybe they had no other choice!

Comment

Tessie, I don't quite know how to say this, but you are assuming that everyone was against the Germans.

OC

Comment

Ah I see!

Comment

Once the Channel Islands were occupied by the Germans, there was absolutely no contact with the islands until 9/5/1945. It follows that nobody could travel there even if they wished to.
          For all intents and purpose the Channel Islands were enemy territory and just like the majority of Europe, also occupied by Germany at the time, contact was lost until recaptured, or relieved, as the Channel Islands were after the German surrender.
          Those people you have identified in Jersey had to have travelled there before the occupation.

merleyone

Comment

Originally posted by tessie31082 View Post
            Yes but why would people go there while occupied by the German's?? Maybe they had no other choice!
            I meant that they were recruiting before the war, and I hadn't realised.
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
            Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

This site says:

19th Century Onwards - Agricultural Workers
              From the 1840s to the middle of the 20th century there was a steady flow of agricultural migrant workers from Brittany and Normandy to Jersey. At one stage it was estimated by the French Consul that there were 8000 French workers in Jersey. 2000 decided to settle in Jersey and many of todays Jersey population is descended from them.

Many of these agricultural labourers worked in the potato industry which began to develop in the early part of the 19th century. Serious blight in 1845 led to a 75% reduction in production but still it became the growth industry of the late 19 century at a time of general economic decline. Jersey found a market niche with the early potatoes that got to the English market before any others and which could command a premium. By 1900 half of all arable land in Jersey was taken by potatoes and exports peaked at 81,000 tonnes in 1907.

All those of non-British birth living in the Island were registered in 1920 and these registration cards include images and details of several thousand French immigrants. To find out more about your French ancestors who moved to Jersey and see if they have a registration card search our online catalogue and enter their name in the simple search box.
              No mention of the growth of greenhouse crops, flowers have certainly been a big part of the history. some history about tomatoes in Guernsey, I am sure that they would have done some toms in Jersey too

Guernsey used to be famous for its tomato exports and for nearly one hundred years the tomato was king. Social historian Peter Brehaut has taken a particular interest in this industry.
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

My grandfather used to grow tomatoes on his property “La Guillmetrie” prior to emigrating to Australia in 1925.
                  On arrival he bought a property and proceeded to grow toms here as his main summer crop. These toms were highly regarded by the locals. He obviously knew a thing about growing them.
                  Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Originally posted by grumpy View Post
                    My grandfather used to grow tomatoes on his property “La Guillmetrie” prior to emigrating to Australia in 1925.
                    On arrival he bought a property and proceeded to grow toms here as his main summer crop. These toms were highly regarded by the locals. He obviously knew a thing about growing them.
                    How interesting, I assume he didn't need greenhouses?
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Comment

I am uncertain, as most people of that age they were rather reticent of their activities, especially to grandchildren.

I certainly know how he grew things in Australia as my sister and myself were helpers in his market garden. Looking back

on those years makes me realise what a happy childhood we had, especially as the depression and its aftermath was in full swing at the time.
                      Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Working...
                      X