Ancestry and Member Connect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry and Member Connect

Does anyone know how to connect with the owner of a family tree on Ancestry ? I've always in the past just clicked on the owners name at the top of the tree to ask questions or share info . This is when I'm researching people who are not on my Ancestry family trees . Has something changed so that you can't connect with the owner of a tree that doesn't share people from your own tree ? The tree I found is of my grandfathers best friend and his family . I was delighted to find it and was hoping to share some of the photos of grandads best friend when they were at school and in the Cheshire regiment in WW1 . Hoping someone can tell me if I'm missing something somewhere !
    Thanks for looking
    Liz
    my avatar is Emily Varndell Andrews,my paternal grandmother born 1891

If you don't find an answer why not add a new 'tree' and then add him, then you can connect in the normal way. You could add the photos if you wanted then as well.
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
      If you don't find an answer why not add a new 'tree' and then add him, then you can connect in the normal way. You could add the photos if you wanted then as well.
      Thanks Carolyn I might have to do that . I'm sure in the past though I was able to connect with trees that didn't match mine . Maybe something has changed since I last looked .

Liz

Comment

Look for the member’s name in the member directory. Then click on the contact button. Check to see if a note comes up that this member is not accepting messages. If that doesn’t appear then you should be able to connect the person whether they have a tree or not.

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
          Look for the member’s name in the member directory. Then click on the contact button. Check to see if a note comes up that this member is not accepting messages. If that doesn’t appear then you should be able to connect the person whether they have a tree or not.
          Thank you for that I'll have a look
          Liz

Well I tried that putting Rob Snape in the members directory search and it just gave me a blank page ! Very strange !

Liz
          Last edited by congletonian; 12-11-19, 18:55.

Comment

Did you put it in exactly as you have written it above? If so, try it with no spaces as ancestry usernames have no spaces.

Comment

I have tried to find it and only one match came up robsnape50 This member has not logged in for more than a year but the messaging part works fine, it opened a messaging box for me. I had to use my phone though with Safari browser as when I tried on my laptop using IE and Windows 10, I can’t even get to the member search box. All I got was a blank page. If you have another browser, try that, it might work.

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                I have tried to find it and only one match came up robsnape50 This member has not logged in for more than a year but the messaging part works fine, it opened a messaging box for me. I had to use my phone though with Safari browser as when I tried on my laptop using IE and Windows 10, I can’t even get to the member search box. All I got was a blank page. If you have another browser, try that, it might work.
                Oh dear
                I've got safari on all my appliances and they all just bring up the blank page . That's strange that you were able to find him on Your safari browser . Very odd

Liz

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                  IT is Val but it's blank on the iPad and my phone ! Weirdly I've tried on the main Mac computer and I've found the Rob Snape trees I was looking for in the members directory . I'll be able to message him now and see if he wants any of my photos of his family .
                  Thanks to everyone for the help . I wonder if I couldn't find him on my iPad as I haven't updated that recently ?

Liz

Comment

could be that I suppose, good luck

Comment

The link works for me, I use chrome, might be worth installing that, I know my son bemoans safari on any of his mac devices. I like to use chrome, so I can have same browser on mac, pc and android phone.

Although on occasions that will also let me down.
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Safari has sometimes given me blank pages since the last update. It usually clears itself if I close all apps by swiping them up and off.
                        Anne

Comment

Many thanks for the help everyone . Looks like I need to keep on top of my updates !

Liz

Comment

Working...
                          X