Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• finding an owner

hello

is there any way I can find out who owned a house in Nottingham in the mid nineteenth century.

I don't know if its still standing because the numbers have changed....there are 2 or 3 houses left. but most of the long road has been buried under a shopping centre.

I know you can get deeds from the land registry, but the.cost is 7 pounds per document.

Great to see you back I can't help with your query though. :(

Comment

Try the library nearest to the property. They will probably have valuation rolls which will tell you who the owner was, the feuar/lessee and any tenant or sub tenant. Often some of these categories are the same person with the exception of the first one as most property was leasehold so you will see the big landowner in the first column. If they don’t hold the volumes (or local extracts done by an FHS etc.), they will tell you where to enquire.

Comment

Not sure where you are looking but if it was in the ST Anns area which most has now been demolished. There is a site called St Anns Pre demolition and they have a street directory for each street sometime between 1953 and 1958.It might help. We are on the street we lived in and they were the dates.

If you are not sure which are you need send me a pm and I will try to help.
        Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

thank you. all very much ...hi Jill.

the property I'm looking at was on Newcastle street, which is now a little stub of a road at the side of the vic centre, but was then a long road.

I'm nowhere near nottm these days but I know.someone who is and who is tracing the same family, so I'm sure shell help.

the background. is that I've got. someone who's quoted in the local newspaper as the owner, but I don't see how he could possibly have afforded it....probably just a misunderstanding by the. journalist....and I can't find a will.

on the other hand, there's always been a rumour that he. got a fair amount of money from an unusual source and this would help clarify this....

Comment

Years ago when I started doing genealogy I used a new site then by Leicester University as they were photocopying at the street directories. Have just looked it up on google and it is on ancestry. Put in Newcastle ST Nottingham and there are hundreds but if you know a name you will have better luck. I found a Joseph Beardsley at no 10 in 1920. Just shows it is possible to find. Hope this helps.
            Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

thanks Lin.....sorry, my computer insisted on putting a capital on your name.

I know who was living there and I know the number.

when you say leasehold, would this have worked like a modern leasehold...I think my man would have had to pay rent.

ive got another family in st Anns....have you got anybody there who moved down from Liverpool in the 1880s or 1890s.....just trying to solve a puzzle

Comment

Originally posted by greyingrey View Post
                thanks Lin.....sorry, my computer insisted on putting a capital on your name.

I know who was living there and I know the number.

when you say leasehold, would this have worked like a modern leasehold...I think my man would have had to pay rent.

ive got another family in st Anns....have you got anybody there who moved down from Liverpool in the 1880s or 1890s.....just trying to solve a puzzle
                That’s where the valuation rolls come good. If your man paid rent, to whom did he pay it? and to whom did that person/organisation pay in turn? all the way up the line till you reach the actual landowner.

Comment

There are various conveyancing documents in Nottinghamshire Archives, although most are later than your post indicates.

The only one Ive spotted from nearer the mid C19 is this from 1832:
                  "Office copy will of John Lees of Nottingham, joiner and cabinet maker; bequests include property in Newcastle Street, Glasshouse Street and Balloon, Staff and Kingston Courts, near Parliament Street"

Comment

Working...
                  X