Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there any more i can do?

Hi

My nan has an unknown maternal grandad and she has many DNA matches that are neither from her mums maternal side or from her dads side, so I believe they are on this unknown side (she has first cousins on her dads side, and a direct descendant of her nan from a marriage who have DNA tested and none of those match these people, so I'm pretty confident they have to come from this man).

I have managed to isolate 3 families, one she has 7 matches to one couple that are from both parties (descendants of siblings of this couple as well as direct descendants, so I believe she is from this couple).

5 matches to descendants of another couple, but going back further to their siblings seems to be quite illusive (the cm matches are quite low so I actually think nan is from a sibling of one of these couple)

She then has 2 matches from either side of a couple, however this couple didn't seem to have any children so I'm a little bit perplexed on this one. She also has matches to people who have the same surnames and village, but so far I have not been able to link them.

I have not found any marriages or links to get any of these families together, other than families one and two at one point lived next door to each other so my biggest likelihood is that there was something illegitimate going on.

My nan is from Jersey, so I was hoping to be able to narrow down someone from the Fulham, Somerset or Berkshire areas in the 1911 census (her mum was born in 1909) nothing seems to be there that I can see. I have also looked at the East Surrey regimental service records as they were in Jersey and left in 1909, but again nothing is coming out.

I have created an online tree and have about a thousand people on it all coming from these DNA matches, as well as other DNA matches that have the same names and/or locations but I haven't yet been able to link. I have used DNA painter to compile where I think this grandfather fits, and unfortunately all the matches I can find are on Ancestry so I'm not able to do any sort of triangulation checks. Some are on Gedmatch but again, there isn't much I can do with their data.

My nan has 3 large matches over 100cm that seem to be from this line, but I have tried to contact them all and have had no response and none of them have trees.

Is there anything I can do other than keep plodding on with adding people onto the tree and seeing if something happens? My worst fear is that this man was an illegitimate child and so I will never find out the answer.
    Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)
Working...
X