Well, I’ll go to the foot of our stairs :shut-mouth:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, I’ll go to the foot of our stairs :shut-mouth:

I don’t blooming well believe it but I have only gone and got myself banned from the Facebook group FTM Users Group. I lost access somewhere overnight last night. No warning just BAM! gone. I have never been banned from anything in my life. Am not a happy bunny.
    Last Friday, I asked a simple question about the promised bug fix update for FTM2017. My question was declined and I got a pm from an unknown admin with no right of reply that I could see. The gist of the answer was they don’t know, nobody does and I should read the official mackiev update page. Then it went into a longer blurb about the orange weather synch status which I had not asked about in the first place as I do not use it.
    I had not posted anything else in the group since I got the pm, yet 4 days later I find myself banned.
    I had copied and pasted my question in a screenshot to another FTM group I have joined and commented that I couldn’t see why my question had been declined and what reason could there possibly be for them not wanting to answer me openly in the group. All I can think of is that there is an FTM Users Group admin also in FTM Freetalk and they didn’t like what they saw there.
    This is what I asked originally, the pm part was removed and does not show in FTM Freetalk. It did for a minute or two until someone pointed out that the answer was in a pm and suggested I did not have the right to show it. So pronto, I took that bit out. The same person also suggested my question was not acceptable because it had already been discussed. However, I had already put in various search terms in the group to find out if there had been any news and got no hits so I asked my question which I thought was legitimate and not at all derogatory.
    End of vent, and now back of my horse

FBFEC8D1-CF50-49AB-A082-103D1C622795.jpeg

I get the impression that you are not alone, I personally think a FB group is not a good way to manage the community as 'permanent problems' soon get buried and then people ask again, and it is seen as the person asking that is the fault, not the fat that they have a FB group that really is not designed to do the job in hand!

There are a lot of rude people on FB as well.....

Have you been banned from group or just post declined?
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Both. Post declined on Friday and sometime early hours this morning UK time I was banned as about 10am the group was missing from my groups list and I can’t even find it at all on Facebook so it looks like I’m banned and blocked.
      I am far from only one who has been banned from FTM Users Group in last month. Two or three who have joined the new group are like me. Don’t know what they did to merit the ban. No warnings for bad behaviour just banned. A few others know it’s likely because they complained about one or other of the many bugs.
      Last edited by GallowayLass; 04-11-19, 17:04.

Comment

some of those groups are so clique, I hardly ever go on FB

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
          Both. Post declined on Friday and sometime early hours this morning UK time I was banned as about 10am the group was missing from my groups list and I can’t even find it at all on Facebook so it looks like I’m banned and blocked.
          I am far from only one who has been banned from FTM Users Group in last month. Two or three who have joined the new group are like me. Don’t know what they did to merit the ban. No warnings for bad behaviour just banned. A few others know it’s likely because they complained about one or other of the many bugs.
          It may be be because you posted elsewhere - some groups have that in their Ts and Cs which of course you can't see any more to see how you have transgressed.
          Caroline
          Caroline's Family History Pages
          Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

That could be it Caroline but as the ban was instant there was no explanation, warning or even a request to remove my post from the other group. So now I’ll never know for certain.
            As you can see from the screenshot, my question was hardly controversial and one I though many 2017 users would interesting in knowing the answer to. The publicity many months ago now about 2019 and the update to 2017 never said that both things would not happen together.
            Last edited by GallowayLass; 04-11-19, 17:28.

Comment

You should have been allowed to explain how you did try to find if this had been asked before and some kind of discussion entered into. Sounds like a horrible site and the handling of your ban sounds quite forceful in the extreme.......just because you dared ask a question
              Jacky

Comment

If you really want to find out a) who might have banned you, ie names of administrators, and/or b) the T&Cs to see if that was your transgression, there is a really sneaky way to do it.

FB lets people have more than one account, many more if you can set up different email address!

I discovered this years ago when I was banned from an FB site for no apparent reason. I grumbled about it on a small private site that I was then on, and someone suggested the following .......

get a free email account, eg Gmail through Google, or a Yahoo account

Use a name that is different from the one that you used on the FB group

Join or apply to join the FB group using your "assumed name" and the new email address

If accepted, look for the administrators, T&Cs, and see if any comment has been made on the site.

In my case, it turned out that a new administrator had been appointed and basically taken over the group, and it was someone that had been a trouble maker on GR because they didn't obey the T&Cs on there, and our paths had crossed many times because of it.

That person saw my post, realised who I was, and out the door I went!

When I knew why, I had no more desire to be in that group!
                My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Sylvia, that’s a good idea. Will try that tomorrow. I’d like to see the T&C again.

Comment

Just for a laugh, I was Missy Weller for the purpose ............... Missy is a relatively common name over here. Weller was the name of the creek that was on our cabin property, a name that was never mentioned on any site at that time.

I used gmail because I use Google all the time, and I'd had to set up a gmail account in order to be able to talk to Estelle and other people working at GR, after their server had decided not to recognise my home server for some reason
                    My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

there is another group that is aimed at UK users, I have just joined it. It appears to be a lot less busy as far fewer members, few posts I have read seem to be friendlier.

I did notice a load of people have been deleted as they have switched off private messaging from admin. I have no idea what difference it makes, and why you would, and how you do it.
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

If you mean they switched off communications/blocked admins in the main FTM group, that is an instant ban. Same as you, I wouldn’t know to switch off private messaging from admin.
                        I saw the UK group too way back at the beginning but decided not to join as nothing much was happening going by the stats. There is a new group started by Lewis Buttery for those who want to be free to say whatever they want about the product (within certain necessary rules). A fair amount of those banned from the main group have joined. Me included but I had joined a few weeks before my ban. It’s called Family Tree Maker Freetalk if anyone is interested in joining.
                        Last edited by GallowayLass; 05-11-19, 10:06.

Comment

The T&C of the original group have now been checked and there is nothing that says you can’t cross post to another group. That leaves me with no theory other than an admin from the main group or perhaps more than one is also a member at Freetalk and are lurking and reporting back to their colleagues resulting in members there being banned.

Comment

Working...
                          X