Any family historian users, please? Advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any family historian users, please? Advice needed

I have a very old version on my PC, which I can still use to record data for my family research. I have to have a new computer, which will have windows 10. I will need to buy a new version of Family Historian asap, to load as a platform so that my current data can be copied and uploaded.
    So, is Family Historian 6 what I need to buy?? I intend to buy a new boxed set with disc etc, rather than to download updates. (I think I'm still using version 3 as my current platform, lol) I'm assuming version 6 will be compatible with Windows 10?? I want to buy it within the next couple of weeks so that my computer man can install it for me when he brings and sets up the new kit.
    I realise this request is probably on the wrong forum, but wanted to put it where it would be spotted, so that I get help asap as to what to buy. I'm a complete dumbo where ICT is concerned and there is no-one in my personal circle that I can ask for help.
    Thanks.
    Jay
    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 30-10-19, 19:46.
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

does this answer your question

Family Historian 6 runs on Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, Vista, on both 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Windows. ... It will run quite happily on any PC that meets the minimum requirements of Windows itself.

Comment

it actually says you cannot update to 6 from 3 anyway only from 5

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
        I have a very old version on my PC, which I can still use to record data for my family research. I have to have a new computer, which will have windows 10. I will need to buy a new version of Family Historian asap, to load as a platform so that my current data can be copied and uploaded.
        So, is Family Historian 6 what I need to buy?? I intend to buy a new boxed set with disc etc, rather than to download updates. (I think I'm still using version 3 as my current platform, lol) I'm assuming version 6 will be compatible with Windows 10?? I want to buy it within the next couple of weeks so that my computer man can install it for me when he brings and sets up the new kit.
        I realise this request is probably on the wrong forum, but wanted to put it where it would be spotted, so that I get help asap as to what to buy. I'm a complete dumbo where ICT is concerned and there is no-one in my personal circle that I can ask for help.
        Thanks.
        Jay
        I had many problems uploading my FH 6.2 on to a new computer with Windows 10 and would only upload from my 6.0 disk. Then every time I tried to upgrade to 6.2 I would lose it and have to revert to to 6.0 but then FH kept telling me to upgrade to 6.2. Eventually after a year I did manage to upgrade to 6.2 so maybe Windows has sorted the problem now. I was on the verge of buying a new 6 box but as I had bought my original from TWR Computing I went back to them to seek some help though I think it was a Windows 10 problem. They were very hekpful. I did lose my pictures and certs I had on the site due to the messing around and I have not yet put them back as that is not easy to do either. Is 6 still the latest boxed set? If it is you will still have to upgrade to 6.2. Have you asked for help on the FB Forum?

Yes I had to have FH5 to upgrade to 6.
        Janet
        Last edited by Janet; 30-10-19, 20:25.

Comment

Thanks both. As far as I can see, the most recent boxed set is Family Historian 6.
          Janet is FB forum Facebook? In which case I don't do Facebook.

I don't want to buy something I can't use, but prefer to use a disc (and then press and go) rather than to download things.

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

The FHUG (Family Historian Users' Group) has its own website. https://www.fhug.org.uk/

There is a Facebook page, but the website is much better for technical and other advice. They talked me through step-by-step when I upgraded my program.
            Elizabeth
            Research Interests:
            England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
            Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Thank you Elizabeth. I'll visit that website.
              I think I am envisaging having to start again - exporting to disc each of the family databases I have compiled, then loading them to a "new" platform and importing each database to that. Additionally I have lots of profiles etc but they are all stored separately as word docs.

Jay
              Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 30-10-19, 21:02.
              Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I saw a demo of the new version 7 at RootsTech and talked to Simon Orde afterwards. The new version will be out next year - he hopes in the first quarter.

I'm off to bed now but will tell you about the changes, some of which are very big, tomorrow.
                Caroline
                Caroline's Family History Pages
                Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

You'll find some changes from version 3 but don't worry your original data will still load onto v6. Hopefully it will ask you to create a 'project' and it really is best to do that. It keeps all your FH in one place. Do get advice from the User Group and don't be afraid to ask them to spell it out if you are unsure. The expert users are very patient and very meticulous!
                  Anne

Comment

Thank you Anne.

Jay
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I was lucky to see the demo - I had stopped at their stand by chance and was told he was about to begin - actually the previous one overran and I chose to stay with his Demo and missed the Keynote Speaker for the day. I went back to the stand and spent some time talking to him as he was effectively doing the demo for another couple of users and was able to ask questions but of course thought of the best ones after I'd gone.. I also seized the opportunity to thank Jane (jtaubman) for her input on FTF.

I was a bit slow realising I could take photos as well, but I don't think I missed anything important. So these are the headlines.

The best bit for me is the text boxes getting word processing, spell check etc..... also the tags.

Caroline
                      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Thanks for that input, Caroline.
                        My (very ancient) version is greatly out of date and I have retained it really as a platform for recording data about individuals and for generating family profiles, which I then edit and save as word documents. I never did use all the facilities and the change of PC a few years ago meant that many of its functions no longer worked properly, but served my purpose of storing my facts about individuals and the sources of information.
                        I think I will try to order FH6 and hope that I can find a simple way around it at first, and then gradually increase my expertise by exploring its many functions. I'm not very good with change these days and soon lose my confidence!
                        I'm assuming that once v7 is released, there will be facilities for downloading upgrades if I ever get that far??

Thanks to all who have replied - the main thing is that I'm now reassured that I won't lose all my research info! It looks like, for starters, I'm going to be doing some exporting and then importing of data to get the basic info transferred. A tremendous learning curve ahead and one way of keeping busy over Christmas or the New Year!

Jay
                        Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 31-10-19, 13:03.
                        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I think I will try to order FH6 and hope that I can find a simple way around it at first, and then gradually increase my expertise by exploring its many functions. I'm not very good with change these days and soon lose my confidence!
                          I'm assuming that once v7 is released, there will be facilities for downloading upgrades if I ever get that far??

Thanks to all who have replied - the main thing is that I'm now reassured that I won't lose all my research info! It looks like, for starters, I'm going to be doing some exporting and then importing of data to get the basic info transferred. A tremendous learning curve ahead and one way of keeping busy over Christmas or the New Year!

Jay
                          You could download a 30 day trial and have a look. At the show you could buy V6 and get a free upgrade to 7. Upgrades to new versions have to be paid for, but updates to a current version are free, but less then the full one. But if you've bought the software close to the launch I think they generally give the update free.
                          Caroline

Comment

I just came acroos this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2O5...ature=youtu.be

Jill Ball, Australian, interviewed Simon on the Saturday. He talks about the new version at about 2 minutes in with more explanations about my slides..
                            Caroline

Comment

Thanks both. As far as I can see, the most recent boxed set is Family Historian 6.
                              Janet is FB forum Facebook? In which case I don't do Facebook.

I don't want to buy something I can't use, but prefer to use a disc (and then press and go) rather than to download things.

Jay
                              Sorry Jay that should have been FH Forum Family Historian Forum So if it is still V6 you will still have to do an update to 6/2 after download as that is the most up to date and that was where I had my problems so ask the FH forum for advoce on that. Mine is working OK now on 6/2.

Janet

Last edited by Janet; 31-10-19, 15:18.

Comment

Thanks for the photos Caroline, the new version is looking good.
                                Margaret

Comment

Working...
                                X