Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wedding certificate details

wedding certificate details

I was trying to offer somebody help with their family as they were convinced they were related to my in -laws but I knew she was on the wrong track so I advised her to order a marriage certificate telling her it would give the bride and grooms fathers and occupations, how wrong was i? She said there is just a line through all that section so no more details other than their ages and that the groom had a marriage dissolved. I would have thought that something would have been put in that section even if it was deceased.

I have seen a number of parish certificate books, from the earlier days of registration in particular, where the vicar has not entered the fathers or their occupations for lots of consecutive certificate entries. It is very frustrating.
    Anne

I feel bad as it was my advice that made her order the certificate. Not sure how she is going to find anything now

It was proper, solid advice. Not your fault the expected information wasn't recorded.

If neither of them knew their father's names (illegitimate in other words) then that section would be left blank. I have quite few marriage certs with blanks where the father's name ought to be.

OC

I wondered if it would be on his previous marriage or at least have unknown on it.

Gloryer, I don't think a certificate ever has the word "unknown" on it where the father's name should be as registration doesn't require that. It will be left blank with a line through it.

You know what I am going to say next, lol - you will only know what was on the first marriage cert if you buy it. One of mine married twice, put two different made up father's names, but those made up names confirmed my research and I am now 99% sure of the identity of his birth father.

OC

OC ............

I have a certificate where it says "illegitimate" where the father's name should be.

and I have seen a Parish Register entry where a father's name was written in, then crossed out and "unknown" put instead (presumably by the vicar).
    My parents at my brother's wedding, March 1952

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Sylvia

I have Scottish certificates which say "illegitimate" but not English ones. I have also often seen illegitimate in a parish register, but never on an English certificate.

OC

Quote Originally Posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
    Sylvia

I have Scottish certificates which say "illegitimate" but not English ones. I have also often seen illegitimate in a parish register, but never on an English certificate.

OC
    There you go OC. My 2nd Great Grandmother's marriage in 1865. What a nice man that vicar was!! When I got the certificate I wondered at first what it actually said.

Emma.JPG
    Kat

Some of my favourite genealogy treasures are what my ancestors tried to hide!