Marriage licence no banns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage licence no banns

In 1850 Married by licence, ok but why no banns and can you source the licence, also trace the vicar

Originally posted by Caz589 View Post
    In 1850 Married by licence, ok but why no banns and can you source the licence, also trace the vicar

Few Marriage Licences are online and most are still with the County Record Offices . Many survive and are worth looking at. They do not have banns because the marriage taken place quickly, various reasons why, such as pregnancy, somebody going into the armed forces, being able to afford to marry without bothering with Banns, runaway or under age marriages. The point of a Licence is Quickness.

Janet

Comment

The marriage certificate will give you the name of the vicar or the person who performed the marriage.

OC

Comment

Thanks Janet will look into that

Comment

Nearly all my husband’s lot were married by licence. They were non conformists, but married C of E.

Comment

Libby

Most of my Lancashire lot were nonconformists. I have one Roman Catholic couple who married in the parish church and the parish register entry reads "married in the vestry". I've often wondered how they managed to get the vicar to agree to that.

OC

Comment

This link about marriage, banns and licenses will probably work:

It's about pg 441 in the book.

Comment

Working...
              X