I do not like this one little bit!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I do not like this one little bit!!

I am shocked at what I have just found in FMP this very minute.
    I have had three separate emails telling me 1. I have a possible new relative 2. I have new hints for my tree and 3. I have new record matches for my tree.
    ???? that would be very clever as I don’t have a tree on FMP other than they start one off for you using your own name and I have not touched that.
    I went into my account and found that I have acquired a tree called GIBSON and this is the one all the emails applied to. My surname now and before was never Gibson.
    But, and this is the scary bit - last night I was trying to find an elusive Gibson man in childhood on Scottish censuses before he married an ancestor in my mother’s maternal line. As ancestry had proved no use, I tried to see if the FMP transcription was any better.
    My main tree which contains this branch is totally offline so what the **** happened?
    It took me a while to find a page where I had the option to delete the tree but I have done so in the hope it or some other one does not attach itself to me in the future.
    I am out shopping at the moment but when I get home, I will be right on the phone to FMP to hear what they have to say.
    Last edited by GallowayLass; 18-10-19, 13:33.

FMP just look at the records you have just been searching for and 'helpfully' suggest similar ones. I have had emails like this. Needless to say the 'hints' are eiother ones I already have or completely useless ones.

I have just had a look and find that there is a tiny 'sample' tree with the surname Day on my list. I don't have that name in my tree. I think it is just an example of what you can do. It was made on 30th June 2019 and has one person. I have removed it anyway!
    Anne
    Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 18-10-19, 13:39.

Comment

I can see the usefulness of suggesting other records for someone you are searching for but how in the heck can they build a tree for me with 7 people in it and attach it to my account?
      Up till today, I have never had this type of email from FMP before and I search on it virtually every day.

Comment

OK, I've been getting them for about a month I think.
        Anne

Comment

Ah well. Have just come off the phone with an FMP assistant who assures me categorically that this cannot happen from their end. I must have done it myself. There are 3 buttons available at “what can I do with this record?” Be ultra careful with the blue one - it starts a tree using the person you have been looking at. If that was a census record, the whole family in the household also goes into the tree.
          Obviously my thick thumbs at play again!

Comment

Blimey, better be careful then. Thanks for finding this out.
            Anne

Comment

I didn't know about them creating a tree so have just been to have a look. They have me down with part of my name as it is now, thankfully no birth date or anything but have decided that I was born in Leeds!! I have never even been to Leeds, let alone born there and neither were any of my ancestors. Where on earth did they get that from?
              Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

I am just getting to know FMP, and it really is not to my liking. I guess I am used to Ancestry, but I feel they have spent a lot of time getting it looking pretty, but the functionality is not there.

It seems pretty hard to make a tree private, I have several test trees that I look for relatives, and add random records in the hope that the search will pick things up, not managing to do that effectively so given up!

I think I may need to read some instructions as it just doesn't seem intuitive enough.
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                  I am just getting to know FMP, and it really is not to my liking. I guess I am used to Ancestry, but I feel they have spent a lot of time getting it looking pretty, but the functionality is not there.

It seems pretty hard to make a tree private, I have several test trees that I look for relatives, and add random records in the hope that the search will pick things up, not managing to do that effectively so given up!

I think I may need to read some instructions as it just doesn't seem intuitive enough.
                  I don't use FMP for a tree at all. I did try one but stopped when I found out that they will never enable you to make the tree public, which is what I wanted.
                  However, I find searching for stuff on FMP much, much better than Ancestry. I usually turn to FMP first because you don't get so many stupidly random results. By the way I have subscribed to both sites for quite a few years and becoming more fond of FMP as time goes by.
                  Anne

Comment

Fmp is amazeballs, but their trees are clunky. I only started one because their parish records are better than ancestry's.

But they aren't adding any parish records lately, just filming books that are free on the internet. Frustrating, since northern england is poorly represented online.

Comment

Will persevere!

here is one thing I struggle with:
                      I like to flick through census - and go to page one to see what area it covered - but there are no number controls like ancestry. I also like to choose the neighbouring lot using the breadcrumbs on Ancestry I haven't a clue how to do either in FMP.
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                        Will persevere!

here is one thing I struggle with:
                        I like to flick through census - and go to page one to see what area it covered - but there are no number controls like ancestry. I also like to choose the neighbouring lot using the breadcrumbs on Ancestry I haven't a clue how to do either in FMP.
                        Me neither Carolyn. Yet the parish records let you do that. Not immediately though, I usually have to click the right or left hand arrows a couple of times to view pages before it twigs that I want to browse and the page number box appears. I find it useful when the index reference only gives a town or village and I know from genuki that there is more than one possible church so I need to check which one it actually is.

Comment

Working...
                        X