Marriage certificates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage certificates

Would someone lie about we’re they came from and there father and his occupation in 1850

yes yes yes , have found that a lot, especially with bigamists, plus they may not have known where they were born .

Comment

Yes lies do happen and also errors on the certificate but if everything is incorrect you do also need to think about wether it is the right marriage.
      Anne
      Edit to say ... there isn't a place on an English marriage certificate for 'where you came from' only what your current address is.
      Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 17-10-19, 21:49.

Comment

Yes! Just about every marriage cert in my family contsins at least an exaggeration and some have downright lies. Others I suspect the Vicar wasn't concentrating when he wrote down information.

OC

Comment

Yes !
          I've seen Ag. Labs become farmers, invented fathers, additional forenames to make one seem grander and a vicar copying the bride's name and stating her father was Janet instead of James.

Conversely, I had one certificate where the bride stated father unknown, after she had been living with him and his family in a census.

Any thing is possible.

Comment

Also the crucial father's name: left blank lol frustrating

Comment

Thanks all still cant find him??

Comment

Would an iron moulder go to be a watch repairer

Comment

Not a usual change one would have thought.
                  Working with iron would have been tough and manual, whereas a watch repairer would be involved in delicate, intricate work.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                    Also the crucial father's name: left blank lol frustrating
                    I have just come across that for the bride and groom. I must still be a bit naive after all this time in searching. lol

Comment

Originally posted by Caz589 View Post
                      Would an iron moulder go to be a watch repairer

Interesting one! I had a Blacksmith wo made intricate wrought iron gates for variuos churches who emmigrated to the USA and became an iron moulder so not sure. Heavy work yes but can make intricate and delicate artickes.

Janet
                      Last edited by Janet; 24-10-19, 17:05.

Comment

Working...
                      X