Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: W.w.1 enlistment records

W.w.1 enlistment records

Hello, do these exist? I am trying to establish if the Alfred Richards killed in 1916 is the guy that I am looking for, C.W.G.C records give his fathers names as James and his wife, Beatrice. My Alfred,s wife was Beatrice but his father was Thomas.

I would imagine that when Alfred enlisted he would have had to give next of kin? Everything points to this Alfred the one I am looking for but his fathers name being James is the stumbling block.

I did look in the Cornwall census,s for a James who had a son Alfred but could not find a connection. The age of Alfred when he was killed ties in with his birth date.

Thanks.
    Toby.

Only about 30% of the war records for WW1 servicemen are still in existence, and most of those are damaged to a greater or lesser extent.

IF the record exists, the first page is the enlistment record.

As you may imagine, you will be very lucky to find the record!

Both Ancestry and FMP have the WW1 records, such as they are.
    My parents at my brother's wedding, March 1952

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

I'll have a look, if you give me his service number, and where he is buried/killed from the information that you have.

although the records may have been removed from the data base after he died.
    Last edited by Sylvia C; 17-10-19 at 00:51.

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

I'm assuming that this if the Alfred you are looking for??

Corporal RICHARDS, ALFRED

Service Number 21497

Died 05/08/1916

Aged 25

10th Bn.
    Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry

Son of James Richards, of Centenary St., Camborne; husband of Beatrice Richards, of 8, Shoot Row, Redruth, Cornwall.

Do those addresses help?

If you go to this site ...........

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills

select Soldiers

You will find his will, but you have to buy it os far as I know ...... that would tell you more about him

I couldn't find his records ............ and I think I misled you a little in my first post. I think records for dead soldiers were removed from the "active" files.

I also tried to see if there was any record of his death in a newspaper, but didn't see anything

Thanks Sylvia, yes, you have the right guy. I did get his Will but only told me that he left his property to Beatrice who lived at 8 Shoot Row, Redruth, in 1911 the family lived in Centenary Street ,Camborne which is a connection to "James".
    I also believe that Beatrice Richards married Albert J. Evans in 1922, in 1939 Beatrice was in Redruth her birth year of 1891 is correct.
    I did look at Ancestry at my local library for Alfred but got the same info. as CWGC.could CWGC have incorrect info. regarding his fathers name? Tough one this!

I must have been lucky. Two grandfathers enlisted, one 100 percent ok, one partially burnt. Father missing but of three uncles who were In the service two survive nearly complete.
    Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Every second man in my family is called James, it seems. For what it's worth, more than once they have been mistranscribed as Thomas, which is not a name found on this side of my family. Although in your case it probably won't be a transcription error, it is worth bearing in mind. "James" can look like "Thomas" and vice versa when written in florid copperplate.

OC

Interesting O.C. had not thought of that but can see the connection between the names, I am going to assume that I have the right person, as I said there is no Alfred with a father James in the 1911 census.