W.w.1 enlistment records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• W.w.1 enlistment records

Hello, do these exist? I am trying to establish if the Alfred Richards killed in 1916 is the guy that I am looking for, C.W.G.C records give his fathers names as James and his wife, Beatrice. My Alfred,s wife was Beatrice but his father was Thomas.

I would imagine that when Alfred enlisted he would have had to give next of kin? Everything points to this Alfred the one I am looking for but his fathers name being James is the stumbling block.

I did look in the Cornwall census,s for a James who had a son Alfred but could not find a connection. The age of Alfred when he was killed ties in with his birth date.

Thanks.
    Toby.

Only about 30% of the war records for WW1 servicemen are still in existence, and most of those are damaged to a greater or lesser extent.

IF the record exists, the first page is the enlistment record.

As you may imagine, you will be very lucky to find the record!

Both Ancestry and FMP have the WW1 records, such as they are.
    My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

I'll have a look, if you give me his service number, and where he is buried/killed from the information that you have.

although the records may have been removed from the data base after he died.
      Last edited by Sylvia C; 17-10-19, 00:51.
      My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

I'm assuming that this if the Alfred you are looking for??

Corporal RICHARDS, ALFRED

Service Number 21497

Died 05/08/1916

Aged 25

10th Bn.
        Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry

Son of James Richards, of Centenary St., Camborne; husband of Beatrice Richards, of 8, Shoot Row, Redruth, Cornwall.

Do those addresses help?

Comment

If you go to this site ...........

select Soldiers

You will find his will, but you have to buy it os far as I know ...... that would tell you more about him

Comment

I couldn't find his records ............ and I think I misled you a little in my first post. I think records for dead soldiers were removed from the "active" files.

I also tried to see if there was any record of his death in a newspaper, but didn't see anything

Comment

Thanks Sylvia, yes, you have the right guy. I did get his Will but only told me that he left his property to Beatrice who lived at 8 Shoot Row, Redruth, in 1911 the family lived in Centenary Street ,Camborne which is a connection to "James".
              I also believe that Beatrice Richards married Albert J. Evans in 1922, in 1939 Beatrice was in Redruth her birth year of 1891 is correct.
              I did look at Ancestry at my local library for Alfred but got the same info. as CWGC.could CWGC have incorrect info. regarding his fathers name? Tough one this!

Comment

I must have been lucky. Two grandfathers enlisted, one 100 percent ok, one partially burnt. Father missing but of three uncles who were In the service two survive nearly complete.
                Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Every second man in my family is called James, it seems. For what it's worth, more than once they have been mistranscribed as Thomas, which is not a name found on this side of my family. Although in your case it probably won't be a transcription error, it is worth bearing in mind. "James" can look like "Thomas" and vice versa when written in florid copperplate.

OC

Comment

Interesting O.C. had not thought of that but can see the connection between the names, I am going to assume that I have the right person, as I said there is no Alfred with a father James in the 1911 census.

Comment

Originally posted by grumpy View Post
                      I must have been lucky. Two grandfathers enlisted, one 100 percent ok, one partially burnt. Father missing but of three uncles who were In the service two survive nearly complete.
                      I also was lucky ...

.... my maternal grandfather and my father's eldest brother both fought in WW1.

Grandfather was mid-30s, married with 3 children and ended up in the Machine Gun Corps. There is one gap in his records .......... about 15/16 months between being trasnferred to the MGC and leaving Bengal in India to go to Basra.

Uncle was just about 18, single

I have found the records for both of them, and my grandfather's including some letters he wrote in January/February 1919 asking to be released early because money problems due to his wife's inability to handle money . He'd just arrived back from "Mesopotamia" (mainly current-day Iraq). There was also a letter from his pre-war employer saying he would gladly re-employ grandfather.

Now I really know why my mother had to leave school at age 14 in 1917 "to help my mother with money". :(

My uncle's records gave me all the details about his injuries, gassing etc, and explained a lot about him as I knew him.

I didn't have any other close relatives in WW1. neither did OH, so I haven't yet been disappointed, though I have looked for lots of other people and think I'm about 25% lucky.

Often the only thing to be found is a Medal Card or record of his death
                      Last edited by Sylvia C; 17-10-19, 23:48.

Comment

there is something on Fold3, not sure if you are on Ancestry, but it gives this detail:

Name: Alfred Richards
                        Record Type: Card
                        Death Date: 4 Aug 1916
                        Service Number: 2/497
                        Corps, Regiment or Unit: D of Cornwells L T.
                        Title: Pension Record Cards
                        Description: Other Ranks Died Rhodes J-Richards C
                        Reference Number: 11/W/53955
                        Next of Kin:
                        Name Relation to Soldier
                        Alfred Richards
                        Beatrice Evens Widow
                        Reginald Garfield Richards Son
                        Last edited by cbcarolyn; 18-10-19, 11:10.
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Thanks very much Carolyn, you may have solved the puzzle for me! I have Alfred married to Beatrice Gill in 1914, Reginald G. born 1915, did not know that he was Garfield, Alfreds younger brother was Henry Garfield so there is a name link. In 1922 Beatrice married Albert Evans but in 1916, as a relation she should be Beatrice Richards in your record above?
                          I think that I need to get Alfred/Beatrice marriage certificate to see if I have the correct Alfred, would appreciate your thoughts!
                          Toby.

Comment

Toby

Beatrice's maiden name was Gill for the birth of Reginald, so you probably do have the correct marriage.

The record would have been retrospective, so she may well have been Mrs Evans by the time the record was written.

OC

Comment

I don't know if the record on Fold3 will give you more info, someone on here may be able to advise. It is the pension record, I am guessing it took a while to sort out.

there is a marriage of a Beatrice Richards:
                              Name
                              Albert J Evans
                              Registration Date
                              Jan-22
                              Registration Quarter
                              Jan-Feb-Mar
                              Registration district
                              Redruth
                              Inferred County
                              Cornwall
                              Spouse
                              Beatrice Richards
                              Volume Number
                              5c
                              Page number
                              Evans, Richards - 5c 325
                              Household Members
                              NameAge
                              NameAlbert J Evans
                              NameBeatrice Richards
                              Carolyn
                              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

I assume you have these as you were asking about marriage cert
                                Name
                                Beatrice Gill
                                Spouse Surname
                                Richards
                                Registration Year
                                Registration Quarter
                                Oct-Nov-Dec
                                Registration district
                                Redruth
                                Parishes for this Registration District
                                Redruth
                                Inferred County
                                Cornwall
                                Volume
                                5c
                                Page
                                Household Members
                                NameAge
                                NameBeatrice Gill
                                NameAlfred Richards
                                Carolyn
                                Family Tree site

Comment

Cornish opc has the Parish Record for their marriage. It's free to use

Alfred's father's name is shown as Thomas Henry Richards (deceased), Blacksmith

Comment

Thanks everyone, great result for me! The usual great response and help from the Forum.
                                    Toby.

Comment

Working...
                                    X