Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travelling family look up

Hi all,

Back to some of my travellers. I realise they just might not be on these census but maybe i'm just not looking - brain block!?

I'm trying to find:
    John Bland b. 1830ish somewhere in Berkshire (Marcham, Abingdon and on one census not filled in!) on the 1851 and 1861 - links for the ones I do have him on are below.

I also am unable to find his 3 children Matilda, Patience and Harriet (I presume they are from a different marriage/relationship as he ends up with Eliza - Mum to the other children by 1871 and she's much too young to be their Mum - plus I have her on the 1851 with parents and 1861 by herself) although Harriet may not of been born until after the census in 1861 on these 2 census either!

If anyone wants to take a quick look I'd be most grateful just to double check

Thanks all!

Tessie

not sure if these are yours:

is this Matilda? Are there any Reeds in the family?
    NameMathilda Reed Bland
    Age20Birth Yearabt 1855M
    arriage or Bann Date30 Oct 1875
    Marriage PlaceRotherfield Peppard, Oxfordshire, England
    Parish as it AppearsRotherfield Peppard
    SpouseHenry Wright Wagmard Moren
    FatherJohn Bland
    NameAge
    Name
    Henry Wright Wagmard Moren
    Name
    Moses Moren
    Name
    Mathilda Reed Bland
    Name
    John Bland

I am sure it reads Waymark

then I think this is them as Moring?
    NameMatilda Moring
    GenderFemaleAge35
    RelationshipWife
    Birth Year1856
    SpouseHenry Moring
    ChildFlora Moring
    Birth PlaceBucklebury, Berkshire, England
    Civil parishRotherfield Peppard
    Residence PlacePeppard, Rotherfield Peppard, Oxfordshire, England
    Sub registration districtHenley
    Sub Schedule Number16
    Piece1157
    Folio86
    Household Members
    NameAge
    Name
    Henry Moring
    Name
    Matilda Moring
    Name
    Flora Moring
    Name
    Owen Moring
    Name
    Amos Moring
    Name
    Martha Moring
    Name
    Allan Moring
    Name
    Beatrice Moring

Then there is the one for a Patience

Name: Patience BlandGender: Female
    Birth Year: abt 1856
    Marriage or Bann Date: 8 Dec 1877
    Marriage Place: Rotherfield Peppard, Oxfordshire, England
    Parish as it Appears: Rotherfield Peppard
    Spouse: Andrew Wright Waymark
    Father: John Bland

It might be worth flicking through the register and see if any more of the family are on there?
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Carolyn,

I don't know where the name 'Reed' comes in - I wonder if it relates to the mother of the eldest three - was hoping that if I find them on the 1851 and 1861 with their Dad that this would clear that up!

I have them for BMD's and all census from 1871 - it's just the 2 census before I can't find them on
      Last edited by tessie31082; 17-10-19, 13:41.

Comment

so these are yours, I was trying to get some place of births, as Patience is not known, is this the same in all the next census?
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Carolyn,

Yes they are the ones. I have them on the census's from 1871 and the 1939 and John on the 1841 - just not the 1851 and 1861. John doesn't marry Eliza until much later so no point looking for that as that won't help

Comment

Hi all, just re-visiting this!
            I still don't see John or the three eldest children on the 1851/1861 - I realise as they were travellers that they might simply not be on them! Not sure where else to go or what else to try?
            I'm also still not sure where he was born - the 1841 which I think is him I 'think' says Thorley BUT could be Hurley as that's not far away from Bisham where there is a christening record for a John Bland in 1830 mother Rosanna (which is correct as she's on a later census with him). The next census I have him on is with Eliza and it says he's born Abingdon and the next Marcham!
            Is this just a lost cause?
            Thanks all

Comment

he could be born in a different place to baptism, and Marcham is very close to Abingdon, and I assume was tiny, so could have changed to the nearby bigger place.

Not able to offer advice on the census search though.

he would have been on his own in 1851? as children born after?
              Last edited by cbcarolyn; 28-08-21, 22:10.
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Comment

Carolyn, yes I was getting confused with dates and the kids haha! I'll keep searching! Abingdon/Marcham are a long way from Bisham/Hurley so not sure if the baptism is right although mothers name matches with a later census, thanks for replying

Comment

I can see that the Waite children are registered to MMN Waite, were both his wives Eliza?

The first 3 could be any name I guess!
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Comment

This could be Matilda. After she is married, using the name Mathilda Reed Bland, she gives her PoB as Bucklebury, which is in the Bradfield Registration District.

REID, MATILDA (no mmn) GRO Reference: 1857 J Quarter in BRADFIELD Volume 02C Page 305

Comment

I found a lot of the Waite children and then found your tree on Ancestry! - so think you have most of them, have posted as had them, they seem fairly consistent in Henley

good find Teasie, Matilda has her PoB in Bucklebury on most of the census

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tr...94881264/facts

I see that John (junior) pob was Liddington, Wilts and there is this
                      WAITT, JOHN -
                      GRO Reference: 1866 M Quarter in OF HIGHWORTH Volume 05A Page 14
                      So they could have been in Wilts in 1861

I was trying to see if they had places that they often went to, do you know anymore about them, eg did they attend fairs etc
                      WAITE, CATHERINE -
                      GRO Reference: 1872 S Quarter in HENLEY, IN THE COUNTIES OF OXFORD, BERKS, AND BUCK
                      WAITE, MARY ANN -
                      GRO Reference: 1881 S Quarter in HENLEY Volume 03A Page 659
                      ​​​​​​
                      WAITE, OLIVER -
                      GRO Reference: 1868 J Quarter in HENLEY IN THE COUNTIES OF OXFORD BERKS AND BUCKING Volume 03A Page 562
                      WAITE, EDWIN -
                      GRO Reference: 1870 J Quarter in HENLEY, IN THE COUNTIES OF OXFORD, BERKS, AND BUCK Volume 03A Page 572
                      WAITE, ARTHUR -
                      GRO Reference: 1879 J Quarter in HENLEY, IN THE COUNTIES OF OXFORD, BERKS AND BUCKI Volume 03A Page 658
                      WAITE, WILLIAM HENRY -
                      GRO Reference: 1884 J Quarter in HENLEY IN THE COUNTIES OF OXFORD BERKS AND BUCKING Volume 03A Page 727
                      Last edited by cbcarolyn; 31-08-21, 16:31.
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Comment

Just checked Berkshire BMD, and the Matilda REID birth is in the sub-district of Bucklebury, so could be worth a punt.

Comment

Thanks ladies.

'I can see that the Waite children are registered to MMN Waite, were both his wives Eliza?' - I haven't found his 1st wife/mother of his children yet but will look now that I have the name Reid from Teasie.

I have no info. on this part of the family at all - would love to find out more about them but I don't think there is much out there being travellers!

I guess I need to buy Matilda's BC to check and get mother's details! I just need to try and find Patience and Harriet now

Thanks again

Comment

Helpfully for Liddington on the 1861 all the people not in houses are on the last page but not any of my people! Am going to check Bucklebury now but they could be anywhere in between Bucklebury and Liddington I guess!

Comment

I see that the sisters married moring.moren brothers, who seem to have a variety of surnames, and they were in the tents in 1871 in same place. Not really a help, but maybe something there,

I have searched in FMP looking for a Harriet with another person using each of the sisters names, never found any match in 1861.
                              Carolyn
                              Family Tree site

Comment

I also note that Patience children, mainly using the surname Moorhen are reg as MMN in the beginning Bland , where as Matilda I think always uses MMN Reede in various spellings

MOORHEN, FLORA ALICE mmn BLAND
                                GRO Reference: 1877 J Quarter in HENLEY, IN THE COUNTIES OF OXFORD, BERKS AND BUCKI Volume 03A Page 640

MOORHEN, FLORA ANN mmn REEDE
                                GRO Reference: 1878 M Quarter in HENLEY, IN THE COUNTIES OF OXFORD, BERKS AND BUCKI Volume 03A Page 643

then they have Read/Reed in the later ones
                                MOOREN, DOROTHY ELSIE READ
                                GRO Reference: 1891 D Quarter in HENLEY, IN THE COUNTIES OF OXFORD, BERKS AND BUCKI Volume 03A Page 747

MOOREN, ETHEL GERTRUDE READ
                                GRO Reference: 1887 S Quarter in HENLEY IN THE COUNTIES OF OXFORD BERKS AND BUCKING Volume 03A Page 736

MOOREN, BERTIE READ
                                GRO Reference: 1889 J Quarter in HENLEY, IN THE COUNTIES OF OXFORD BERKS AND BUCKIN Volume 03A Page 778

MOOREN, MINNIE AMELIA REED
                                GRO Reference: 1893 S Quarter in HENLEY IN THE COUNTIES OF OXFORD, BERKS AND BUCKIN Volume 03A Page 799

MOOREN, EDITH READ
                                GRO Reference: 1895 J Quarter in HENLEY IN THE COUNTIES OF OXFORD AND BUCKINGHAM Volume 03A Page 807
                                MOOREN, HERBERT READ
                                GRO Reference: 1897 J Quarter in HENLEY Volume 03A Page 800 Occasional Copy: A

MOOREN, ERNEST SIDNEY READ
                                GRO Reference: 1899 D Quarter in HENLEY IN THE COUNTIES OF OXFORD AND BUCKINGHAM Volume 03A Page 852
                                Carolyn
                                Family Tree site

Comment

I wonder whether Reed/Reid/Read is MMN for Matilda/Patience/Harriet and either John and this 1st wife/partner weren't married and she dies/disappears or they are not his children but has taken them on?? I have ordered Matilda's BC in the hope of finding out something!

Tessie

Comment

I have not found the last sister Harriet, have you found her married? Not sure if the Ancestry tree I have found is up to date?
                                    Carolyn
                                    Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                                      I have not found the last sister Harriet, have you found her married? Not sure if the Ancestry tree I have found is up to date?
                                      No I have no info on her birth or anything other than the 1871 - this part of my tree on Ancestry is old and I need to work on it (currently doing a direct line only tree) then remembered that I knew practically nothing about these 3 children because I could never pin point anything down, not only have I learned a lot of things from on here but found other places to search since starting so I will have a good delve about for this particular lot in the next few days hopefully the BC will reveal some info! If you want to try and find Harriet's or Patience's births be my guest

Tessie

Comment

there is obviously a closeness of the moorhen and the blands/waites

children baptised on the same day here:
                                        https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...mp;personid=22 2134807248&hintid=1050963814908&usePUB=tru e&usePUBJs=true&_ga=2.2924083.2036338870 .1 630167054-1606468201.1602834035&pId=910568
                                        oliver Waite and Sarah Jane Moren

a Henley court case here

Carolyn
                                        Family Tree site

Comment

Working...
                                        X