Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Australian convict (VDL) advice James Ashwell

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
    Had you perhaps seen this death that is suggest which is linked to that second ticket of leave and possibly rejected it because of the birth year and age? -
    https://www.findmypast.co.uk/transcr...W/D/0006431116
    i see it now, thank you, not sure i like it for him seems way out and too young, he must have looked quite old if anyone was guessing Just no way of telling
    Carolyn

Researching:Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon
    Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Plant, Skinner - Lincs ....all moved to London
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

I have just trawled the GRO deaths and if he came back to England the only two that are no more that two years out are these -
    ASHWELL, JAMES 67 GRO Reference: 1864 S Quarter in BIGGLESWADE Volume 03B Page 214

ASHWELL, JAMES 85 GRO Reference: 1879 J Quarter in WOODBRIDGE Volume 04A Page 451
    Chrissie

i have not traced the other one on here
    Screenshot 2019-10-14 at 10.17.32.png

so he could be one of them, although just been searching on fmp and can't find records of him arriving, so maybe he never survived.
    Carolyn

I have just trawled the GRO deaths and if he came back to England the only two that are no more that two years out are these -
    ASHWELL, JAMES 67 GRO Reference: 1864 S Quarter in BIGGLESWADE Volume 03B Page 214

ASHWELL, JAMES 85 GRO Reference: 1879 J Quarter in WOODBRIDGE Volume 04A Page 451
    thanks chrissie, i will have to see if they appear in census previously to give clues. I will have to read up on subject, do they ever return home? wondering if they can afford the ticket.
    Carolyn

Quote Originally Posted by cbcarolyn View Post
    the 1832 ties up with the first link from Elaine, i wish they put an age pretty sure i found another with same name sometime ago, need a way to add people to a tree that are not right!
    You can do that Carolyn 2 ways.
    1)Add a fictious person to anyone in your tree: save then go to that person's profile page - edit- edit relationships to unlink them.
    2)Or if you have a document - save it to "someone in your tree" and + add this as a new person

New person.JPG

I have several 'floaters' but always add a * after the first name, not the surname, to find it easier later.
    Kat

Some of my favourite genealogy treasures are what my ancestors tried to hide!

I think the first refers to one in Moggerhanger, with wife Elizabeth and daughter Rachel, although at quick glance can't find 1861 census, but have others and a burial transcription that ties in with dates.

There is a James Ashwell living in Suffolk that ties in with his records...the death age being mistranscribed in Ancestry which fooled me initially!
    Carolyn

Quote Originally Posted by Katarzyna View Post
    You can do that Carolyn 2 ways.
    1)Add a fictious person to anyone in your tree: save then go to that person's profile page - edit- edit relationships to unlink them.
    2)Or if you have a document - save it to "someone in your tree" and + add this as a new person

New person.JPG

I have several 'floaters' but always add a * after the first name, not the surname, to find it easier later.
    I do have test trees like that, but never thought about including it in my own tree - good idea. could have my own set of codes like "maybe mine but no link found" and "definitely not mine"
    Carolyn

Not saying it didn't happen, but the conditional part of a lifer's pardon was that he did not return to this country but he could go anywhere else in the world. His pardon should show this as it was a standard document with just names & dates written in.
    Glen
    HAILEY, PATEMAN, HOLT, KIRBY, WILSHERE, HOWARD, CARTER, LATCHFORD, BACON, MADDOCK, HIDE, BENNETT, WELLS, GRUNDON, WRIGHT, WA(O)RMAN, IZ(Z)ARD, ROBINS, BARKER - Herts
    PATEMAN, KIRBY, LATCHFORD, MADDOCK, GRUNDON, WALKER(MOODY), BALDOCK, ARNOLD- Beds
    CRICKMORE, DOWNING, HAGGAR, MOYSE, MAYHEW, BRANSON, JAMES, BULL, PITTOCK, - Suffolk
    CANNELL, GORBEL, GOWING/EN, SALLOW, JOHNSON -Norfolk HAYES - Co.Offaly ROI

that is good to know, probably not worth searching in UK then. But could be anywhere!
    Carolyn