No announcement yet.

Does anyone have an interest in Nazi Germany? Recommendations for research help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone have an interest in Nazi Germany? Recommendations for research help

Just that really. I am researching my grandfather, who was German. No one alive - that I have managed to find - has any knowledge of him. I know his name, date and place of birth. I have his marriage details and have found out about his family. I have even traced the family of one of his sister's, whose daughter had emigrated to the US after marrying a US serviceman. Sadly I found them too late and she had already died and, while her children knew of a couple of siblings, they hadn't heard of him. He died in late 1944/ early 1945 but the German authorities have no information on what happened to him. A large number of documents were destroyed - either from bombing or by human hand - during the war.

Anyway, I have also obtained through the Deutsches Rotes Kreuz (German Red Cross) his NSDAP (Nazi Party) details from 1933 and 1939. I have a photo which shows very little of his uniform, but it does have blank lapel badges, which I believe mean he was most probably SS or SD. Now clearly, this now brings me to a delicate area to research. I want to know more about him, specifically if there is anywhere else I can try for information. I see there are a number of online forums, with experts in the SD/SS and uniforms, etc. But I get a bit of an uneasy feeling visiting them as some of them seem very … ardent.

So, does anyone have any recommendations on where I could get more information or recommendations? Or know of any good forums to visit?

Any advice very gratefully received.
    :D Charney Jo

There's a Europe section on rootschat

Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
    http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Have you thought of trying the Anglo German Society?

The Anglo-German Family History Society welcomes all those who are interested in researching the genealogy or family history of people from the German-speaking parts of Europe who have emigrated over the centuries and settled in England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland (North and South), and the neighbouring islands.

Home [www.agfhs.org]

www.agfhs.org/

Janet

Comment

Have you thought of asking a genealogist local to where your grandfather lived; about availability of records?

Comment

Thanks. All good suggestions. I did try Rootschat years ago, before I found out some more concrete information. Maybe I should try again now that I have more information?

The problem is, it's a tricky area. There is always a lot of adverse discussion as soon as you mention that a family member was in the SS or SD. Obviously. Most people (who don't have such relatives) think you should just let the past lie. And I do get that. But this is my grandad and I want to know what he did. I would want to know how any of my ancestors were involved. I am fully aware of the politics of the 1930s. I know exactly where he lived and the social issues surrounding where he grew up which would have shaped his thought process. He wasn't an officer though, so he's not on the readily available lists.

Kylejustin, maybe that is the way to go but sadly I can't afford it at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Charney Jo View Post
            Thanks. All good suggestions. I did try Rootschat years ago, before I found out some more concrete information. Maybe I should try again now that I have more information?

The problem is, it's a tricky area. There is always a lot of adverse discussion as soon as you mention that a family member was in the SS or SD. Obviously. Most people (who don't have such relatives) think you should just let the past lie. And I do get that. But this is my grandad and I want to know what he did. I would want to know how any of my ancestors were involved. I am fully aware of the politics of the 1930s. I know exactly where he lived and the social issues surrounding where he grew up which would have shaped his thought process. He wasn't an officer though, so he's not on the readily available lists.

Kylejustin, maybe that is the way to go but sadly I can't afford it at the moment.
            There is always a problem with these sorts of issues and you are not alone. On the other side of your query I had a Great Uncle who die in mysterious circumstances in Italy during W War 2 under Mussolini but though the name is mentioned in a massacre that took place in the area where he was living I have found a wall of Silence as to whether that person was my relative or not. I did join the Anglo Italian Society though that did not help but I only joined for a year and wondered if I should have persevered so maybe trying the Anglo German Society for a year might help .

Janet

Comment

Thanks Janet. That's not a bad idea, even just because it'll put me in touch with people with potentially similar issues. I have looked at a number of forums and the thought of posting my grandfather's details leaves me a bit cold.

Comment

Sometimes when I'm trying to figure out what resources are available for an area or a topic, I will search FamilySearch's catalog. Even if you can't get to its library, it may give you an idea of what to look for. Here it is for Germany. Note that there are topics that pertain to WWII, and there are some CivReg records

Note that you can drill down to more specific geographic areas.

You may also search by keyword.

Good luck.

Comment

I've just seen this reply. Thank you, PhotoFamily. I've not thought to search like this on FS.

Comment

hello Charney. ...yes its true that a lot of records concerning ss officers etc were. deliberately destroyed as the war was ending.

what part of Germany are you looking at and what do you want to know....you can. probably find the birth records etc.

my computer keeps changing your name to charley

Comment

Thanks for the reply Grey. He was from Berlin.

I have probably everything I can have about him - I have his birth record from Ancestry, I know where he lived (with his parents I’m guessing as he doesn’t appear alone on the Berlin Addresss books until after his father’s death in 1939), I have his marriage record from 1939 (church) and 1940 (state) and no one seems to have a record of his death, some time during the war. Not uncommon, sadly.

I was hoping that as I have his NSDAP registration number, there might be more places to check to see about his war life. I know, for example that his address on the 1933 registration was given as an SA Heim (barrack like places set-up as social help / to encourage the men to bond), but I have never found anything listed about the one in Kulmbacher Strasse. It’s not even listed on the map of SA Heim at the Topography of Terror museum, in Berlin.

Comment

I use a genealogist based in berlin for my east german heritage. I can pm you his email address? Have a chat with him about what you have and he can tell you what records may exist. Even if you decide against using him, you may get a new avenue.

Comment

That would be great. Thanks so much!

Comment

Have you tried the Bundesarchiv ?

https://www.bundesarchiv.de/EN/Conte...ezogen-en.html

I enquired about by grandmother's cousin and received some detailed and interesting information about his military career, but he was an officer in the Luftwaffe and records were probably more plentiful.
                            They also provided very basic details of where his brother was killed in action and where he was buried.
                            It amused me that the address of the Deutsche Dienststelle, who stored the archives and sent the reply at the time (about 10 years ago), is Eichborndam 179 in Berlin, named after my gt.gt.gt gf Ludwig Eichborn (and the gt gf of the cousins I was enquiring about).
                            Yorkshire names: Brown, Weighell, Hudson, Hartley, Womersley, Laycock, Maude, Atkinson, Whittaker, Hammond, Hutton, Brook, Murgatroyd, Wright, Topham
                            Warwickshire name: Hart
                            German names: Peltz, Eichborn

Comment

Working...
                            X