Help with handwriting please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JLB View Post
    Well I thought it was worth a try. Just dont' know how many months I'll have to wait for it

Jan
    the newer requests seem to be turning up, so you might be OK.
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Oh, definitely worth a try, you never know what information a will can give you.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by AntonyM View Post
        He's on the new index as HARL , but with a blank for the maiden name. Be interesting to hear what it reveals.

It may be that the registrar didn't follow the convention and used a different wording instead of "formerly", and so the transcribers didn't record a maiden name. I have seen a district where for a period all the mothers are shown as "x late y" and so all have a blank as maiden name on the new index.
        The maiden name is given as Hart late Hart. Says Charlotte and not Caroline but that's a different issue! She's Caroline on every census and the baptisms.

So, as I thought, we mustn't assume that the child is always illegitimate if the maiden name is blank.
        Caroline
        Caroline's Family History Pages
        Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by teasie View Post
          Dorothy May might actually be a better candidate, as she was born 1915 and the banns were called 1914 - perhaps she was the reason for the wedding that never was. Her DoB seems to be 13 Feb 1915.
          Well I finally got the will of Samuel Spooner Mary ann's brother and it does indeed name Dorothy May as her daughter. I believe Dorothy May Collins died in 2000.
          I can only find two possible children from her marriage to Frederick Robert J Collins so I'm now debating which certs to get.

Comment

Great news that the mystery has been solved, and a good spot by Carolyn with the birth.

It might be interesting to see who Dorothy named as her father at marriage, but it might be asking too much that she confirmed it was George.

Comment

Now I’m really confused. That cert is the birth of a boy

Comment

GL, it is indeed, but we are now talking about a will, not a birth certificate.

OC

Comment

I have ordered Dorothy May's birth and marriage certs to see if they give me any more info, as of course the will still doesn't prove that she's George's child so we will see.

Comment

Oh, ‘eco! LOL Am just not with it today.

Comment

Originally posted by teasie View Post
                      Great news that the mystery has been solved, and a good spot by Carolyn with the birth.

It might be interesting to see who Dorothy named as her father at marriage, but it might be asking too much that she confirmed it was George.
                      Pleased that the will gave something useful, I agree that I would get Dorothy's cert and see if father on there, it is likely if the army pension was paid on the strength of it?

The children of Dorothy is not that contentious, so unless you like to have all the certs I wouldn't bother.
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

I very much doubt that the father will be named as the birth is registered only under the surname Spooner, with the mmn also Spooner. In order for a father to be named - if he is not married to the mother - then he must be present at the registration.

It may be that she obtained some form of maintenance from him, which may be recorded in local court records.

Comment

Well,there is definitely no father named on the birth cert. I had wondered if any notes might have been added in order for Mary Ann to prove paternity to the Army.
                          No father listed on Dorothy May's marriage cert either, but then she may just not have known.
                          I have looked in the papers on FMP But couldn't find anything so how could she have convinced the Army that George was the father?

Comment

Maintenance orders were not routinely in the newspapers, so I would suggest you contact the records office to see if they can suggest which court may have had jurisdiction and whether any records are available.

Comment

I have a chap who was sued? by a lady for Breach of Promise which was reported in the newspapers although there isn't much for Norfolk papers around this period yet.

Comment

She may not have convinced the army, he may have simply owned up when questioned. Not every nztural father was a heartless bounder, lol and he did save her from the humiliation of goi g to court for maintenance. Maintenance orders were ALWAYS published in my small town.

OC

Comment

You don't need any more proof as such? now that you have proved that she is her child.

like OC says he could have just said that he was the father.
                                  Carolyn
                                  Family Tree site

Comment

Thanks for the replies.
                                    OC I'd like to think that he wasn't a heartless bounder but at least she got a pension. I still can't help wondering if my Nan ever knew anything about it all.

Comment

Working...
                                    X