Thread: 1939 Register - Ancestry

1939 Register - Ancestry

I have just seen the same page, one with many redactions, and another with very few. Interestingly they were apart in the search, and the one with very few was much further down the page. Wasn't the one for me anyway, but thought it was interesting, and I could have potentially missed the better one, maybe one to watch for.
    Carolyn

Researching:Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon
    Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Plant, Skinner - Lincs ....all moved to London
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

I had to read that twice. Will remember to scroll up/down a bit when I don't get a hit. Thanks Carolyn

Vera

ooh maybe didn't explain too well - I have now found both images - and am totally confused as some address on both - but clearly different pages! I guess I didn't look that closely in the end as wasn't my Ethel!
    https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...793.1535224975

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...793.1535224975
    Last edited by cbcarolyn; 20-09-19 at 21:09.
    Carolyn

Your explanation is fine Carolyn. Wonder why they did that. Maybe those that entered the info thought they
    had missed out the street no and they hadn't and then FMP only worked on one entry. Or maybe not??

Vera
    Last edited by vera2013; 20-09-19 at 21:56.

I have had several of these too. This is the explanation from National Archives:

8. What does it mean when an entry is crossed out and marked ‘See page…?’

These refer to ‘continuation entries’ where the line in the ‘postings’ column against a person’s name was full up, and a new line had to be created for any new entries.
    The new line was added at the back of the enumeration book or sometimes at the back of the next book in large enumeration districts that comprised two or more books. You can browse to the page containing the continuation entry if it is in the same book; if it is in the next book you can use the browse function described in section 5.2 to go there, and then browse to the right page. However, this is very unlikely to contain any additional information.

9.4 The ‘postings’ column

Each entry in the Register extended across a double page spread. However, the accessioned digital record does not include the ‘postings’ column on the right hand page which contains various codes used for National Registration and National Health Service purposes. The National Archives does not have access to this column and the information it contains.
    Kat

My avatar is my Grandmother - Ida Lock 1897-1988

is the word remnant something to do with it I wonder. I will certainly check out a few more entries from now on if the first 1939 entry is very 'redacted' might get lucky on another! thanks for the info.

I had only come across them as they were not mine and dismissed first and looked at second and realised it was same address 11 St Johns.

I then realised as I had refreshed the search I was back to really wide birth dates - why does ancestry start so wide grrr, 10 years as default or even 5 would be better or maybe that is me.
    Carolyn

It also says 'see page 18' and I notice that the other page is 19 !
    Chrissie

oh yes, and the p19 is not really the interesting one as more black than page, so can't see neighbours/lodgers etc.
    Carolyn