Anyone an Essex history expert?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone an Essex history expert?

A great aunt of mine moved to Wickford in Essex between the wars. It was a plot of land that we think they erected a wooden home on. It had no running water, but think there was a well, not sure about electricity.

My parents always thought that it was something to do with being offered the land after WW1, but after chatting today it is clear that they didn't move there until the late 20s or even 30s. First record I have found is 1939 register.

It was Cranfield Park Road, I remember visiting in the 70s when they still had no running water!

Would love to know about the history of the site and who/why people moved there.

have found this site:

Wickford Community Archive: A developing collection of memories, photographs, stories and comments, forming the community history of Wickford in Essex, UK. We include Runwell, Battlesbridge, Shotgate, Rawreth, North Benfleet, Crays Hill, Downham and the Ramsdens

but can't find anything on there specifically.
    Last edited by cbcarolyn; 17-09-19, 23:51.
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

I haven't read to the bottom Carolyn and I don't know whether there is anything on here that may help, but there are several mentions of Cranfield Park Road and peoples memories of it. I wondered if you went on and asked if there might be anyone who could remember anything for you?

Oops - sorry - just realised that it's the same site that you mentioned, just a different page.
    Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 18-09-19, 08:58.
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

I will contact them and see if they can help. Oddly I couldn't see how to just post last night.

Am at parents for a few days catching up on all the shopping for them and we were chatting about it. It is also clear they didn't got there until the late 30s, as I they are still in Holloway on the elec reg, so nothing to do with ww1 at all!
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Could it have been a refuge/holiday home like the Carbeth Huts? http://www.carbethhutters.co.uk/

Comment

I kind of thought it was something like that, my Mum would have only been young teenager when they moved and she can't remember! She can remember them in Holloway road running a bicycle shop.

Will have a proper look later.
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Comment

We have plotlands here in Lincolnshire so searched for the Essex ones and came up with the same site as you but this page:

..........we lived in Newlands Road, off Cranfield Park Rd, and as a child I remember going through the Wick with my mum to shop in the village and the Top Shop as it was called was at the beginning of the Wick. They were mostly shacks in the Wick at the time, but wonderful fruit trees, flowers, people of all sorts lived on the plotlands. My family still live on the farm today and now has an array of grandchildren there, I moved away only 15 years ago and live in Benfleet but great memories of how it used to be.
            https://www.wickfordhistory.org.uk/c...was_built_upon

and this page:
            https://www.wickfordhistory.org.uk/c...ford-plotlands

Re housing and specifically. plotlands:

http://www.historyandpolicy.org/poli...ory-of-housing
            Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

I am literally looking at the site now, and hadn't spotted the second link you had posted, thank you - that makes sense.

I can only assume he bought the plot much early then and was working on it at weekends, and in 1939 they all moved to the plot. Or maybe he was only there for a few months. Mum lived in Holloway Road and they moved out due to bomb damage, so maybe they did too. Will ask Mum if she remembers!

I have been looking at newspaper archives and have a couple to read on my next library visit.

Never knew 'plotlands' was a thing, really enjoying all this learning
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Comment

Working...
              X