Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Why can't I find my Great Uncle

Just in the interests of pedantry, lol, post #25, the witness surname is surely Langridge?

OC

Quote Originally Posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
    Just in the interests of pedantry, lol, post #25, the witness surname is surely Langridge?

OC
    Possibly, but I typed what I see & there is no g in the middle.

Lovindge..JPG

Teasie, yes looks like Loviridge, I agree! Coincidence though.

OC

Thanks again for all the excellent research and information.

I have read all the threads and tracked down on the documents which apart from those relating to the Maria Carter all relate to my Great Uncle Joseph

The has been a stark reminder that when faced with a brick wall, to revisit the various genealogy sources and more importantly Newspapers.

Ironically I have solved other brick walls using Newspaper Archives.

I have made contact with the owner of the Ancestry Tree with Joseph Beaver in Tyldesley, Lancashire. The Joseph does relate to my Great Uncle.

Regards
    A very grateful Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeaverAJ View Post
    Thanks again for all the excellent research and information.

I have read all the threads and tracked down on the documents which apart from those relating to the Maria Carter all relate to my Great Uncle Joseph

The has been a stark reminder that when faced with a brick wall, to revisit the various genealogy sources and more importantly Newspapers.

Ironically I have solved other brick walls using Newspaper Archives.

I have made contact with the owner of the Ancestry Tree with Joseph Beaver in Tyldesley, Lancashire. The Joseph does relate to my Great Uncle.

Regards
    A very grateful Forum Member
    that is interesting that the other Joseph is a relation too, so that is a whole new branch.

Did you manage to link James Langridge visitor?
    or find the marriage of William Beaver and Ellen Matilda Langridge or any more on her?
    Carolyn

Researching:Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon
    Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Plant, Skinner - Lincs ....all moved to London
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Just posting this as a search on another thread for travellers in the Berkshire area brought up two surnames which also feature here.

The 1916 marriage of Elbert Edward had witnesses named Smith and Lovindge/Loviridge or similar:

The recent thread by tessie31082 entitled 'More help please' was about another family of travellers in the Berkshire area, and tracking them brought me to a newspaper article which mentioned three families living in tents, including Henry Smith & his 'wife' Reservoir Mooring, and Henry Loveridge & his 'wife' Susan Moorend.

I don't think its the same people, but possibly from the same wider traveller families.

Just completed updating my Beaver Family Tree with all the new information. This included revisiting various family history/newspaper websites. The searches included various name permutations.

Henry William Beaver
    Still no luck finding either a marriage or death record. There could be a Parish Record for a marriage. Keeping looking for the appropriate indexes.
    Also looking to see if he went abroad, eg a few Stone Masons went to the Channel Islands to construct breakwaters.

Eleanor Matilda Langridge
    Found a Hampshire Telegraph article which lists her as a Fruit Picker, Alton, Hampshire.
    1939 Register – Ellen Matilda transcribe as Ellanda, Hawker living in Sheffield – Dob 20 June 1867.
    I thought initially Langridge was probably her married name. Considering she was 19 when she gave birth to her first son William, I think Langridge is more likely to be her birth name.
    Redoubling my effort to understand and research the Traveller Families.

Joseph Beaver
    Found baptism and DoB from 1939 Register.
    Marriage to Florence Dean & Georgina Doreen Lena White
    Residence from 1936 Electoral Role in Beckford, Gloucestershire
    Death 1962 Cheltenham
    Found WW1 Military Records
    Found him mention in 5 Newspaper Articles. One of which has him living at Hastings in 1906. Following this up by trying to locate the Court Records.

Henry James Beaver
    There is also a Henry Joseph Beaver (1899-1955) of Kensington with parents Silas John & Sarah Jane
    Found a newspaper article in Hampshire Telegraph as a Fruit Picker / Gypsy of no fixed abode.
    According to the article Henry was also married. I have met my rather eccentric Uncle Harry as he was called, on a number of occasions with not the slightest inkling that he had been married.
    I have a medal card but no records for Albert J Beaver The Queens Regiment.

Albert Edward Beaver
    Registered as Edward Albert probably because he was born in the Hastings Union Workshouse (still standings a residential flats).
    Could be Eleanor said she was a widow to make in easier to get into the Workhouse for the birth.
    Eleanor went into the workhouse on the 20th, gave birth 21st and left 2 days later.
    I have no idea why Albert went to Sheffield, where he joined the Army Veterinary Corp (like his brother Joseph) and married Alice Clearey (of Irish ancestry).

Through Ancestry Tree, I am know in email contact with a “Cousin” to exchange research, photos etc.

As my brick wall is cracking, still no giving up hope of find the missing records.

what a great update, glad you broke a lot of the brick wall. Newspapers seem to be giving you a lot.
    Carolyn

Researching:Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon
    Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Plant, Skinner - Lincs ....all moved to London
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

I'm still intrigued by Henry James Beavers marriage, which his mother didn't approve of. I can only see two Henry J Beaver's marrying around what I assume to be the right time.

One married Rosina Parsons in 1922, and he was Henry Joseph, son of Silas.

This leaves the 1923 marriage of Henry J Beaver to Wythen Johnson, which was at Salford (Register office or Registrar attended).

With a forename like that you'd think she'd be easy to find, but I can only see a few references to her:
    JOHNSON, WYTHAN mmn PARKER GRO Reference: 1905 J Quarter in ST ALBANS Volume 03A Page 80

Then 1928-1929 she is at 7 Lowndes Buildings, Farnham, Surrey with Henry, and in 1930 they are at No. 6

So she was born in Hertfordshire, married in Lancashire, and 'settled' in Surrey - another traveller?

The combination of Johnson/Parker births means there are lots to chose from, but this one in the same County was interesting:
    JOHNSON, CUIDERELLA mmn PARKER GRO Reference: 1904 M Quarter in HITCHIN Volume 03A Page 759
    I think she died Q4 the same year in Barnet, Middlesex

It may be a coincidence, but there is also this birth in Alton, Q4 1924:
    Joseph W Beaver mmn Johnson

The article about Henry James stealing from his mother was July 1924, and she lived in Alton.

Added: It looks like the baby died:
    BEAVER, JOSEPH WILLIAM aged 0 GRO Reference: 1924 D Quarter in ALTON Volume 02C Page 183
    Last edited by teasie; 02-10-19 at 21:40. Reason: spelling!