Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
    Anne

Yes, I looked at that and considered it, it is a definite possibility, especially as I cannot see a birth of an Ellen Matilda Langridge.

EDIT - but no, she was Annie Hodgson, not Ellen Matilda.
    Ah, boo, didn't have time to follow through!
    Anne

Comment

on Ancestry in a tree
      Brother of Joseph
      Edward Albert Beaver 1896 Hastings mother Ellen Langridge

Comment

coincidently unless I am barking up the wrong tree??? 1901 Breeds Cottages, 4, Ore, Hastings, Sussex, England

Joseph Merricks Head Married Male 46 1855 Quarry Man Stone Lewes, Sussex, England
        Emily Merricks Wife Married Female 37 1864 - Hastings, Sussex, England
        Joseph Merricks Son Single Male 21 1880 Quarry Man Stone Lewes, Sussex, England
        Daisey - Daughter Single Female 15 1886 - Hellingly, Sussex, England
        Burt Son Single Male 7 1894 - Hellingly, Sussex, England???? Edward Albert
        George - Son Single Male 6 1895 - Portsmouth, Hampshire, England
        Tom - Son Single Male 1 1900 - Hastings, Sussex, England

think I need a lie down

Comment

I can't find a Ellen Matilda Langridge in Eastbourne, was wondering if her first name was correct. Although in census and baptism as Ellen

I can find an Edith Mary Weller and an Emily.

family seem to be missing everywhere!
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
          Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

[corrected!] Edward Albert appears to become Albert Edward, and his military papers (under 496540) say he was born Hastings, Kent (!)

There is a marriage at Pitsmoor, Sheffield 12 Dec 1916
            Albert Edward Beaver 21 Bachelor Miller 9 Westow Place. Father William Beaver (deceased) Mason
            Alice Clearey 23 same address. Father James, a miner
            Wits: G Smith & [?] Lovindge (?)
            Last edited by teasie; 15-09-19, 23:59. Reason: correction

Comment

Albert and Henry are both in Yorkshire in 1939 register, maybe whole family went there.

Henry J Beaver
              Marital Status Single
              Birth Date 5 Nov 1893
              Residence Year 1939
              Residence Place Sheffield, Yorkshire (West Riding), England
              Occupation Wire worker
              Schedule Number 1
              Sub Schedule Number 210
              Enumeration District KIHZ
              Registration district Sheffield 510/2
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

so it looks like he was Henry Joseph ?? there is something odd about this lot, dont think they ever married??? but then it is late

Comment

no idea why I am still up....there are a lot of beavers in Yorkshire, so maybe completely wrong anyway!

I wonder if they never married, but and then did wonder if maybe he wasn't even a Beaver
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Comment

what about
                    Langridge, William Joseph Mother Dean
                    GRO Reference: 1891 S Quarter in BRIGHTON Volume 02B Page 215

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                      so it looks like he was Henry Joseph ?? there is something odd about this lot, dont think they ever married??? but then it is late
                      No, he was Henry James, as per my earlier post. He died 1973, Sheffield

Also see post #25 for Edward Albert / Albert Edward's marriage
                      Last edited by teasie; 16-09-19, 01:59.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                        what about
                        Langridge, William Joseph Mother Dean
                        GRO Reference: 1891 S Quarter in BRIGHTON Volume 02B Page 215
                        He was baptised in 1889, per post #12.

Ive checked all of the births for the RDs that would cover Haslemere & Linchmere, and can't find anything even remotely similar.

Comment

I've just had a look in the Sussex baptisms and there is a note by the baptism that says they are vagrants, they were living on Hammer Common. (SFHG)
                          Caroline
                          Caroline's Family History Pages
                          Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post
                            I've just had a look in the Sussex baptisms and there is a note by the baptism that says they are vagrants, they were living on Hammer Common. (SFHG)
                            Just a thought - I looked at the 1891 census and although it looks like Eastbourne, given that they've mis-spelled Haslemere, I wonder if Ellen was born in Easebourne (near Midhurst)?
                            Caroline
                            Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by teasie View Post
                              No, he was Henry James, as per my earlier post. He died 1973, Sheffield

Also see post #25 for Edward Albert / Albert Edward's marriage
                              I was referring to Josephs parents marriage, I don't think it has been found.
                              Carolyn
                              Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post
                                no date of birth?

I assume if living like that you can still avoid birth registration
                                Carolyn
                                Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                                  no date of birth?
                                  I assume if living like that you can still avoid birth registration
                                  No DOB - I guess a travelling mason/labourer could miss it out quite easily.
                                  Caroline

Comment

Just found on GRO:

BEAVER, WILLIAM mmn LANGDRIDGE
                                    GRO Reference: 1886 S Quarter in PETERSFIELD Volume 02C Page 147

Death registered 1887 in Westhampnett (R)which covers a wide area of Sussex near Chichester.
                                    Caroline

Comment

I was wondering why there wasn't a William , so all other children registered, but maybe in a strange place didn't bother.
                                      Carolyn
                                      Family Tree site

Comment

There's an interesting article in the Hampshire Telegraph 18 July 1924, bearing in mind that Henry became Henry James

Henry James Beaver, gipsy, of no fixed abode, was charged with stealing two silver teapots [etc etc] the property of Ellen Beaver at Titchfield on June 26. The prosecutrix stated that she was a widow now resident at Alton. The accused was her son, and she valued the property at £7s 10d.

The article goes on to say that the trouble had started because he married a girl who was not his mother's choice. His mother got her living as a fruit picker. Unfortunately there are no ages mentioned.

Comment

I think the father was actually born Henry William Beaver, son of Silas & Lavinia. The family is in Horsham in 1881, although William's PoB is given as Swindon

His birth registration has been wrongly recorded at the GRO, but this is it:
                                          BEAVEN, HENRY WILLIAM mmn WILKINS GRO Reference: 1862 M Quarter in CLIFTON Volume 06A Page 151

And one of his siblings, just to confirm the mmn
                                          BEAVER, SILAS JOHN mmn WILKINS GRO Reference: 1870 S Quarter in LAMBETH Volume 01D Page 421

Comment

Working...
                                          X