Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burial for Susannah Beagley

Hello,

Susannah died in Kennington, South London, on the 20th of October 1847. She was 47. I haven’t found a burial anywhere for her. The surname is often misrecorded. I’ve already searched FindMyPast and DeceasedOnline. Can anyone help find a burial?

I’d appreciate any help!

Adam

By 1847 there was a very real shortage of burial places in the London area, leading to the formation of the London Necropolis Company in 1849 and the closure of many London burial places by 1851. So, there would have been a burial crisis at the time of Susannah's death and she could well have been buried out of her local area.
    Have you looked to see what burial places were available for Kennington residents at that time and checked all those for starters?
    Was she married, widowed? Could have been buried in the same place as another family member - have you found burial records for any of her relatives?

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I did think it would be part of the transition from church burials to cemeteries! Her husband Samuel was buried at Victoria Park Cemetery in Hackney in 1864. I don’t know what became of her family (she hailed from Herefordshire), and her children ended up all over London. I’ve checked burials in the Lambeth area, but they appear to not be online, and only available for viewing or to request viewing for a fee.

Comment

Have you tried putting in her name and year of burial, with no place specified?????
        My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Yep, there’s nothing on FMP, nothing on FamilySearch or FreeREG. I don’t know where else to look.

Comment

Do you know where she was living at the time of her death (street name)? The closest I can find is a Susan Bagley aged 47 of Whitfield Street, buried at St Leonard, Shoreditch, but the burial date doesn't fit as its 29 Dec 1847
            Last edited by teasie; 13-09-19, 02:15.

Comment

I’ve seen that one before too! It would’ve been two months after the death though. She was living at 11 Cavendish Terrace.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamMcGregor View Post
                I’ve seen that one before too! It would’ve been two months after the death though. She was living at 11 Cavendish Terrace.
                Have you ordered the death certificate for this one? Just to rule out the possibility that there was a reason her body was kept so long before burial eg. tragic accident or suspicious death etc. The cheaper pdf version would suffice.

Comment

I’ve got the certificate for mine, but for the burial there’s no other death registration.

Comment

Is it possible the 'mystery' December burial record could be an error and should be October? In view of the apparent lack of death registration. Even so, 9 days was quite a long time in those days, if it should say 31 Oct.
                    Anne

Comment

I don’t know exactly where this record is, so I’ve never been able to view the actual entry. But yes, it’s possible.
                      Last edited by AdamMcGregor; 13-09-19, 12:50.

Comment

And also, she died in South Lambeth, but the registration district was Kennington.

Comment

Just been trying to pinpoint exactly where she was living, in the hope it might give some logic to which church was nearest. I think it was somewhre in this map:

It doesn't seem to be in existence now, and can't find it, found this reference https://discovery.nationalarchives.g...c-58f4f8b1d0f6 it states South Clapham Common.

Lambeth was part of Surrey in that time
                          Carolyn
                          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                          Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                            By 1847 there was a very real shortage of burial places in the London area, leading to the formation of the London Necropolis Company in 1849 and the closure of many London burial places by 1851. So, there would have been a burial crisis at the time of Susannah's death and she could well have been buried out of her local area.
                            Have you looked to see what burial places were available for Kennington residents at that time and checked all those for starters?
                            Was she married, widowed? Could have been buried in the same place as another family member - have you found burial records for any of her relatives?

Jay
                            How interesting - always learning on here, how would you find the available places? Would it be county led? Or more Church led?
                            Carolyn
                            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                            Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Possibly West Norwood Cemetery under Lambeth. They came from far and wide to this new cemetery opened if I remember 1838. Would cover the Kennington area. Burials expected to go online with Deceased Online in the future. Pay to search of course as per.

They do have a database of reused grave records. This was created following a Consistory Court judgement

Vera

Comment

I’ve searched DeceasedOnline already and had no luck :(

I’ll check the link you provide vera2013

Comment

Originally posted by AdamMcGregor View Post
                                  I don’t know exactly where this record is, so I’ve never been able to view the actual entry. But yes, it’s possible.
                                  Here you go - image attached. It's definitely December, I checked the surrounding ones to be sure.

Bagley.JPG

Comment

Can’t be her then :( thanks for looking.

Comment

No, cant be. The burial is transcribed as Bagley but could equally be Bayley, which would match this death:
                                      BAYLEY, SUSAN aged 47 GRO Reference: 1847 D Quarter in THE SHOREDITCH DISTRICT Volume 02 Page 485

Comment

I wonder if this is the answer, it refers to St Mark's, Kennington, Lambeth. I've checked Ancestry and they only have 1826-1833:

St Mark's Church was consecrated on 30 June 1824. It was badly damaged by bombing in 1940 and some of the Parish Registers were destroyed including the Burial Register 1825 to 1847, though Bishop's Transcripts survive for part of this period. The church was restored and reopened in 1960. The churchyard has been levelled and laid to lawn, the remaining gravestones being lined up along the boundary railings.

Comment

Working...
                                        X