No announcement yet.

Burial for Susannah Beagley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw that too, but it doesn’t say which parts survive in the Bishop’s Transcripts. And South Lambeth (where Susannah died) is a little bit away from Kennington too.

Comment

These might help with BTs

The official archive of the UK government. Our vision is to lead and transform information management, guarantee the survival of today's information for tomorrow and bring history to life for everyone.

Guide to Kennington St Mark, Surrey ancestry, family history, and genealogy. Parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
      Last edited by GallowayLass; 13-09-19, 22:54.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamMcGregor View Post
        I saw that too, but it doesn’t say which parts survive in the Bishop’s Transcripts. And South Lambeth (where Susannah died) is a little bit away from Kennington too.
        Using the 1851 description of enumeration district & confirming via old maps, Cavendish Terrace would have been roughly where the Cavendish Arms is now, just above Viceroy Road. Its about a mile from St Mark's, Kennington.

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
          How interesting - always learning on here, how would you find the available places? Would it be county led? Or more Church led?
          Carolyn, the London Necropolis Company opened a site at Brookwood, near Woking, and built a special railway line to transport coffins and mourners from London to the cemetery. At one time Brookwood was the largest cemetery in the world. It is privately owned and is still in operation - Dodi El Fayed was buried there immediately after his death, but later his remains were moved to the family estate. It's a huge place, on either side of a main road, with sections for different denominations and has a very large war-graves section. Brookwood station is still in use, but no longer for funeral trains, lol. I used to go and visit a friend who lived in one of the nearby villages and I met the local historian in the village pub and he told me all about the LNC, the reason for the railway line and the cemetery. One of the cemetery work force was also a pub regular, and as he knew I was interested in genealogy, he recommended a trip to look around! A very interesting place for those of us who are happy to read gravestones and to mingle amongst those who went before!

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
            Carolyn, the London Necropolis Company opened a site at Brookwood, near Woking, and built a special railway line to transport coffins and mourners from London to the cemetery. At one time Brookwood was the largest cemetery in the world. It is privately owned and is still in operation - Dodi El Fayed was buried there immediately after his death, but later his remains were moved to the family estate. It's a huge place, on either side of a main road, with sections for different denominations and has a very large war-graves section. Brookwood station is still in use, but no longer for funeral trains, lol. I used to go and visit a friend who lived in one of the nearby villages and I met the local historian in the village pub and he told me all about the LNC, the reason for the railway line and the cemetery. One of the cemetery work force was also a pub regular, and as he knew I was interested in genealogy, he recommended a trip to look around! A very interesting place for those of us who are happy to read gravestones and to mingle amongst those who went before!

Jay
            how interesting, I worked and lived that way, but never realised, just mentioned it to husband and he knew about it!

I did know that the cemetery near my Nans in Finchley on North Circular Road is huge and was for 'Londoners'. Was looking at the plans of it the other day as a cousin died immediately after birth is there. I had no idea how vast it is.
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
            Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

How interesting. I found out while searching family in Australia that there was a similar railway between central Sydney and a massive graveyard. I had thought it was unique. Now I know different.

Comment

Working...
              X