Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Macleods and Frasers of London

Wulliam

I stand corrected! I just noticed that all the Donalds turned into Daniels around 1750 and ASSUMED (lol) it was a matter of accents- my umpty times great grandfather and his wife were Donald and Grizel one year, the next they were Daniel and Grace!

The Daniel/David confusion is entirely to do with copperplate writing, the outline of the two names is identical.

OC

Quote Originally Posted by wulliam View Post
    That's not quite right, OC...Donald is the English form of the Gaelic name Domhnull....which is pronounced roughly Dohull....which when heard and transcribed by a non-Gaelic speaker was often interpreted as Daniel!
    Hi William,
    I know this may not be in your field of expertise but have you ever heard of a Macleod family that was living in London in the 1780s? I may rightly or wrongly presume they were of some importance given the Macleod passed on through our family as a surname and is the tartan we wear.

Quote Originally Posted by MJLCarr View Post
    Hi William,
    I know this may not be in your field of expertise but have you ever heard of a Macleod family that was living in London in the 1780s? I may rightly or wrongly presume they were of some importance given the Macleod passed on through our family as a surname and is the tartan we wear.
    Hi! I've spent the last hour or so perusing various books I have looking for a Marion Macleod who married a Fraser. Nothing so far, but I'll keep looking!
    Kind regards,
    William
    Current focus of research: The Macleods of Lewis, especially those of the Point district.
    Of particular interest are Macleod families with men by the name of Torquil.
    Please see my user page for more detail...and pm me if we might share research!

Hi again,
    I've spent some more time looking through what I have, but haven't had any luck.
    Do any descendants of David & Marion have any other distinctive Scottish names which may have been passed down from their families?
    Also, are there any male line descendants of David alive? If so, a Y-DNA test (probably with FTDNA who have an extensive Macleod project) may point you towards one part of Scotland.
    All the best with your future hunt!
    Kind regards,
    William
    Current focus of research: The Macleods of Lewis, especially those of the Point district.
    Of particular interest are Macleod families with men by the name of Torquil.
    Please see my user page for more detail...and pm me if we might share research!