Looking for Simmons in 1861

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thomasalbertedward View Post
    I have a theory but it's only that - Simmons' father, John Butler, had a successful carpentry firm, first in London and by 1861 back in Berkshire, at Hurst which is only about 20 miles from Hedgerley I think. On the 1861 census Thomas and Charlotte are at Hedgerley with a couple of carpenters, who I think would have been doing work to the house before it sold. I've always wondered if Simmons also worked on the house at some point, since he was a carpenter by trade too. Another reason I would really love to locate him on the 1861 census.
    It has to be something like that. Maybe travelling around a bit for jobs meant a miss from the census, be nice to find him. I assume his father is John Simmons Butler that is listed in directories?
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
      I think the 1861 is a good possible for Sarah Palmer. In the household is a Margaret Hutchinson aged 70 a Widow b Chatteris (as was father Joseph Palmer). Ancestry is cross referencing Margaret with a Margaret Palmer who married a Robert Hutchinson. So possible Aunt

Vera
      Looks like an intriguing one then. They do appear to be 'together' in the household. good detective work.
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

I think the 1861 is a good possible for Sarah Palmer. In the household is a Margaret Hutchinson aged 70 a Widow b Chatteris (as was father Joseph Palmer). Ancestry is cross referencing Margaret with a Margaret Palmer who married a Robert Hutchinson. So possible Aunt

Vera
        That is terrific detective work Vera

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
          It has to be something like that. Maybe travelling around a bit for jobs meant a miss from the census, be nice to find him. I assume his father is John Simmons Butler that is listed in directories?
          Yes, that's his father. When he died in 1874, Charlotte had "son of John" inscribed on his gravestone. He was an only son with several sisters.

Comment

Looks like an intriguing one then. They do appear to be 'together' in the household. good detective work.
            You are all terrific detectives Carolyn

Comment

There is a Margaret Palmer marriage:

Marriage Date: 23 Oct 1814
              Marriage Place: Chatteris, Cambridgeshire, England
              Spouse: Robert Hutchin

looks like she could be father Jospehs sister from baptism records, well done Vera

Not me - it was Vera
              Last edited by cbcarolyn; 12-09-19, 23:58.
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Comment

There is a Margaret Palmer marriage:

Marriage Date: 23 Oct 1814
                Marriage Place: Chatteris, Cambridgeshire, England
                Spouse: Robert Hutchin

looks like she could be father Jospehs sister from baptism records, well done Vera

Not me - it was Vera
                Thanks Carolyn, a great help.

So Sarah Palmer was still alive in 1861 - she's listed as married on the census so I presume she and Simmons were still together and he was away working.

Will check out the death that Vera found.

Thanks again all

Comment

Thanks Carolyn, a great help.

So Sarah Palmer was still alive in 1861 - she's listed as married on the census so I presume she and Simmons were still together and he was away working.

Will check out the death that Vera found.

Thanks again all
                  This is getting more intriguing. The death Vera found would fit - and make Simmons a bigamist who absconded to Australia, so very interesting.

Then found this woman on the 1871 census: https://search.ancestry.com.au/cgi-b...&rhSource=8767. She could have gone back to using her maiden name Palmer or could be a completely different woman. Will have to do a bit more searching.

I think this could be Margaret Hutchinson's death in 1867: https://search.ancestry.com.au/cgi-b...=successSource

Comment

Ancestry not letting me sign in to UK to see your links

I'm now wondering about that 1864 death for Sarah. Looking to see if Sarah Palmer Butler re-married.

Can see on FMP a possible marriage
                    Parish of St Anne, Westminster 1866
                    Samuel Vary 32 Bachelor Gas Fitter residing Church St f William ?Cutler/Cutter
                    Sarah Butler 32 Widow S/A f Joseph Palmer, Builder
                    Witnesses John Cramer, Louisa Vary

1871 Sarah visiting Dunn family in Lambeth. Married, Dressmaker b City of London

Death for a Sarah Vary 1874 Pancras reg. Burial 1/9/1874 Pancras cemetery

Vera

Comment

I'm now wondering about that 1864 death for Sarah. Looking to see if Sarah Palmer Butler re-married.

1871 Sarah visiting Dunn family in Lambeth. Married, Dressmaker b City of London

Vera
                      This looks really intriguing - thank you so much!

Comment

Vera
                        that's definitely her - Vera, you're a genius

Samuel Vary is on the 1871 census lodging with the Taylor family: https://search.ancestry.com.au/cgi-b...=successSource

He married twice more - Ann Williams in 1875 - she died in 1882 - and Emily Allen in 1883.

Comment

copy link (to anywhere) and change to co.uk then copy to url box and it works
                          Carolyn
                          Family Tree site

Comment

that's definitely her - Vera, you're a genius

Samuel Vary is on the 1871 census lodging with the Taylor family: https://search.ancestry.com.au/cgi-b...=successSource

He married twice more - Ann Williams in 1875 - she died in 1882 - and Emily Allen in 1883.
                            Cant be 100% as Joseph the only possible link I can see, although others add up.

Still not seeing Simmons. When did he die?

There is a newspaper article re Thomas D inquest. Sudden death from liver failure. Apparently consulted a pharmacist as was usual back in the day who then referred him to brother for treatment.

Genius you say. No. I have access to lots of sites which helps. Just watch me try to copy and paste using Carolyn's instructions.

Vera
                            Last edited by vera2013; 13-09-19, 12:57.

Comment

copy link (to anywhere) and change to co.uk then copy to url box and it works
                              Thanks Carolyn. I'm working from a Kindle which is Android. Is that still possible

My laptop has Windows 10 downloaded. Never works. Constant and varied messages why I am disconnected. Takes an age too.

Vera

Comment

Yes should be I actually use the reply box to paste to, change au.com to co UK then. Copy again and put in address bar
                                Carolyn
                                Family Tree site

Comment

Cant be 100% as Joseph the only possible link I can see, although others add up.

Still not seeing Simmons. When did he die?

There is a newspaper article re Thomas D inquest. Sudden death from liver failure. Apparently consulted a pharmacist as was usual back in the day who then referred him to brother for treatment.

Genius you say. No. I have access to lots of sites which helps. Just watch me try to copy and paste using Carolyn's instructions.

Vera
                                  You are very clever, no doubt.

I would be very confident it's her. Joseph Palmer was a builder and her other census records say born in the City of London - and the ages are right.

I'm still not seeing Simmons either on the 1861 census - he died here in Australia in 1874 and is buried in the local cemetery.

I have the newspaper article about Thomas' death, thank you. I read the article as Mr Rayner, the chemist telling Thomas that there was nothing more he could do for him and that Thomas should go and stay with his own brother - who would have been his brothers James and John who were both still unmarried and living in Horton, Buckinghamshire at the time - I think about 35 miles from Uxbridge where Thomas and Charlotte were renting a house when he died.

Comment

[QUOTE

I have the newspaper article about Thomas' death, thank you. I read the article as Mr Rayner, the chemist telling Thomas that there was nothing more he could do for him and that Thomas should go and stay with his own brother - who would have been his brothers James and John who were both still unmarried and living in Horton, Buckinghamshire at the time - I think about 35 miles from Uxbridge where Thomas and Charlotte were renting a house when he died.[/QUOTE]

This is another version. Either way Thomas died when a very young man

Capture Piggott d.JPG

Not sure if that will work. Probably quicker to type it out

Vera

Comment

[QUOTE

I have the newspaper article about Thomas' death, thank you. I read the article as Mr Rayner, the chemist telling Thomas that there was nothing more he could do for him and that Thomas should go and stay with his own brother - who would have been his brothers James and John who were both still unmarried and living in Horton, Buckinghamshire at the time - I think about 35 miles from Uxbridge where Thomas and Charlotte were renting a house when he died.
                                      This is another version. Either way Thomas died when a very young man

Capture Piggott d.JPG

Not sure if that will work. Probably quicker to type it out

Vera[/QUOTE]

That's grand! Thank you Vera !
                                      Last edited by thomasalbertedward; 13-09-19, 22:13.

Comment

Working...
                                      X