Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this job

Hello
    On 1939 census my mum Ethel May Wynn now deceased, has the occupation of Pepper Sorter. At least that is what I think it says. She would have been 14/15 years of age.

Can anyone tell me what this was or where to look to find out.

Thank you
    Ann

Where was she living?

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

what other occupations are in the street?
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

She lived in Woolwich near the Royal Arsenal
        There are varied jobs Labourers, Domestics, Clerks, Gangers

Comment

Duijndam Machines has a large offer of used Capsicum & Pepper sorting machines. Check the current stock now on our website! ✅ Largest offer of the Benelux.

Comment

I had a look around and couldnt see anything definitive. I assume close enough to docks to maybe working with pepper as it arrives, not sure what exactly would need to be sorted.
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

"On 1939 census my mum Ethel May Wynn now deceased, has the occupation of Pepper Sorter. At least that is what I think it says. She would have been 14/15 years of age."

I can't find her, searching with the name and age you gave, and using Woolwich. Where did you find the information and can you give us some other details to help us pull up the relevant image?

Jay
              Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

If you look at this thread Janet you will see that the family are mis-transcribed under Lynn -
                Questions, answers and general information about your family history research.
                Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

A really wild guess! Lead shot is sometimes called pepper and if she worked at the Arsenal, perhaps she sorted lead shot.

Or perhaps she did indeed just sort peppercorns.

OC

Comment

Thank you everybody for replying. Still not sure what it was.
                    Ann

Comment

here is the link on ancestry
                      https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/61596/tna_r39_0644_0644b_018?pid=9437966
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Comment

Can see only one other Pepper Sorter 1839 FMP. She is same dob living West Ham. A history of West Ham industries does not reveal anything linked to Peppercorns or Peppers so could be munitions as OC has sggested.

Vera
                        Last edited by vera2013; 04-09-19, 19:14.

Comment

I am sure I will find out one day but I hope it was not munitions at the age of 14. But war does change priorities.
                          Thank you all
                          Ann

Comment

Working...
                          X