No announcement yet.

Edward Cooper c1813-1849

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you picked up the second marriage of John Edward jnr 1895?

father John Edward solicitor, same details as first marriage
    Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
    http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Odd that the 1841 and the directory has 'Accountant', and the swapping of Edward and John isn't helping!
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
        Odd that the 1841 and the directory has 'Accountant', and the swapping of Edward and John isn't helping!
        So, I've got a gentleman/solicitor/accountant called Edward John/John Edward/Edward or any combination of as the fancy takes him and his rellies.

Arghhhhhhh!

My friend is sending me some paperwork from previous research and I've got my fingers crossed it will help. But then I am an optimist ;D

STG
        Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

be interested to see how it pans out, certainly an interesting branch, got me hooked!

Have you done any newspaper searching? I thought that the road was interesting that they were in as artists all along there.
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine View Post
            Have you picked up the second marriage of John Edward jnr 1895?

father John Edward solicitor, same details as first marriage
            I didn't see another :( , wondering if it is worth mapping out all of the addresses, of all the documents and see if they gives any clues to their roots. most of tthe adresses I have are all in a similar area.
            Last edited by cbcarolyn; 31-08-19, 12:35.
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Comment

If Edward/John Edward/whatever-his-name-was, was really a solicitor, or even an accountant, would he have had to qualify somewhere? Would he have needed a degree? Might that help me find out where he was from, etc?

Yes, Bohemian lot artists, aren't they?

Am still puzzling as to why (a) Edward and Mary Ann didn't marry until a few weeks before their third child was born and (b) why he didn't leave (or I just can find) a will for him.

I did try newspapers for Edward, and did find one who was a solicitor, but they were all after he died - so probably not him! ;D

As soon as friend's paperwork arrives, I'll be back with an update.

Thanks for your help/interest.
              STG

Comment

I note from Carolyn's directory entry for Edward as Accountant/Commission Agent that FMP have info on a Bankrupty hearing for an AKA as Edward Cooper Hooper in 1939 Great Russell Street. Not seeing any likely Hooper in official records though.
                I have my doubts about him being a Solicitor. Wonder if there is a Law Directory similar to that of the Medical Directory

Vera
                Last edited by vera2013; 31-08-19, 15:25.

Comment

EDIT above. Cant now find that he was AKA. So maybe a different chap

Vera

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
                    EDIT above. Cant now find that he was AKA. So maybe a different chap

Vera
                    That one seems to be Edward Cooper Pullibank, aka Hooper, an actor and theatrical agent. Probably a different chap to the Edward I'm on the trail of.

Thanks anyway. You never know where a lead takes you, do you?

STG

Comment

1. Why use this guide? This guide provides advice on how to find historical records of lawyers, primarily from the 18th and 19th centuries. If you are interested in where, when and with which court a particular lawyer practiced, or you want to find some biographical background on a lawyer, the advice in this guide […]

This site may have some info to eliminate or otherwise your Edward as a Solicitor. Cant search online but there is a live chat for pointers

Vera

Comment

on https://archive.org there are some publications that list barristers publications as mentioned in this wiki, search via google for the publication and you will find it:

eg grays inn, but can't find any solicitor lists. :(

Ancestry has The law lists, but nothing on there.
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Comment

I have tried a quick search in the newspapers - and have had some strange results if i put in "17. Howland" - brings up another solicitor, but seems the right address, I don't have a sub to have a look through, but maybe before they moved in.

Was hoping an obit would be in there.
                          Carolyn
                          Family Tree site

Comment

I have tried a quick search in the newspapers - and have had some strange results if i put in "17. Howland" - brings up another solicitor, but seems the right address, I don't have a sub to have a look through, but maybe before they moved in.

Was hoping an obit would be in there.
                            Just realised that there is a John Townshend also at the same address that is the one in the newsapers.
                            Carolyn
                            Family Tree site

Comment

Tried 17 Howland on FMP. This ones for 1837. Maybe a bit young for our man and he is a CC

Capture Howland 17.JPG

Vera

Comment

I just love the wording of those ads think they moved in after 1841 as he was at 14 Compton Street in census. In 1843 he was at the address of the baptism - but haven't a clue what that says!

Carolyn
                                Family Tree site

Comment

Not him then.

In todays world a bit oh er missus. Very respectable back in the day...I think

Vera
                                  Last edited by vera2013; 31-08-19, 18:52.

Comment

I just love the wording of those ads think they moved in after 1841 as he was at 14 Compton Street in census. In 1843 he was at the address of the baptism - but haven't a clue what that says!

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...-00360/1723916
                                    I think it may be University Street

ADDED: Ive just looked at the marriage. Mary Ann's address was University Street, so I think it even more likely.
                                    Last edited by teasie; 31-08-19, 19:59.

Comment

Just found this in the papers

THE REPORTS.
                                      the sum of 61. 15s. 6d. for the supply of the Law Times, &c. to Messrs. Townsend and Smith, solicitors, formerly of Howland-street. Cooper, from the office of Mr. Smith, took an objection to the summons, the plaintiff having sued Mr. Smith only. The Court
                                      01 August 1848 - County Courts Chronicle - London, London, England

Create an account for free with Findmypast to discover your family history and build a family tree. Search birth records, census data, death records and more.

I just can't see the article on the link

Did find this one

Evening Mail 06 February 1850
                                      Attached Files
                                      Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by teasie View Post
                                        I think it may be University Street

ADDED: Ive just looked at the marriage. Mary Ann's address was University Street, so I think it even more likely.
                                        and also just spotted it is on Jessies death
                                        Carolyn
                                        Family Tree site

Comment

This one has a bit more

London Daily News 05 February 1850
                                          Attached Files
                                          Elaine

Comment

Working...
                                          X