X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
    Am I invisible??!!

OC
    do you mean me? No I have noted that the 1872 is wrong, but it is on the tree I looked at, maybe I still didn't make it clear sorry.
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Carolyn, no, don't mean you, I mean my two posts saying the 1867 marriage is correct, he married Mary "Callnan", where Callnan is a mistranscription of Sullivan.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
        Carolyn, no, don't mean you, I mean my two posts saying the 1867 marriage is correct, he married Mary "Callnan", where Callnan is a mistranscription of Sullivan.

OC
        I think he has already ordered the certificate so guess he will find out.

Mystery solved one of the same
        Last edited by cbcarolyn; 27-08-19, 13:27.
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Carolyn

Phew!

(And so relieved to know I am not invisible, lol)

OC

Comment

where did you see it?
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Comment

Although first born does not have fathers name on record as far as I can see on GRO, which seems odd

NameJohn Callaghan
              Registration Year1873
              Registration QuarterJan-Feb-Mar
              Registration districtNewport
              Parishes for this Registration DistrictNewport
              Inferred CountyMonmouthshire
              Volume11aPage195
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Comment

If they had split up by 1873 then there would be no father's name on the cert, meaning no mother's msiden name either. Her name was legally Callaghan.

OC

Comment

doh sorry this is me getting in a muddle, that one has a maiden name and not what we want! maybe the tree I am looking at has wrong first born too Will await further info

But there is a John Sullivan with no maiden name which was what I looked at.
                  Last edited by cbcarolyn; 27-08-19, 15:31.
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Comment

Maybe a complete red herring!

SULLIVAN, JOHN -
                    GRO Reference: 1874 J Quarter in NEWPORT Volume 11A Page 205
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Comment

I wonder if 2weis has a copy of the Australian marriage certificate and if it shows name of groom's father? It could prove useful to verify, or otherwise, the relevance of the 1867 marriage.

Comment

olde crone
                        sorry in not replying to you earlier, i had to go out .
                        i appreciate you input and as i have ordered the marriage cert i will be able to compare any other data on it
                        Brian
                        avatar is my paternal grandmother Hazel May Sheridan (Coles /// Callaghan)
                        researching Coles/Sheridan from Broken Hill Callaghan from Sydney P.J O'Flynn M.J Campbell from County Clare plus others as they pop up

Comment

brentor boy
                          i have a marriage cert transcript for australian wedding
                          groom denis (signed dennis) callaghan age 22 (=born 1855) bride mary anne sullivan age 18 (=born 1859)date 29/01/1877 st laurence n adelaide
                          groons father denis callaghan brides father william sullivan

denis birth cert says born 01/07/1851 (father surname surname O'Callaghan)
                          his child joseph octavus callaghan (born 07/08/1895) says father denis born monmouthshire age 41(=born 1854) mother mary sullivan 39 (=born 1856)
                          these sort of discrepencies are what makes it confusing (particularily to a novice)
                          Brian
                          researching Coles/Sheridan from Broken Hill Callaghan from Sydney P.J O'Flynn M.J Campbell from County Clare plus others as they pop up

Comment

cb carolyn
                            john sullivan seems to be first born and died 15 months later the only child born in Bedwelty
                            next child is mary annn born in 1878 in south australia
                            i may still order that cert just for reference
                            thanking you
                            Brian

Comment

once you have the marriage cert you will have to let us know.

Did they travel on the ship together to Aus?

wonder why he would have a different age (especially younger) for his marriage
                              Last edited by cbcarolyn; 27-08-19, 23:17.
                              Carolyn
                              Family Tree site

Comment

Oh dear, the Bedwellty marriage can't be correct if the Australian one is correct because the couple would have been extremely young, Mary at 8 far too young. And why would they marry twice? It could be that he married twice, both times to women of the same name, again possible but extremely unlikely.

Let us know what the certificate says!

OC
                                Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 28-08-19, 09:52.

Comment

olde crone
                                  you are correct they would be very young Denis (born 1851) would be 16
                                  i am not sure if mary was the first wife as she was born 1856 = 11 in 1867 marriage
                                  i have a copy of south aust marriage to mary in 1877
                                  i have just received a copy of first born child john born 1874 in bedwelty
                                  it gives father as timothy (denis middle name) and mother as ellen callaghan (formely nall or wall)
                                  ellen makes her mark x in the signature section of the birth cert
                                  my records (not backed by certificates shows this child died at 15 months)
                                  1874 sept qtr vol11a page 123
                                  Brian
                                  Last edited by 2weis; 28-08-19, 10:40. Reason: more information

Comment

I suspect the Bedwellty.marriage will turn out to be the father, not the son who went to Australia. Either that, or another Dennis entirely!

OC

Comment

Oh, very odd! There is a marriage between PATRICK Callaghan and Ellen Wall in Bedwelty.

OC

Comment

olde crone holden
                                        is there any more information regard that marriage
                                        brian

Comment

No, it's just what I picked up from the GRO indexes, so no detail I'm afraid.

OC

Comment

Working...
                                          X