marriage cert Bedwelty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• marriage cert Bedwelty

I have suggestions that my great grandfather may have married in Bedwelty, that is despite having married later in South Australia with no reference to the 1st marriage
    I have a reference to volume 11a page 153 in a marriage registry from Bedwelty April/May/ June/ 1867 but am unable to find a source to download it.
    Any suggestions as to where i can achieve this.
    I have let my family tree subscription lapse until i had more time to research.
    The male i'M looking at is Denis (Dennis) Callaghan (O'Callaghan) possibly marrying Mary Ann (Anne) Sullivan (Sullivan) .
    Any help or directions will be greatly appreciated
    Brian
    avatar is my paternal grandmother Hazel May Sheridan (Coles /// Callaghan)
    researching Coles/Sheridan from Broken Hill Callaghan from Sydney P.J O'Flynn M.J Campbell from County Clare plus others as they pop up

You cannot download the certificate but need to buy it from the General Register Office. The will post it to you. The cost is £11.25 wherever in the world you are. Use the official website as others charge more. https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...ates/Login.asp
    You will need to create a login but that is free.
    Anne
    Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 27-08-19, 07:23.

Comment

The Dennis Callaghan in 1867 married either Mary Callnan or Eliza McCarthy so I do not think he is your man.

Comment

brentor boy
        We are not sure if the first marriage was to Mary or not
        Brian
        researching Coles/Sheridan from Broken Hill Callaghan from Sydney P.J O'Flynn M.J Campbell from County Clare plus others as they pop up

Comment

Thank you Anne i will try that
          Brian

Comment

Between 1860-70 there are 16 Denis Callaghan (and variations) marriages recorded, and one Denis O'Callaghan. None appear to be to a Mary/ Anne Sullivan. Before you think of buying certificates I think you need to try and discover more about this first marriage. Even an approximation of where and when, and a partial name of the bride, could help reduce the options.

Just a thought. Have you traced him on any census? That might provide a name for his wife.
            Last edited by brentor boy; 27-08-19, 08:13.

Comment

i have some census record up to 1871 putting him in monmouthshire last address is as a lodger but the family stories are clouded around him
              i have ordered the certificate and will see if it is of any help
              i am still open to any more hints i can get
              Brian

Comment

Between 1860-70 there are 16 Denis Callaghan (and variations) marriages recorded, and one Denis O'Callaghan. None appear to be to a Mary/ Anne Sullivan. Before you think of buying certificates I think you need to try and discover more about this first marriage. Even an approximation of where and when, and a partial name of the bride, could help reduce the options.

Comment

Just a thought. Have you traced him on any census? That might give his wife a name. If you no longer subscribe to a pay to view site , you can obtain free access to a workable version of a census from Family Search XXXX ( XXXX - year of census)

Sorry, I seem to have made a bit of a mess with my posting and edits, with some duplication.
                  Last edited by brentor boy; 27-08-19, 08:27.

Comment

on Ancestry there is a public tree that has included the marriage you mention, but date as 1872 (odd) not 67, they have included birth of son John Callaghan before marriage to Dennis. I have checked to see if they have put any documentation on to substantiate, and there is not. maybe you are in contact with them (or maybe it is you!) Duncan Leggett.

Bedwelty is quite a few miles (on foot) from St Woolas Newport where Mary Ann was from - did they travel together to Australia? did you know can check mother maiden name on GRO and only one john callaghan with wrong maiden name for Newport. there is a John Sullivan though no maiden name, so no father recorded.

Not sure if any of this helps
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

If I have the correct entry, Denis is recorded as aged 18 in 1871. Even if that is only an approximation of his age, a marriage in 1867 seems unlikely. How have you identified him as your man?

When did he land in Australia?

Comment

i have him landed in Australia 1877
                        on birth cert of children his birth date varies between 1850 and 1856
                        If his birth date is 1851 then marriage under extenuating circumstances is possible ??

Comment

not sure if you saw my post number 10?
                          Carolyn
                          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                            not sure if you saw my post number 10?
                            I didn't see until after I had posted mine .

I'm struggling to find the 1872 marriage on Free BMD.

Comment

I am seeing the Bedwelty marriage in 1867 with the reference you gave. The two brides are Eliza McCarthy or Mary Callnan. Could Mary Callnan be Mary Sullivan? The outline of the surnames is the same and if the writing was poor, maybebthe transcriber saw Callnan instead of Sullivan.

OC

Comment

"Married in Bedwellty" - this could refer either to the place Bedwellty, OR to the registration district of Bedwellty, which is a much larger area. If you do not have a marriage cert specifying the venue of the marriage, then you should consider that it could have anywhere within the Bedwellty reg dist.

Have you tried looking on Freereg, or familysearch, including the wider area?

Jay
                                Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

cbcarolyn
                                  no im not Duncan but i am in touch with him
                                  i will take note of all the hints and suggestions and sort out what i can
                                  while i have been looking for a while i am still very much a novice and until i learn how to research more i will struggle a little
                                  any more hints will be greatly appreciated
                                  Brian

Comment

The marriage is there, see my post #15 above.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by brentor boy View Post
                                      I didn't see until after I had posted mine .

I'm struggling to find the 1872 marriage on Free BMD.
                                      Sorry I probably didn't make it clear - he had no back up to an 1872 marriage, so his tree has errors, as he goes on to surmise that Eliza McCarthy is the wife and died before 1881 - not evidenced. So Duncan must be stuck too

I do find sometimes that other trees point me in the right direction even if they have not got there themselves!
                                      Carolyn
                                      Family Tree site

Comment

Am I invisible??!!

OC

Comment

Working...
                                        X