Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: marriage cert Bedwelty

marriage cert Bedwelty

I have suggestions that my great grandfather may have married in Bedwelty, that is despite having married later in South Australia with no reference to the 1st marriage
    I have a reference to volume 11a page 153 in a marriage registry from Bedwelty April/May/ June/ 1867 but am unable to find a source to download it.
    Any suggestions as to where i can achieve this.
    I have let my family tree subscription lapse until i had more time to research.
    The male i'M looking at is Denis (Dennis) Callaghan (O'Callaghan) possibly marrying Mary Ann (Anne) Sullivan (Sullivan) .
    Any help or directions will be greatly appreciated
    Brian
    avatar is my paternal grandmother Hazel May Sheridan (Coles /// Callaghan)
    researching Coles/Sheridan from Broken Hill Callaghan from Sydney P.J O'Flynn M.J Campbell from County Clare plus others as they pop up

You cannot download the certificate but need to buy it from the General Register Office. The will post it to you. The cost is £11.25 wherever in the world you are. Use the official website as others charge more. https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...ates/Login.asp
    You will need to create a login but that is free.
    Anne
    Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 27-08-19 at 07:23.

The Dennis Callaghan in 1867 married either Mary Callnan or Eliza McCarthy so I do not think he is your man.

brentor boy
    We are not sure if the first marriage was to Mary or not
    Brian
    researching Coles/Sheridan from Broken Hill Callaghan from Sydney P.J O'Flynn M.J Campbell from County Clare plus others as they pop up

Thank you Anne i will try that
    Brian

Between 1860-70 there are 16 Denis Callaghan (and variations) marriages recorded, and one Denis O'Callaghan. None appear to be to a Mary/ Anne Sullivan. Before you think of buying certificates I think you need to try and discover more about this first marriage. Even an approximation of where and when, and a partial name of the bride, could help reduce the options.

Just a thought. Have you traced him on any census? That might provide a name for his wife.
    Last edited by brentor boy; 27-08-19 at 08:13.

i have some census record up to 1871 putting him in monmouthshire last address is as a lodger but the family stories are clouded around him
    i have ordered the certificate and will see if it is of any help
    i am still open to any more hints i can get
    Brian

Between 1860-70 there are 16 Denis Callaghan (and variations) marriages recorded, and one Denis O'Callaghan. None appear to be to a Mary/ Anne Sullivan. Before you think of buying certificates I think you need to try and discover more about this first marriage. Even an approximation of where and when, and a partial name of the bride, could help reduce the options.

Just a thought. Have you traced him on any census? That might give his wife a name. If you no longer subscribe to a pay to view site , you can obtain free access to a workable version of a census from Family Search XXXX ( XXXX - year of census)

Sorry, I seem to have made a bit of a mess with my posting and edits, with some duplication.
    Last edited by brentor boy; 27-08-19 at 08:27.

on Ancestry there is a public tree that has included the marriage you mention, but date as 1872 (odd) not 67, they have included birth of son John Callaghan before marriage to Dennis. I have checked to see if they have put any documentation on to substantiate, and there is not. maybe you are in contact with them (or maybe it is you!) Duncan Leggett.

Bedwelty is quite a few miles (on foot) from St Woolas Newport where Mary Ann was from - did they travel together to Australia? did you know can check mother maiden name on GRO and only one john callaghan with wrong maiden name for Newport. there is a John Sullivan though no maiden name, so no father recorded.

Not sure if any of this helps
    Carolyn

Researching:Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon
    Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Plant, Skinner - Lincs ....all moved to London
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff