Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help finding WWII veteran

Hey all,

I've hit a brick wall in my research and I was wondering if maybe your minds would have any idea how to go forward.

I'm looking for a decorated WWII airman born in Scotland who moved to Canada after the war. He died in Ontario somewhere between may 2018 and march 2019 at 96 years old, so he would have been born sometime in 1922 or 1923.

Here's the thing: I don't have a name.

Any ideas on where I could start looking? The site Necro Canada has thousands and thousands of pages of death notices that I'd have to sift through... I was wondering if anyone here could think of a way of narrowing the search down.

Thank you to everyone!

probably a silly question but you don't have any relatives or place of birth then?
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Do you know what military decorations he was awarded? Most people were awarded the war and defence medals; the campaign stars narrow things down a bit, indicating where men saw active service. If he was awarded any medals other than these, that might have been reported in newspapers, which sometimes gave a few details about the recipient. That could be a useful starting point - otherwise, looking for an anonymous man with no known place/date of birth and no service number or details is the proverbial needle and haystack job, I fear.

Jay
      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Originally posted by HJYale View Post
        He d[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]ied in Ontario somewhere between may 2018 and march 2019 at 96 years old, so he would have been born sometime in 1922 or 1923.

Even now, 96 makes him an outlier. I don't know how newspapers and records are searched in Ontario, but focusing on that fact should make sorting easier.

Comment

I am intrigued as to how you know when he died and his age, but you know nothing else about him. I may be jumping to wild conclusions here, but is this perhaps some hearsay information about an unknown father? If so, dna testing might be more use than an endless search, lol.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by HJYale View Post
            Hey all,

I've hit a brick wall in my research and I was wondering if maybe your minds would have any idea how to go forward.

I'm looking for a decorated WWII airman born in Scotland who moved to Canada after the war. He died in Ontario somewhere between may 2018 and march 2019 at 96 years old, so he would have been born sometime in 1922 or 1923.

Here's the thing: I don't have a name.

Any ideas on where I could start looking? The site Necro Canada has thousands and thousands of pages of death notices that I'd have to sift through... I was wondering if anyone here could think of a way of narrowing the search down.

Thank you to everyone!
            If you use the keyword search option here - from the info you possess, you only have a limited range to choose from eg 96, Scotland, 1922, 1923, raf, airman etc- it should at least narrow the results down to slightly more manageable proportions.

Christine
            Last edited by Karamazov; 27-08-19, 22:28.
            Researching:
            HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Working...
            X