Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What did Martin inherit after the well bucket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What did Martin inherit after the well bucket?

I'm struggling with a couple of words in Joane Harwood's will, any thoughts please?

one yeareafter my decease by my Executor It I give to my sone martin Harwood my tabell and forme in the hall and the great wood Chest and the Cubard in the butury and all the shilves and benches in the house that benailed and the Cheesepress and dresser in the kichen and well
    bucket and ????? and horse mangers and ????? andfive shillings"

Last edited by Jill on the A272; 22-08-19, 19:05.

Could it be bucket and roope (rope) and horse mangers and rackes (racks)?

Comment

Of course, I can see it now - every well bucket needs a rope and the "rackes" would be in the stable to hold the tack. Thankyou Sussex Maid - it's a Sussex will too!

Comment

when was the will dated? I guess a well bucket was a bit of a lifeline, interesting what was valuable
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Probate was 1690, it was written in 168? - I'd forgotten that I can't read the final digit. There's a link in my first post if anyone fancies a look.

Comment

I've been asked about where to find Sussex wills on Familysearch, here's the link

Or you can search the catalogue with England, Sussex in the place field, Probate in the subjects field and clicking on the "online" button, there are 34 categories, thousands of original wills also including 1858-1900 wills proved at Chichester copied into ledgers.

Comment

I think it might be a 5 - the bottom curl not formed perhaps?
              Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

I find it interesting that the witnesses and Joane had not signed but only made their marks. I suppose they are only witnessing the "Signature" not what is actually written in the will. People needed to trust whoever wrote the will for them- they could have been signing everything away!
                Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Thanks Kat. I think Henry Harwood signed, yes it's just the fact that the testator signed that they are witnessing.

I'm trying to unknot the Harwood families around the Pulborough area, they have an annoying habit of all having sons called John. Some of them leave money or items to people described as kinsmen or kinswoman and may or may not be related to me or my husband (we have a common Harwood ancestor in Pulborough in the 17th century).

Comment

Kat

Witnesses do not need to read a will to sign it and indeed I think it might be considered rude to read it! I have witnessed two wills, both times the page was covered with a blank sheet of paper.

My parents made mirror wills and went to the solicitors office to sign them and they were witnessed by office staff. Mum died first and to our horror, probate was refused because she had not actually signed!!!! All was well.though - the solicitor had to swear that my mother had had every intention of signing and the two witnesses also had to swear that mum had turned up to sign her will.

OC

Comment

Yes, I witnessed many wills when I worked in banking, nearly always covered over. Bank policy was to sign and also use the date stamp.

Comment

We did ours in each other’s presence and the witness to both our signatures was our solicitor who drawn up both mirror wills and the second witness was his p.a.
                        Last edited by GallowayLass; 23-08-19, 13:52.

Comment

Witnesses to a testator's signature must not see the contents of a will. They might be beneficiaries or otherwise connected.
                          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

A beneficiary cannot witness a will in Canada or the US ............... so I checked online.

They cannot witness a will in England either.

An Executor can witness a will in England but only if not also a beneficiary

In the US and Canada a beneficiary who witnesses a will could have his/her inheritance declared void.
                            My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Working...
                            X