Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What did Martin inherit after the well bucket?

Blog Entries

What did Martin inherit after the well bucket?

I'm struggling with a couple of words in Joane Harwood's will, any thoughts please?

one yeareafter my decease by my Executor It I give to my sone martin Harwood my tabell and forme in the hall and the great wood Chest and the Cubard in the butury and all the shilves and benches in the house that benailed and the Cheesepress and dresser in the kichen and well
    bucket and ????? and horse mangers and ????? andfive shillings"

Last edited by Jill on the A272; 22-08-19 at 19:05.

Could it be bucket and roope (rope) and horse mangers and rackes (racks)?

Blog Entries
    Of course, I can see it now - every well bucket needs a rope and the "rackes" would be in the stable to hold the tack. Thankyou Sussex Maid - it's a Sussex will too!

when was the will dated? I guess a well bucket was a bit of a lifeline, interesting what was valuable
    Carolyn

Researching:Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon
    Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Plant, Skinner - Lincs ....all moved to London
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Blog Entries
    Probate was 1690, it was written in 168? - I'd forgotten that I can't read the final digit. There's a link in my first post if anyone fancies a look.

Blog Entries
    I've been asked about where to find Sussex wills on Familysearch, here's the link

Or you can search the catalogue with England, Sussex in the place field, Probate in the subjects field and clicking on the "online" button, there are 34 categories, thousands of original wills also including 1858-1900 wills proved at Chichester copied into ledgers.

I think it might be a 5 - the bottom curl not formed perhaps?
    Kat

My avatar is my Grandmother - Ida Lock 1897-1988

I find it interesting that the witnesses and Joane had not signed but only made their marks. I suppose they are only witnessing the "Signature" not what is actually written in the will. People needed to trust whoever wrote the will for them- they could have been signing everything away!
    Kat

My avatar is my Grandmother - Ida Lock 1897-1988

Blog Entries
    Thanks Kat. I think Henry Harwood signed, yes it's just the fact that the testator signed that they are witnessing.

I'm trying to unknot the Harwood families around the Pulborough area, they have an annoying habit of all having sons called John. Some of them leave money or items to people described as kinsmen or kinswoman and may or may not be related to me or my husband (we have a common Harwood ancestor in Pulborough in the 17th century).

Kat

Witnesses do not need to read a will to sign it and indeed I think it might be considered rude to read it! I have witnessed two wills, both times the page was covered with a blank sheet of paper.

My parents made mirror wills and went to the solicitors office to sign them and they were witnessed by office staff. Mum died first and to our horror, probate was refused because she had not actually signed!!!! All was well.though - the solicitor had to swear that my mother had had every intention of signing and the two witnesses also had to swear that mum had turned up to sign her will.

OC