Divorce records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Divorce records

I seem to be going round in circles. Does anyone know if there would there be any divorce records online for the 1970's for Wirral?

As I understand it, modern di vorce records are not kept more than 20 years. There just might be something in a local newspaper but even that is unlikely by the 1970s as divorce was becoming more commonplace and not particularly newsworthy any more.

OC

Comment

I notice that a lot were reported in the newspapers, could be worth a search if you have not tried.
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

It was a good job I decided to check on the site as I didn't received notification, and I didn't want people to think I was rude!

Thanks very much for your replies and insight. I will check out the newspapers - but it is probably a dead end in that respect for this enquiry.

Thanks again for your help, it is much appreciated.

Comment

I found one a while back, that particular paper must have sent office junior to courts once a week and just listed them all! so you may be lucky
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
          Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

It certainly is worth a look!

Comment

For England/Wales - Divorce records up to 1937, including details of the case, are held at the National Archives, Kew. I was looking through a box of them yesterday. Up to 1918, they have been made available on Ancestry.

1. Why use this guide? This guide will help you to find records held at The National Archives for divorce and separation. You are unlikely to find documents for any divorce since 1937 among our records. For legal proof of your own divorce, or any divorce in England or Wales since 1858 to the present, […]

Post 1937 - the records are available but will only be a copy of the decree confirming the names involved, the date of divorce, and the court granting it, and can be obtained from the court service. An application can be expensive (between £10-£65), depending on how much you know about when/where the divorce took place.

How to order a copy of a decree absolute or a final order if you want to remarry or prove that you have divorced your former husband or wife or ended a civil partnership.
              Last edited by AntonyM; 23-08-19, 08:41.
              Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
              Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Thanks very much AntonyM, that's good information and I have learnt something new!
                Last edited by reuben30; 23-08-19, 09:59. Reason: Missed letter off word

Comment

Working...
                X