St. Michael's, Dumfries.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St. Michael's, Dumfries.

There's a memorial to one of my ancestors in the churchyard of St. Michael's in Dumfries.

Anyone got any suggestions as to where to find who commissioned this quite large monument ?
    It was some time after 1858 but before 1876.
    Cath.

As far as I'm aware, churches don't keep records of gravestones per se. However, sometimes the stones have the name of the firm of masons on them - if you're lucky, they might still be in business and have the relevant records and details (for adding additional names, carrying out repairs etc.) Bit of a long shot, but might be worth a try.

Bear in mind that memorials can be erected decades after a death and also that people named on a churchyard memorial may not have been buried there.

Jay
    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 19-08-19, 12:23.
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Originally posted by Cath RJ View Post
      There's a memorial to one of my ancestors in the churchyard of St. Michael's in Dumfries.

Anyone got any suggestions as to where to find who commissioned this quite large monument ?
      It was some time after 1858 but before 1876.
      Cath, can you tell me who your relative is as I can easily nip in to main library and check the MI books. Gravestones usually have the name of the person who purchased the lair and stone at the top eg. Erected by Joe Bloggs in loving memory of his wife Jean Doe. If you can get back to me by return, I can also go up to St. Michael’s and get a photo if you would like one as it’s a nice day here at moment.

Comment

Thank you so much.
        The monument is quite close to the Burns Memorial. It's red sandstone and the first person mentioned is Agnes Lee (again!).
        It also mentions George Graham etc. Just underneath there is a sliver of stone which says Charles Graham, a baker. He was Agnes's husband who died later in 1869.

It was a bit difficult to read but we never thought to look for the name of the purchaser.

Got a photo already but it's not very clear - if you can manage a better one I'd be soooo grateful.
        Last edited by Cath RJ; 19-08-19, 13:16.
        Cath.

Comment

Will do. Hubby tells me that it’s persisting down in Dumfries so will take anorak with me. Don’t worry about that, I know my way around so it won’t take me too long to find it. Gives me the perfect excuse to go to town for a loaf of the bread I like LOL It’s still lovely here but have taken in the washing just in case.

Comment

Gosh, GL, wish my rellies came from the borders! Nothing like that available for any of the churchyards near me, although the municipal cemeteries might keep relevant records of gravestones.

Jay
            Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
              Gosh, GL, wish my rellies came from the borders! Nothing like that available for any of the churchyards near me, although the municipal cemeteries might keep relevant records of gravestones.

Jay
              Have you checked with any local FHS, they are usually the ones whose members do the MI recording and publish them either as CDs or paper booklets?

Comment

Originally posted by Cath RJ View Post
                Thank you so much.
                The monument is quite close to the Burns Memorial. It's red sandstone and the first person mentioned is Agnes Lee (again!).
                It also mentions George Graham etc. Just underneath there is a sliver of stone which says Charles Graham, a baker. He was Agnes's husband who died later in 1869.

It was a bit difficult to read but we never thought to look for the name of the purchaser.

Got a photo already but it's not very clear - if you can manage a better one I'd be soooo grateful.
                Quite close ?? It is right next to! Found it no problem. Managed to get a nice spell between the rain showers but that was a double edged sword for the photo shoot as the inscription is on the side that meant I had the sun right in my eyes but I am sure I got it all in bits as closeups and couple of shots for location purposes. Both my iPad and phone are dying so will upload this evening after dinner is out of the way :-)
                Last edited by GallowayLass; 19-08-19, 16:10.

Comment

Thank you so much. It's many years since I was there so I just remembered it being near the Burns one. I had the same problem with the sun when I tried to get a photo. I've just scrutinised my old photo with a magnifying glass but can't find any mention of a stone mason etc,

I hope you didn't get too wet on my behalf. I've been like a jack in the box today nursing my washing.
                  x
                  Cath.

Comment

Sorry about any confusion over who the stonemason was. The person who commissioned the monument will either be Agnes’ husband or son. Unless one of the deceased on a large monument was an especially well known person and/or a public subscription was raised to purchase said monument you are not likely to find out who built/carved it. If it was such a one, there might be a chance that the name of the stonemason would be mentioned in a newspaper report of the erection of the monument particularly if it is a very elaborate one and it’s creator was thought to be worth a mention. Or, as is ever the way of the world, the mason knew the journalist and got a bit of free publicity LOL
                    Last edited by GallowayLass; 19-08-19, 18:17.

Comment

Do you need a full transcription of the wording?

Comment

Many thanks for your efforts on my behalf. I just wish we could work out who commissioned the monument. There appears to have been no money in the family so I can't imagine how she came to have such a large memorial.

Her son, George, who is mentioned on the monument died just one year before her but appears second on the stone which makes me think it was one of Agnes's side of the family who paid for the stone. George died in an accident on the railway and there was a collection for his widow who was left with several children but I can't imagine she would have used the money for the monument.
                        (Surely she would have put George first as he died first.)
                        There was a long newspaper report at the time which mentions the great and the good of the town arranging a collection but it doesn't mention anything about a memorial.
                        It looks like this is another case of "we'll never know".

Thanks for the offer of a transcription of the wording but I have that already.
                        I keep hoping if I look every now and again there may be more information added on line !!

Sorry to ramble on but I thought you might like a bit of background information.

Again, very many thanks.
                        Cath.

Comment

I was wondering if it was the one and the same George Graham who came to grief on the railway. A well known story to local history and railway buffs.
                          When I got there, there were three bods at the church door to welcome visitors and I managed to establish that the lair books are not kept on the premises which is a shame. I was going to ask where they were kept but they were gone by the time I was finished. But never fear, I will track them down as when I left, I looked at the board to see who the Session Clerk was. No phone number given but it’s none other than Esther Preston. That is news to me as I’m sure her name was not on the board the last time I was at St Michael’s which was last year when I attended the funeral of Esther’s husband John who was previously Regional Librarian and my former boss of many year’s standing. Perhaps she took on the job for something to do after his passing. I only met Esther in the passing a couple of times at social events, she tended to keep in the background. I will try to get the hold of her and see if I can be allowed to view the original register. That should show when the lair was first purchased and by whom.

Comment

I’m having bother uploading the photos, I keep getting a failed to upload message. Will let the device fully recharge and try again later.

Comment

This is worrying. I have downloaded them to my laptop and still can't get them to upload. I hope they are not corrupted as my iPad seems to have died and photos are not on my iPhone as they should be. I got them in iCloud ok so goodness knows what's wrong. Please PM me your email address and I will try that when I get home after pubquiz.

Comment

Thanks.
                                When George died, his youngest child, Thomas, was only a few months old. Thomas was my grandfather who died many years before I was born.

Thank you for going to so much trouble but as you can see this is very close family and not just a twig.
                                Cath.

Comment

They have finally appeared on the iPhone. I am on my way home now. We won!

Comment

That’s them all gone now in two emails. Apologies that I have sent the view with the mausoleum twice. Hope they are ok.

Comment

I just wanted to say how lovely it is to see members going the extra mile for others. Gold star for GL
                                      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Yes, well done GL
                                        Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Working...
                                        X