Ellen Cavanagh help needed please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ellen Cavanagh help needed please

Hi, I’m after info on a Ellen Cavanagh who was born in about 1838/39 in Thurles Tipperary Ireland. Her father was John and mother was Mary. Ellen married a Charles Peterson in Troy, New York, USA on the 22nd of August 1855 and then both arrived in Melbourne Australia on the 24th of January 1856. Ellen died in 1903 in Rupanyup, Victoria, Australia and Charles died in 1895. Any help to find her parents, her birth certificate, her marriage certificate and 1845-1855 Ireland/England to New York/ Boston/etc, USA ships passenger lists, would be greatly appreciated, thx Mark.

Welcome to the forum.
    If Ellen was born in Ireland, then I'm afraid you won't be able to trace a birth registration for her - you would need to search for a baptism record instead. The following is taken from https://timeline.ie/general-register-office/

"The GRO or the General Register Office hold records of all births, deaths and marriages registered in Ireland. Civil registration in Ireland commenced in 1864, when it became compulsory to register these events. It should be noted that non-Catholic marriages were being registered from 1845. Civil registration in Ireland commenced quite late, when compared with England, which commenced in 1837 and Scotland in 1855."

There are some Irish subscription sites which have indexed church records, but I'm not sure that these are complete.
    It is also possible to search for free through the images of some Irish parish records, but you would have to search each parish individually and the records contain very little detail, making it extremely difficult to ascertain whether or not an entry really is for the people of interest. I'm sure someone on here will be able to provide you with the link to the relevant site.

Have you got an image for the Troy marriage?

To save people wasting their time, where have you looked already re passenger lists?

Jay
    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 13-08-19, 11:37.
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Hi and thx Janet in Yorkshire. Sorry, yes a baptism record and not birth certificate. I have looked on Ancestry.com for a passenger list. No image for marriage in Troy, New York, USA. I think the church in Troy, New York burnt down after a massive fire engulfed the whole city after 1855.

Comment

I think this might be Ellen Cavanagh’s parents wedding.

but she was born in Thurles, Tipperary, Ireland, so is Clonfert/Tynagh to far away for her parents to get married. It’s about 1 hour away nowadays, so maybe 3-4 hrs away in 1838 from Thurles. Or her parents might’ve lived near Clonfert and moved to Thurles after marriage.

Comment

2qst Feb1838 Marriage between John Cavanagh and Mary Kelly. I think it says Kelly.?.

Comment

Trove shows the death of Ellen Peterson 2 Feb 1903, but she was the daughter of Charles & Ellen Peterson of Rupanyup.

Beverley

Comment

Mrs Charles Peterson died Aug 1903. She was the proprietor of the Rupanyup coffee shop

Beverley

Comment

Originally posted by Macbev View Post
                Trove shows the death of Ellen Peterson 2 Feb 1903, but she was the daughter of Charles & Ellen Peterson of Rupanyup.
                https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/a...|||l-year=1903
                Yes, that was their daughter. Both mother Ellen and daughter Ellen died in 1903. Thx Fetchitnow

Comment

Sorry. 21st February 1838

Comment

Originally posted by Fetchitnow View Post
                    Hi, I’m after info on a Ellen Cavanagh who was born in about 1838/39 in Thurles Tipperary Ireland. Her father was John and mother was Mary. Ellen married a Charles Peterson in Troy, New York, USA on the 22nd of August 1855 and then both arrived in Melbourne Australia on the 24th of January 1856. Ellen died in 1903 in Rupanyup, Victoria, Australia and Charles died in 1895. Any help to find her parents, her birth certificate, her marriage certificate and 1845-1855 Ireland/England to New York/ Boston/etc, USA ships passenger lists, would be greatly appreciated, thx Mark.
                    This would make her about 16 when she married which, although possible, seems a little young.

One possibility could be the Ellen Cavanagh aged 13 who arrived NY with no apparent family on 10 Jul 1848 aboard the ship Hannah, which sailed from Limerick. This was the time of the Irish Potato Famine, and as Tipperary & Limerick are relatively close it could be worth considering, although how you'd prove it either way I've no idea!
                    Last edited by teasie; 13-08-19, 18:51.

Comment

The Thurles Famine Ration Book could be interesting: https://www.irishgenealogynews.com/2...s-thurles.html

Comment

Yes, she was 16/17 when she married in Troy, New York in 1855, because when the ship from USA arrived in Melbourne Australia on the 24th January 1856, she was listed as 17. Thx

Originally posted by teasie View Post
                        This would make her about 16 when she married which, although possible, seems a little young.

One possibility could be the Ellen Cavanagh aged 13 who arrived NY with no apparent family on 10 Jul 1848 aboard the ship Hannah, which sailed from Limerick. This was the time of the Irish Potato Famine, and as Tipperary & Limerick are relatively close it could be worth considering, although how you'd prove it either way I've no idea!

Comment

Comment

Ellen was 17 onboard the ship named Gertrude in January 1856 coming from USA to Melbourne Australia.

Comment

When is the PDF going to be released? Thx

Comment

When is the PDF going to be released for the - Thurles Famine Ration Book? Thx

Comment

Originally posted by Fetchitnow View Post
                                  When is the PDF going to be released for the - Thurles Famine Ration Book? Thx
                                  Ive no idea, and the museum appears to be no more, although you could try writing to the church as that's where it appears to have been housed:
                                  Last edited by teasie; 14-08-19, 01:34.

Comment

Ok thx Teasie.

Comment

Troy is actually a suburb of Albany New York State and I have found some of my marriages . Albany is the capital of NY and the main library of Nre York is at Albany. Many of my own ancestors webt from Thurles to Albany . The Cavanagk/Kavanagh name is well known in Thurles and some of my ancestors had Kavanagh as witness and sponsors at marriages and Baptisms in Cork so not sure if a branch of the Cavanagh libe moved to Cork but some did follow my Great Grandfather from Thurles to Cork so worth trying Cork City area for possible marriage. Julia Kavanagh was a writer from Thurles and I often wonder if it is the same Julia Kavanagh who is down as a sponsor for my Grandfathe.

Troy marriages and baptisms were online a few years ago which is where I found some of mine. They used to have an excellent website Try a google search for Troy Albany . Failing that you could send an e mail to the New York County Library at Albany to see if they can help you in any way.

Janet

Comment

Originally posted by teasie View Post
                                        The Thurles Famine Ration Book could be interesting: https://www.irishgenealogynews.com/2...s-thurles.html
                                        About 5 years ago they talked about these books going online but I am still waiting!! I think they have now decided you will have to visit St Marys Church to see them. I went many years ago to the Famine Museum at St Marys Church in Thurles and took lots of photos but they did not have the fanine books open to the public when I went. Although it is a Church of Ireland Church there are many catholics buries there. I wrote down all my family interest names because although I cannot link any of them I am sure many are mine further v back in history but that is Irish History for you

Janet

Comment

Working...
                                        X