The THOMPSON TWINS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The THOMPSON TWINS

I am looking for the Christian names of twin girls who lived, with their parents, in the off licence on the corner of GARFIELD road Friern Barnet in the 1930s. I have tried all the usual sources an am drawing a blank.
    Would appreciate any help.
    Thank you to any who can help
    Edward George

Have you looked on the 1939 Register?
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

How old would they have been at the time?
      Anne

Comment

There are no Thompsons on Garfield road on 1939 Register. Garfield Road is actually in Southgate M.B.

You say it was on the corner. Do you know the name of the other road? It is probable that the off licence was actually addressed in that and not Garfield.
        Either that or they were not there in 1939.
        Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

there reg of electors in the area, depending how old they were? Like Kat says maybe the other road might help.
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
          Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

there are 2 girls born in 1925 registered in Barnet with same mothers maiden name, could this be them?
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Yes that must be them.
              The marriage is found for the parents.
              I have found the father with off licence. There are 4 other redacted entries for the address.
              90 Station Road, Southgate M.B, Middlesex

Kat

Comment

This is the Ancestry URL:

Kat

Comment

I think the mother may not have died until 1993 aged 91. Which would explain why she is still redacted in 1939. There are only three redacted below the father as the fourth one is living at no 92.
                  Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

good find, did start looking, found marriage and realised the time! needed sleep.

I wasn't sure they are still alive.

Is Garfield road still there?
                    Last edited by cbcarolyn; 03-08-19, 10:14.
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Comment

Has anyone sent a PM to Edward to give him the likely names of the twins. We obviously can't post anything as they may still be alive.

Comment

With such common names and no middle names it could be a needle in a haystack. Especially if they didn't stay in the same area.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                          I think the mother may not have died until 1993 aged 91. Which would explain why she is still redacted in 1939. There are only three redacted below the father as the fourth one is living at no 92.
                          Looks like no 92 is included in household no 78 then as the next household at 94 is no 79.

I looked on Google street maps view and it is virtually all new build so no Garfield. Railway runs along LHS
                          Last edited by Katarzyna; 03-08-19, 10:38.
                          Kat

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                            Has anyone sent a PM to Edward to give him the likely names of the twins. We obviously can't post anything as they may still be alive.
                            I suspect he knows the names Chrissie - probably still alive. Maybe he will be back later - no hurry.
                            Kat

Comment

If you look just below the last redacted line Kat you will see a tail which I took to be the bottom of the 9 of no 92.

p.s. I agree - he will be back.
                              Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 03-08-19, 10:51.

Comment

Thanks to all for your guidance, I hope I have got it right.
                                I found the twins R & M. R married F A F in 1947. F A F had a son, born to another woman, after his marriage to R, in 1948. This son D H F married B B in 1970.
                                An old story in a relative family states that the son was adopted by his father, but I think the father F A F to custody.
                                This was the info I was trying to confirm for my relatives.
                                Again thanks to all who contributed. EG

Comment

Working...
                                X